PDA

View Full Version : Turning tree limbs

Prashun Patel
02-08-2010, 4:48 PM
Dumb q from a newbie turner: Is there anything decorative that people routinely make from thinner tree limbs (3" diameter x 12-36" long)? They're aplenty around me, but I can't think of anything besides legs or spindles. I'd really like to make something that's displayworthy by itself...

Vague enough forya?

phil harold
02-08-2010, 4:54 PM
6" lengths you can make mushrooms out of them
good practice if nothing else

Rick Prosser
02-08-2010, 5:04 PM
You can try tea light candle holders, pendants, finials, pull chain ends, or ring holders. That's a few to start with.

There is always skew practice too.

Be aware of the pith and the challenges that come with leaving the pith in the work.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2010, 5:13 PM
I make small boxes.

If it has nice heartwood, sometimes the top looks really nice if you can get the finial (or whatever you properly call that thing on the top) the color of the heartwood and the box the color of sapwood.....

alex carey
02-08-2010, 5:29 PM
bud vases are always fun.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120354&d=1244686035
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120545&d=1244879701
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120547&d=1244879771

Wally Dickerman
02-08-2010, 6:01 PM
Natural edge goblets....

Wally

Steve Vaughan
02-08-2010, 6:05 PM
ditto to all that above!

David E Keller
02-08-2010, 6:16 PM
birdhouses and ornaments could be added to that list.

Bill Bolen
02-08-2010, 7:31 PM
Lidded boxes are always just right in size for limbs...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2010, 7:36 PM
I make a lot of ornaments and birdhouses out of them.

Jack Gaskins
02-08-2010, 8:30 PM
Will the pith in the limb cause spliting?

Joseph M Lary
02-08-2010, 8:57 PM
I have done these natural edge end grain goblet. They are done in green wood ,got the idea out of the book Turning Green Wood . you want wood with the pith that run off center form side to side. They are fun to turn, and do not take a lot of time to do, they make good practice. Its about a 3" round 6" to 8" tall ,turn it thin it will dry in a few days . the wood is Honeylocust branch.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2010, 9:21 PM
Will the pith in the limb cause spliting?

Yes, sometimes. I use CA in the cracks, and hopefully it won't crack completely. The smaller branches seem to not crack too much. Maybe they have not been around long enough to start storing all those stresses. If you center the pith well, the hairline cracks don't look bad at all. Actually, I kinda like the cracks. As long as they not too big. The hairline ones look cool IMO. Kinda like spider webs.

Brian Effinger
02-09-2010, 12:01 AM
birdhouses and ornaments could be added to that list.

Ditto that one. Check out my gallery Shaun.

Wes Henson
02-09-2010, 1:03 AM
Make some snowmen. They are great for skew practice. You can use them as-is or paint them ofr a fun project

Thomas Canfield
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Shawn,

Limbs can make some interesting turnings. Here is a small bowl made somewhat as result of dare to make something from scrap limb cut from trunk. The bowl is about 5"L x 2 1/4"W x 5/8" H and 1/8" max thickness of Maple with poly/oil finish. To me it has been a prize and gets comments.

Another interesting way to turn limbs with a crook is to make the crook the bottom/base and then use as much of the limb each side as you feel safe having fly past on the lathe. I have seen some of DonAlbrecht's in Hawaii that were about 6 to 8" wide and had up to 42" span. http://www.hawaiicraftsmen.org/DonAlbrecht.htm

Scott Lux
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Pens! That's how I got into this.

We have a tree that we were given after a family member died. When it needed pruned the first time, I knew I had to make something out of the limb.

I centered the pith, and therefore drilled it out. Of course that was beginner's luck. My wife loved it, and I was hooked on turning.

Lux

Wayne Jolly
02-10-2010, 3:21 PM
Depending on what species you have, you could make some kitchen spoons, and forks, etc. used for cooking. I have made some out of ash and aspen. They ain't too purdy, but they are useful. They might turn into pretzels after they are made, but you have had some fun making them.

Wayne

Wayne Jolly
02-10-2010, 3:30 PM
Just saw another post and thought of this one. Don't remember if these have been mentioned yet, but yo could also make rings, bracelets, ear rings, pendants, necklaces, napkin holders, etc.

I just remembered I made two rings for my daughter. One was purple heart with a maple band in the center. The other was a "matching" ring made from maple with a purpleheart band for her friend.

Wayne