PDA

View Full Version : Just poisoned my dog!

Paul Atkins
02-08-2010, 2:34 PM
Not on purpose though. I used a flea control called TriForce. I used it as indicated and the dog went nuts. This is my first 'real' dog since I was a kid. My wife had a border collie/Australian shepherd when we got married so it was really hers. We lost that one a year and a half ago. Anyway, she has been hosting and socializing rescue dogs at her shop during the day and this one just had to come home with us. A 5 month old Havanese mix at 12 lbs. We noticed a flea and got the stuff and used it as directed. Within an hour he was all hopped up and scratching like crazy. Someone said he was allergic to flea saliva. This lasted 2 days till we figured it was the poison. A bath helped we think, but he twitched every 3 seconds to scratch. Slowly rubbing his neck constantly kept him from ripping his hair all out. When I fell asleep my hand stopped and he started right up again in 5 seconds. He did not sleep for 3 days and 2 nights - we didn't either. Very strange. He was a different animal than we had ever seen. Today he is 90% normal with a very small bit of nervous scratching. So how how to deal with this in the future. Any sure fire flea remedies that don't include nerve damage? Whew! Here's a before picture. A real bench dog.

Bob Borzelleri
02-08-2010, 2:53 PM
What a drag! Cute pooch. What about those sonic collars? I wonder if they work? At least they would not poison him.

Lee Schierer
02-08-2010, 3:45 PM
Check with your vet. Most of those materials are dosed for different sized animals and may not be suited for smaller sized animals. A Great Dane is going to need more chemical than a Chihuahua. Too much chemical can cause the type of reaction you describe. Incidentally the bath probably did little except clean your dog. The chemical is absorbed into the skin within a very short period of time and doesn't wash off. We use Frontline Plus on our dog and he has had no reactions other than no fleas. We use a similar product on our cat. Haven't seen a flea in 3+ years.

Harry Hagan
02-08-2010, 4:11 PM
This is a VERY controversial subject. I’d suggest you do some research. Here’s what the FDA thinks about it:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm169831.htm

Also, check with your local veterinary emergency hospital. They’ll know which brands are the most frequent offenders. Unfortunately, you won’t know what’s safe for your pet until they’ve tried it.

Brad Wood
02-08-2010, 5:10 PM
never heard of TriForce. We have been using Frontline for years and it has worked perfectly. This is suggested per our vet.

I don't know if I agree with Harry's assessment of this being "VERY controversial". Here is an excerpt from the link he lists

"EPA does not advise pet owners to stop using spot-ons, but asks them to use caution and make informed decisions when selecting treatment methods."

That doesn't sound like controversy to me at all. I have a good relationship with our vet and they know our four dogs very well... if there was a serious concern about these products, they would have brought this up to us during one of many visits since this time last year.

Of course all dogs are different so there will always be dogs that will have some sort of reaction to products like this... just like there are people that have adverse reactions to products that for the most part aren't a problem.

I hope the little guy gets better quickly

Harry Hagan
02-08-2010, 5:48 PM
Just Google “FDA investigates flea treatments” and see if you haven’t opened a can of worms. The FDA itself has sparked a lot of controversy on the way it has addressed, and some will say; failed to adequately address this topic.

Brad Wood
02-08-2010, 6:15 PM
Just Google “FDA investigates flea treatments” and see if you haven’t opened a can of worms. The FDA itself has sparked a lot of controversy on the way it has addressed, and some will say; failed to adequately address this topic.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I just called Frontline. Their active ingredient is fipronil, which does not fall into the " pyrethrins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin) or synthetic versions called pyrethroids." category.

Additionally, Frontline is regulated by the EPA.

So, I think I'll stick with Frontline. :)

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2010, 6:16 PM
We've used most all of the treatments. Never had a bad reaction. But lately, the fleas have just laughed at the Fontline. Guess they got immune to it. LOML came up with a pill that took care of the problem in short order. I have no idea what it's called. I'll try to remember to ask this evening.
Again, this was recommended by one of our Vets. Jim.

Peter Stahl
02-08-2010, 6:53 PM
If it were me I'd talk to the Vet about it. My JR got a booster shot one time and he had a alergic reation to it and benadryl helped big time with the hives and itching. You could actually see spots through his fur, we should have taken pictures.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Just asked LOML. What she is using for our guys and the rescues is Comforis. It's in pill form, so none of that stuff you aren't supposed to get on you.
What really got us, was one time she used the Frontline, or Advantage, and the dogs got up on the leather sofa. NOT GOOD!!!! It took the color out of the leather!! You can still see the spots. Jim.

Larry Frank
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
It sounds like it may be an allergic reaction but a vet could tell better. I have a small miniature dachshund that is allergic to some of the standard shots. To get her through them, we give a dose of benadryl the childrens version before the shot. This has prevented any additional allergic reactions. You should talk with a vet to be certain that it is OK in your case. It just might help.

Scott T Smith
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Just asked LOML. What she is using for our guys and the rescues is Comforis. It's in pill form, so none of that stuff you aren't supposed to get on you.
What really got us, was one time she used the Frontline, or Advantage, and the dogs got up on the leather sofa. NOT GOOD!!!! It took the color out of the leather!! You can still see the spots. Jim.

Actually it is "Comfortis"

My wife is a Vet, and Paul as soon as I mentioned your problem she picked up on the fact that you probably used a pyrethrin based product and it caused an alergic reaction.

She recommends Frontline Plus, Advantage, Advantix, or Comfortis. The downside to Advintix is that it is a colar and can be hazardous to children. She also recommends that you ask your vet's counsel as to which products work best in your area.

She says that anything with permethrins or pyrethrins should be avoided, as basically you are putting insecticide on your pet, which is not a good thing...

Mike Cruz
02-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I, too, use Frontline. Well, on my dogs, not on me...

But also agree that you should take the dog to the vet (a good vet) and discuss this with him/her.

Rick Potter
02-09-2010, 3:57 AM
We have been using a vitamin product called Flea Treats for about 3 months now. Our black lab was going crazy this summer with fleas, biting her hair off.

We went to the fair, and saw this product. www.fleatreat.com

We have been using them on our two cats, and three dogs. The two outdoor dogs no longer have fleas, and the coats of all the animals looks better. The two indoor cats seem to be shedding less too. All the animals love them.

The acid test will be this summer, when we see if the fleas return. Strange, because we seldom had a flea problem till this year.

Rick Potter

Lee Schierer
02-09-2010, 2:04 PM
We have been using a vitamin product called Flea Treats for about 3 months now. Our black lab was going crazy this summer with fleas, biting her hair off.

We went to the fair, and saw this product. www.fleatreat.com

We have been using them on our two cats, and three dogs. The two outdoor dogs no longer have fleas, and the coats of all the animals looks better. The two indoor cats seem to be shedding less too. All the animals love them.

The acid test will be this summer, when we see if the fleas return. Strange, because we seldom had a flea problem till this year.

Rick Potter
Supposedly Brewers Yeast tablets will make your dog unappetizing to fleas. That may be what's in the treats you are buying.

Harry Hagan
02-09-2010, 3:00 PM
I, too, use Frontline. Well, on my dogs, not on me...

Think about it: If you have physical contact with your dog, or contact anything your dog has come in contact with—you are exposing yourself to the pesticide; unless you’re wearing protective clothing and dispose of it properly.

tyler mckee
02-09-2010, 9:42 PM
I use program for my dog, its a tablet that you give the dog once a month, works by preventing flea larvae and pupae (eggs). No problems so far.

Rick Potter
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
It has a lotta vitamin B1 and other stuff in it.

Rick Potter

Archie Hendrick
02-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Even though I'm in Musher country, I raise and train English Springers for hunting and field trialling and have used Frontline for years with great results. I've never found a flea or a live tick on my dogs even though we travel to some pretty tick-infested areas to hunt and compete.

FWIW, my vet frequently serves as a vet for the Iditarod (and last year completed the race himself). He uses and recommends Frontline as well.

David Epperson
02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Our vet clued us into a little flea control trick. When you bathe the pet...use a GREEN soap/shampoo....fleas really don't like what's in the green dye...regardless of the brand of detergent.