PDA

View Full Version : Thin kerf with splitter and blade guard?

Joe Shinall
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a Unisaw and I like the blade guard with the splitter and anti kickback when I am cutting things like plywood (large pieces basically). Can anyone tell me if they know if the splitter will work with a thin kerf blade???

Gerry Werth
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
If your manual does not say, measure the thickness of your splitter with a calipers, and compare that to the width of your current or planned thin kerf blade...usually around .95 inch. I have the Griz 691 with splitter, and cannot use a thin kerf blade, your's might be the same.

Joe Shinall
02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah, a caliper... The one hand tool I do not have in my shop. I'll pick one up tomorrow and check it. Thanks for the idea, long hard day and I couldn't think of that I guess :o I have a feeling it can't be used with it, which sucks because I like it so much and wanted to get a thin kerf blade.

Don Morris
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Could not use the thin kerf with my Biesemeyer splitter for the Unisaw as it was toooo wide. It's not on a Uni, it's on my Griz 1023, but same, same. One of the reasons I gave up and just simplified things in my shop and only have regular width blades. ZCI's aren't ZCI's either when you change to thin kerfs. Measuring became a pain too. Wasn't that great a benefit in cutting with a sharp regular width WWII blade.

Will Rowland
02-08-2010, 11:50 PM
For the Biese splitter, Lee Styron with Shark Guard can mill his splitters down so they will work with a thin kerf blade. He doesn't list the thin kerf option for the Biese splitter onhis website, but he gladly milled some down for me at no charge. Make sure you notate right or left tilt if you plan to occasionally use a full kerf blade and corresponding splitter (so that you won't have alignment issues when switching between splitters, since only the part of the splitter projecting through the table is milled down).

Joe Shinall
02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
For the Biese splitter, Lee Styron with Shark Guard can mill his splitters down so they will work with a thin kerf blade. He doesn't list the thin kerf option for the Biese splitter onhis website, but he gladly milled some down for me at no charge. Make sure you notate right or left tilt if you plan to occasionally use a full kerf blade and corresponding splitter (so that you won't have alignment issues when switching between splitters, since only the part of the splitter projecting through the table is milled down).

Awesome Will! It does give me the option for thin kerf with the Right tilt unisaw. It's also great pricing for a splitter. This is definitely what I am going with.

Jack DuBois
02-09-2010, 2:19 AM
I was lookin at the newest Unisaw and saw they had 2 different splitters as accessories. They also list the splitter thickness and give recommendations how to size the splitter vs. the blade. Cool site - sweet saw!