PDA

View Full Version : Shop made turning tools

Bill Bolen
02-08-2010, 6:27 PM
Finally got around to cleaning out the shop and blowing MOST of the sawdust out the door. Didn’t have the heart to start throwing big ‘ole shavings in the nice clean shop so I dug around in the junk drawer for parts for some tools I have been wanting to make. A 3- point tool in 3/8” size. The brass hex nut which forms the ferrule also serves as the sharpening guide to get a perfect 3-point grind. Just lay the darkened flat on the tool rest and press it into the wheel. Every other flat gives you the 3 points. I must say I am impressed with the performance of this tool for facing off and cutting beads. Even does some planning cuts well. The other is a 3/8” round skew. Must say the catches are reduced with the round shank and I don’t really understand the “why” of this but it works. I’ll be posting a few more tools later…Bill..

Bill Bolen
02-08-2010, 6:36 PM
Also Knocked out my versions of the easy wood tools. A Ci0, Ci1 square cutter, Ci1 radius cutter and the Ci2. I really like the big ci1's for hogging out big rounds quickly and the ci2 is great for pens. Kind of disappointed with the ci0 though. It is hyped as a bowl hollowing tool but in my case there is way too much fine tear out than I get with a bowl gouge. Got the bits and mounting screw from WC and the 1/2" and 3/8" square key stock from my local hardware store...Bill...

John Keeton
02-08-2010, 6:59 PM
Nice work on the tools, Bill. I bought from another creeker a Ci1 copy, and it works fairly well, though the screw works loose quickly.

BTW, how did you recess for the round cutter?

Bill Bolen
02-08-2010, 7:30 PM
John, I just drilled a hole to match the size of the cutter, then drilled the screw hole and finally flattened out the mounting site with a flat file down to about half the depth of the flat steel shaft. Finally tapped the screw hole...bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2010, 7:34 PM
Bill I have one of those 3 point tools. They work pretty darn slick. I watched a video that a guy made on using the tool. I also have the 1/4" round skew and like you don't know why it works but it sure does especially on small finials, birdhouse perches, etc.

cody michael
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
how long do you cut the metal stock to? how far into the wood does it go? and how far does it stick out?

David E Keller
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Great looking tools.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason that the recess on the round nose scraper has to be round? I understand the reasoning for the underside support being round, but I can't think of a reason that the relief on the top of the tool would need to be.

Bill Bolen
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Dave I wanted the bit to fit snug so it did not rotate even if it loosened.
Cody the steel is 2" into the handle stock. Shaft length varies. I believe the ci2 knockoff has a shaft length of 5" while the longer tools are more like 8". Whatever feels right to you is the correct length...Bill....

Mike Minto
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
hey, nice tools, bill. have been wanting to make and try out a 3-point tool, but didn't know a good way to consistently grind the blade flats - your idea of using a hex nut obviously solved that - now i have to make one!

Mark Hubl
02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Nice job on the tools Bill. They look great. Since I just finished a long shop clean up:D, and have some poly drying on several pieces, you have pushed me over the edge. I ordered some drill rod and carbide cutters to make some Hunter-esq tools over a month ago. Time to do some metal work. Thanks for the motivation!:)

Brad Vaughn
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Well I to crafted a tool today. I did the Ci1 version and boy do I like this tool for cleaning out a bowl.
Tool making must be in the air
Oh and I did buy the shield
Brad

Porter Bassett
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
William -- where did you get the cutters for your knockoffs? I was looking at the carbide cutters McMaster Carr the other day trying to figure out if they'd work for this or not.

Mark Hubl
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Porter,

If you are looking for round cutters try Carbide Depot. I got mine there. They are a little off the beaten path on their website. Go to "Technical Resources" then scroll down to woodworking.

Mark Hubl
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Bill,

I have question also. Are you using specialized insert screws to hold the carbide? I made the mistake of only buying one screw for my cutters. The little screws are an odd size and expensive. I have been looking for a substitute.

Bill Bolen
02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Mark about a 50/50 mix here. Some use the screw that came with the cutting bit from WC. Others I had the cutter as an extra and just used a screw from Home depot bag. Just make sure you use a counter sink bit on the screw hole below the cutter and the screw will fit right in. I think in the pic you can see one of the screws is slotted rather than an allen type...Bill...

Porter Bassett
02-09-2010, 2:20 PM
Thanks! Do you know of a resource for square inserts?