PDA

View Full Version : Newest Project finished

Carl Eyman
10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Back on June 23 I posted a picture of a tall clock I was about to start on. Todd Burch asked me how long it would take me. I guessed October and that is what it was. The movement has not arrived yet nor has the face. The second picture shows the temporary face - thank goodness it's temporary.

Donnie Raines
10-25-2004, 12:48 PM
I like that a lot!!...great looking item and the details are wonderful.

Rich Konopka
10-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Carl:

That is absolutely beautiful. Wow !!

Sorry, I'm not talking about the face. :rolleyes: :p :D :p :D : :D :eek: :eek: ;)

Ted Calver
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
That looks like a Grandfather Clock to me:):) Beautyfull work!!
Ted

Betsy Yocum
10-25-2004, 1:12 PM
Carl - I forgot to give you my shipping address - I have a great place for that clock! ;)

Absolutely gorgeous - !!!!

Betsy

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 1:17 PM
Carl - I forgot to give you my shipping address - I have a great place for that clock! ;)

Absolutely gorgeous - !!!!

Betsy

Betsy,

I'll keep you in mind when I make a couple of GF Clock's next year. ;) :D

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 1:18 PM
Excellent work Carl!!!!! Very well done in deed.

Betsy Yocum
10-25-2004, 1:25 PM
Betsy,

I'll keep you in mind when I make a couple of GF Clock's next year. ;) :D
Please do Dennis :) - I hope to be that good some day - that's a huge project - but they sure are gorgeous.

Betsy

Michael Stafford
10-25-2004, 1:39 PM
Carl, like me you have a face only suitable for radio. But that clock is wonderful and it is truly too bad that others have dibs on it before me. Nice job! Please post pictures when you are finished...

Dan Gill
10-25-2004, 2:01 PM
Carl, there's a man in your clock! :D

Great work!

Dave Anderson NH
10-25-2004, 2:08 PM
No, not the face, the clock body. Great job Carl, who's movement did you decide on and is there going to be a custom painted face or did you pick a stock one? As always, your workmanship is superb. I'll be looking forward to seeing you again at the conference in Williamsburg in January.

Carl Eyman
10-25-2004, 2:33 PM
It is a hand painted face but not a custom one. The movement is a Hermle movement from Murray clock where I got the plans. I'm not sure which one; my son ordered it. See you in Williamsburg. I am staying at Great Western and will be in Saturday PM. If there is a group getting together for dinner, I'd like to be a part of it.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-25-2004, 2:42 PM
Carl, That is so beautiful; you must be very proud. I love the door arch details. You are an A1 clock maker! What was the hardest part to do? Alan in Md.

Brad Hammond
10-25-2004, 2:47 PM
THAT IS JUST FABULOUS!!!

great work!
brad

Lynn Sonier
10-25-2004, 2:51 PM
I have watched this clock come into being, being a frequent visitor to the shop. If you think the clock looks good in the pictures, you should see it in person. It is really a beautiful, beautiful piece of work - both the clock AND Carl.

Lynn

Todd Burch
10-25-2004, 3:32 PM
ACTUALLY, Carl, I think I asked when would it be done for ME!!!

Seriously, it looks geat!! I'll be making my first clock (Shaker Tall clock) probably later this year. I'm planning on spending a max of 3 days on it, but it won't be NEAR as fancy as yours. :)

Todd

Ted Shrader
10-25-2004, 3:33 PM
Carl --

The clock is beautiful . . . . Hope the new face comes soon! :) :D :)

Regards,
Ted

Alan Turner
10-25-2004, 5:18 PM
Nice work, Carl. I think you must have done a ton of carving on this guy. That is not a fast process. I am building a piece now with a bunch of carving,and it does go slowly. I am thinking of adding to my signature line: "If you see me rushing, it is either becuase I am making a mistake, or fixing one." This is especially true with carving, at least for this newbie carver.
Which parts did you need to carve? The top molding for the broken pediment? The top of the lower panel? Much of the arches?
Alan

Dick Parr
10-25-2004, 5:38 PM
Carl it looks great. Can't wait to see it completed.

Very Nice. :)

Carl Eyman
10-25-2004, 6:16 PM
The toughest part was the swan neck moldings on the pediment and getting the 45* miter right where it goes back along the sides. There is no surface one can measure from. What I did was to make a plywood plaque the same size as the overall dimension of the pediment board ( he one that backs up the swan neck molding as well as the molding directly above the door). I drew the curves on this piece and fastened the moldings to it so they were in the right place with regard to the curves. Now with the table saw blade tilted to 45* I pushed it thru the saw once for the right side and once for the left. Then I unfastened the pieces from the plywood and screwwd them on the pediment. The miter saw did ok cutting the matching 45* cuts.

As far as carving, no, there wasn't a lot. I made the pediment moldings mentioned above as two laminations so I could cut the curves on the router table. This created some irregularities that had to be smoothed out with carving tools. What did take time was going thru the above procedure with poplar for practice and then in walnut for real. Oh, yes there are two large cove moldings where the waist joins the base and again at the hood. I didn't want to spend $120 for a router bit; so I hogged out as much as I could on the table saw and then carved and sanded the rest.

This design is one that Murray Clock Co. sells in kit form. So the plans and instructions are oriented toward assembly rather than milling the parts. The advantage of buying plans from them is one knows he can get a movement to fit the case. Before starting construction I spent a couple of weeks trying to draw up full size plans of the clock Mack Headly and Karre Loftheim made at Williamsburg last year. Then I found I couldn't find a movement that would fit. Hence I went this way. It is not the most elegant clock, but it was within the scope of what I could do.

Jim Becker
10-25-2004, 8:04 PM
Beau-ti-ful!! Nice job on a great project, Carl. And BTW, I see a nice new avitar growing in that one shot. I'll try to remember when I get home from this business trip to do the "Hollywood" thing for you... :D

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 8:07 PM
Sweet...can't wait to see it finished! :D

Bruce Page
10-25-2004, 8:41 PM
Beautiful job Carl!! I have always wanted to build a grandfather clock, I doubt that it would turn out as nicely as yours though. Be sure to post some pics when you get the hardware installed.

Pat Monahan
10-26-2004, 2:12 AM
A "grand" job, Carl! The Missus thinks that would be at home in our livingroom....hmmm... you keep your shop unlocked, right? :) Looking forward to the finished pics
Pat

Tom Seaman
10-26-2004, 9:08 AM
Very nice! What type of finish did you use on the walnut - I really like the look of it.

Tom

Mike Mastin
10-26-2004, 9:17 AM
I am continually amazed at what woodworkers can craft from raw lumber. Excellent job again. :)

Carl Eyman
10-26-2004, 9:30 AM
The finish is about 15 coats of seedlac shellac and 4 coats of Waterlox (gloss and satin mixed). The first coats of shellac were applied as I finished one section or another. Then I built up the coats at the rate of 3 per day sanding only after the 3 coats had dried 24 hours. Finally when I had the color right and the pores pretty well filled I wiped on the Waterlox leaving a surface free of brush marks. Then, finally, I used gray ScotchBrite with Watco's Satin Wax to rub out the cloth marks that did show. It was the first time I'd used WaterLox, but won't be the last.

Jason Tuinstra
10-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Wow, great work. Make that, really, really great work! Be sure to post a picture when you get the movements and permenant face - no offense intended :D

Terry Hatfield
10-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Carl,

WOW!!!!! Fantastic work. The clock is simply beautiful...well...except for that temp. clock face. :D

t

Lou Morrissette
10-26-2004, 3:00 PM
Great work, Carl. The detail is beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Pete Rosenbohm
10-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Just great Carl i knew you would do a great job on the clock:D i sure like to get up your way to see your work. I'm probably and hour from your house.
I'll talk to you when you get back, Pete.