PDA

View Full Version : How Did SMC Get started?

Rich Konopka
10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm curious in that I have picked up that many of the members of SMC have come over from another forum. What is the story? I would be interested in hearing the different perspectives.

I have found SMC to be a real cool place to hang out and learn about this thing they call woodworking.

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
the way i understand it is that a pond drained dry and the sawmill creek down stream grew bigger :D seriously i dont know the particulars but there was a badger pond forum, and they started this one later after that one dissolved. there are many here who know the whole story. mine is just from listening. so dont take anything as being golden just a reveiw.

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 1:12 PM
Rich,

Many of us used to be on a WW Forum called "Badger Pond" ran and operated by Wayne Miller. It's a LONG story and I don't feel that all the details need to be expounded here. Any way, it was time to close down Badger Pond according to Wayne and Keith volunteered to setup, host and run a new WW Forum. It was voted on to call it Sawmill Creek. Some moved over to WoodCentral and others here. While many are BOTH places now days.

That's the short of it. :rolleyes: :D

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 3:17 PM
Expound, expound!!! :D I never knew the "Badger Pond" but I hear about it all the time.

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 3:20 PM
Expound, expound!!! :D I never knew the "Badger Pond" but I hear about it all the time.

cris you are an instigator for sure, when a ex military man, says no! you really should listen to him, he knows how to make things go boooom :D

Ted Shrader
10-25-2004, 3:22 PM
Chris -

That is one of those things best talked about over a beer at the next get together. Long involved story, lots of subtleties best not aired here.

Dennis's explanation is a good one.

Regards,
Ted

ps - Thanks, Keith, Aaron, and Jackie and to the volunteer moderators that keep the particular forums going.

Ted

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 3:54 PM
Chris -

That is one of those things best talked about over a beer at the next get together. Long involved story, lots of subtleties best not aired here.

Regards,
Ted

ps - Thanks, Keith, Aaron, and Jackie and to the volunteer moderators that keep the particular forums going.

Ted

Ted is correct on this one. This is NOT a topic to be discussed in details via a WW Forum. Come to the next CSBBQ and I'll expound!!! ;) :D

Rich Konopka
10-25-2004, 4:19 PM
I'm sorry if I opened the closet door. I did not think there were any ghosts ;) behind it. I just sensed a deep camaraderie with some of the (pardon the expression) "old timers" at the creek.

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 4:28 PM
Okay...how many beers will the story take??? :D :D

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 4:29 PM
Okay...how many beers will the story take??? :D :D

Chris,

Shouldn't take but about THREE to get through the story.!! :D

Bruce Page
10-25-2004, 5:31 PM
Chris,

Shouldn't take but about THREE to get through the story.!! :D
Three!?!? Dennis, I don’t think you know the whole BP story. I figure it should take about a 12 pack. :D

Steve Jenkins
10-25-2004, 5:36 PM
Three!?!? Dennis, I don’t think you know the whole BP story. I figure it should take about a 12 pack. :D

and that's just if there is only one person telling it.:>)

Dick Parr
10-25-2004, 5:36 PM
Dennis I'll bring mine (12 pack that is). :D :D :D

JayStPeter
10-25-2004, 6:01 PM
FWW had an online interview about the end of the pond by Kim Carleton Graves. Just Google "wayne miller badger pond" and pick the "Looking back ..." link. You will also find some other links that may explain a little more. Like the others, I keep my personal opinions out of the forums.

Jay

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 6:10 PM
Dennis I'll bring mine (12 pack that is). :D :D :D

Make it a 24 Pack Dick.....It could make for a long story.!! :rolleyes:

Tony Falotico
10-25-2004, 9:10 PM
Chris -

Regards,
Ted

Ted

Dennis and Ted are dead on when they say it's best not to dwell on drained ponds ........... But Ted HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD:

THANKS to Keith, Aaron, Jackie, Ken, Dennis and all the others who keep the creek flowing !!

It's wonderful to have such a great place to relax after a hard day !!

Martin Shupe
10-25-2004, 9:30 PM
There I was...(aviators always start out stories with "there I was")

Swimming in the Badger Pond...

Then someone decided to "pull the plug", and the Pond started to drain; rather quickly, I might add.

Keith took the water out of the Pond and made a creek, and a very successful creek at that. THANKS KEITH!!!

I am proud to say that I was one of the first to join, (although I forget what number I was). I was in the creek before the infamous "week of lost threads". :eek:

I was not one of the early Ponders, only getting there about a year before it closed.

Most of the Ponders split between here and Woodcentral, a lot post both places. Every once in a while, someone pops up who was in the Pond and was offline when it closed down. They show up in a forum and usually ask "where'd the Pond go?"

I must admit, I wondered whether Sawmill Creek could duplicate the camaraderie of the Pond. I am pleased to say that Sawmill Creek has exceeded all expectations. Again, THANKS KEITH, AARON and JACKIE!

Jerry Olexa
10-25-2004, 9:32 PM
Maybe we should tap a keg or two. Sounds like a long but interesting story..I've often wondered myself because in its day, Badger Pond was a major player. Anyway, I'll have another draft....

Ted Shrader
10-25-2004, 9:35 PM
There I was...(aviators always start out stories with "there I was")Holding their hands in the air. Then they try to shoot down their wristwatch with their other hand. :) :D :D :)

Ted

Martin Shupe
10-25-2004, 9:43 PM
Holding their hands in the air. Then they try to shoot down their wristwatch with their other hand. :) :D :D :)

Ted

...and it is really hard to miss a wristwatch as big as a dinner plate. :eek: :D :D