PDA

View Full Version : new fuji gun, gravity or siphon feed?

Chris Friesen
02-08-2010, 2:17 PM
I'm a novice at spray finishing. I'm thinking about buying a Fuji spray system, but I thought I'd get some opinions on which gun to get. I anticipate using it mostly for furniture projects (tables, bookcases, chests of drawers, etc.). This will NOT be for production use...I have a young child so my project time is severely limited.

Their two choices are siphon (http://www.fujispray.com/hvlp_components.html) or gravity (http://www.fujispray.com/parts_accessories.htm#gtx_spraygun).

Both are pressure assisted. The gravity cup is 400ml, the siphon is 1000ml.

I like the simplicity and ease of cleaning of the gravity feed. I think that the cup should be big enough for most things I'd spray, but I would welcome comments from those more experienced than me.

chris dub
02-08-2010, 3:07 PM
I'm no expert, but in my research if I had been paying regular price or the same price, I would have gone with a gravity feed gun for the flexibility and ability to use more of the finish without leaving any in the bottom of the cup. It also is better on up and down angles. Now I wouldn't (and didn't) turn my nose up at a good deal on a siphon gun system, which most of the good deals I have seen seem to be. But that is also probably a bit telling...

Mike Goetzke
02-08-2010, 3:10 PM
I believe that gravity fed gun has a pressure cup. I personally like the top cup guns better because they get into tighter spaces easier.

Mike

Larry Fox
02-08-2010, 3:46 PM
I think that for the size projects you are talking about that the gravity one would give you good service. I would see if you can try both but I have had several syphon guns and find them pretty fatiguing for long runs and I think it is a good practice to get as much of the finish off the gun as possible. I also think that the gravity guns tend to be better balanced which should give you better control.

If you have the compressor for it I would also look into a conversion outfit. I have had a Fuji and it was a very nice outfit but for the $$ you could put together a decent conversion outfit and likely still have some $$ left over. Take a look at everyone's favorite auction site at item 170436001517. This is just one example. Hook a water trap at the end of your compressor run and hook this to it and you are off to the races.

Jason Strauss
02-08-2010, 4:09 PM
Chris,

I'm not sure what your price point is. If you're like most (or at least me), economy is the name of the game.

I spent the better part of this weekend spraying a kitchen cabinet project. I, too, am not in a production environment. This was for a family member. That said, I wanted a decent system that produced quality results, that I could use over and over, and didn't break the bank. I opted to purchase a gravity fed HVLP gun from Menards. It comes with a regulator that allows you to use a 'smallish' air compressor (mine is 20 gal.). At around $40 (I think I got it for $35 on sale), I wouldn't recommend anything else to guys like us in home shop situations.

Once I got the thing properly adjusted, there was virtually no overspray and the gun worked flawlessly. Very easy to disassemble and clean up.

My only complaint would have to do with the weight of the thing...and even that was not too bad. My left arm is pretty sore, but that has more to do with 13 face frames, 22 doors, and 5 drawer fronts all with three coats of water based poly.

Good Luck!

Chris Friesen
02-08-2010, 6:04 PM
Jason, price is certainly one of the factors.

For me to use a compressor based gun I'd almost certainly need to get a new compressor as well. My current one is a small two-tank portable. It's been fine for nailers and such (though stapling my underlayment had it pretty warm) but I'm pretty sure that it couldn't handle anything more than a small detail gun.

Definitely something to consider though, as a sufficiently large compressor could also run air tools.

Jamie Schmitz
02-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I would also add that if you picture yourself doing a lot of underneath cabinets you might be better off with a pressure pot.The one drawback to using a gravity fed is it will drop out if the cup is upside down. Also the fatigue might be an issue for extended use.This one needs a compressor too and a long air hose.Make sure and get the right tip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DN7FLO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000OUW7PM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05EN9SJRK9PQJMXVS0BD

Chris Friesen
02-09-2010, 1:28 PM
I would also add that if you picture yourself doing a lot of underneath cabinets you might be better off with a pressure pot.The one drawback to using a gravity fed is it will drop out if the cup is upside down.

The Fuji cup is on a friction swivel so that you can spray upwards with the cup still above the gun.

As you suggest though, for long periods of upwards spraying a pressure pot would be the way to go.

Rob Cunningham
02-09-2010, 1:35 PM
I have used both and like a gravity feed gun better. It's easier to clean plus I think it feels more balanced. A full 1000 ml cup can get pretty heavy when your trying to spray a wide surface like a tabletop.