PDA

View Full Version : Delta Planer value

Josh Bowman
02-08-2010, 1:47 PM
Hi guys.
Don't tell the Neanderthal folks I'm here ;)
A friend has a 15"....he thinks Delta thickness planer. It's old and runs on 220 volts. It's a ways away so I havn't gotten to see it yet. He doesn't know what to sell it for and I've looked on Craigs List and Ebay. Even though Craigs list seems to have several, I can't see if they actually sold for what it was advertised. Do any of you know any other resourses to value something like that?
Thanks Josh

Matt Day
02-08-2010, 2:55 PM
owwm.org should be a good source

Alex Shanku
02-08-2010, 3:57 PM
owwm.org should be a good source

No, it would be a poor source. Appraisals/pricing is not practiced there.

Get some more info on the planer and the guys here will be able to assist you.

Josh Bowman
02-08-2010, 3:58 PM
No, it would be a poor source. Appraisals/pricing is not practiced there.

Get some more info on the planer and the guys here will be able to assist you.
The info is coming. Thanks for the help.

Don Jarvie
02-08-2010, 4:33 PM
Get at least the model number and Serial No. You can go to OWWM.com and find our rhe year it was made and see restored photos of similar machine.

The go to OWWM.org and search in The Shop with the Model number and you can get an idea of what people have done to restore the machine.

Are you looking to buy it or just trying to get him a price?

Josh Bowman
02-08-2010, 5:40 PM
Get at least the model number and Serial No. You can go to OWWM.com and find our rhe year it was made and see restored photos of similar machine.

The go to OWWM.org and search in The Shop with the Model number and you can get an idea of what people have done to restore the machine.

Are you looking to buy it or just trying to get him a price?
I'll be buying it from his Mom. She's a widow, trying to give a fair price w/o hurting myself. That's why the current info is a little sketchy. We think it's a delta or rockwell 15". Tomorrow I should have more info. I just needed an idea, if it's one of these. It's fairly old and was bought from a quality hardware supplier in this area, that's why I'm sure it is name brand. They paid $900 20 or more years ago. He said it's been used a good bit. I'm thinking $400 it it's in good shape and a name brand. But I really don't know much more. Oh ya, it's mounted on a homemade roll around stand, that put's it in the smaller of the old planers. He any has a guess, it will be worth it, in case I need to make a quick decision.

Peter Quinn
02-08-2010, 9:10 PM
I bough a used delta DC-380 with about 15 years on it a few years back for $325. It needed a lot of cleaning and tuning, and the previous owner had scraped the table pretty good with some nails in reclaimed pallet stock. Mine is a solid performer and fair bit better than a lunch box that would have cost more IMO. Don't know if that gives you any ballpark. The DC-380 is a 15" 220V small iron planer.

Josh Bowman
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I bough a used delta DC-380 with about 15 years on it a few years back for $325. It needed a lot of cleaning and tuning, and the previous owner had scraped the table pretty good with some nails in reclaimed pallet stock. Mine is a solid performer and fair bit better than a lunch box that would have cost more IMO. Don't know if that gives you any ballpark. The DC-380 is a 15" 220V small iron planer.
That's exactly what I need. Thanks Any others bought one of this type....?

Bruce Wrenn
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't think Delta was making planers twenty years ago under The "Delta" label. It would have been a "Rockwell", most likely. Rockwell made two different 13" planers. One is the size of a small refrigerator, weighed close to a 1000 pounds. It was made to compete with the PM 100. Then Rockwell came out with the RC-33 (also 13"), which became the Delta DC-33. When it was enlarged to 15", it became the Delta 380. I have both the Rockwell refrigerator and a Delta 380. I paid $600 for the 380 five years ago, in mint condition, with an extra set of sharp knives. There are several clones of the Delta 380 out there, but they are all good machines. A fellow wood worker here picked up a "clone" for $200 recently. Just the planer, no stand.

Mike Heidrick
02-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't think Delta was making planers twenty years ago under The "Delta" label.

1990?? Sure they were.

Don Jarvie
02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
From what I have seen for 15 inch Delta planers around 300 to 400 would be fair, but you really need to see it.

If it needs work like bearings 300 would be fair and the less work the closer to 400.

Harold Shay
02-09-2010, 3:49 AM
the dc-380 will bring from $700 to $900 here is phoenix. It depends on the condition.
Harold

Josh Bowman
02-09-2010, 7:50 AM
From what I have seen for 15 inch Delta planers around 300 to 400 would be fair, but you really need to see it.

If it needs work like bearings 300 would be fair and the less work the closer to 400.
Hey, that's a good point. If it is a delta or rockwell, what flaws do I look for? How do I know the bearing are bad?
Thanks for all this help.
I will be looking at it. It's a long ways off and I'm suppose to get some specific info today on it, but am trying to lay the ground work. Was there a 15" powermatic that far back?

Alex Shanku
02-09-2010, 9:25 AM
Hey, that's a good point. If it is a delta or rockwell, what flaws do I look for? How do I know the bearing are bad?
Thanks for all this help.
I will be looking at it. It's a long ways off and I'm suppose to get some specific info today on it, but am trying to lay the ground work. Was there a 15" powermatic that far back?

If its an older planer, its best to assume they are, and plan on fixing it. $20 and a few hours is well worth the peace of mind, imo.

Josh Bowman
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
This just in. The planer is a Taiwanese, 3 horse power 15" planer. It has a number on it "1986B". The motor is 110 or 220 volt. Has a ser. number of 3275. It works, would this be a Delta/Rockwell knockoff? If so, I bet the value just went down. Again I'm trying to be fair. I'm going to make the trip tonight to look at the thing and get by all this guessing. But if you have any general info, it would be helpful.
Josh

glenn bradley
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't think Delta was making planers twenty years ago under The "Delta" label.

1990?? Sure they were.

I trip over this time/space continuum problem too as I get older. It just doesn't seem like it could have been 35 years ago that I bought a brand new Delta contractor saw ;-).

Don Jarvie
02-09-2010, 1:01 PM
This just in. The planer is a Taiwanese, 3 horse power 15" planer. It has a number on it "1986B". The motor is 110 or 220 volt. Has a ser. number of 3275. It works, would this be a Delta/Rockwell knockoff? If so, I bet the value just went down. Again I'm trying to be fair. I'm going to make the trip tonight to look at the thing and get by all this guessing. But if you have any general info, it would be helpful.
Josh

You have to keep in mind that its a 15 inch planer so the range could be 250 to 300. It's going to depend on the condition.

Have the guy run it and plane a board or two. You'll be able to hear any problems.

Josh Bowman
02-09-2010, 8:35 PM
Thanks you all for the help on this matter. I did go over and look at the planer. I've included several pictures at different angles. I ran the head up and down and it's worked fine. I ran a board through it a couple of times and it cut nice shavenings and no unusual noises. There are 2 black knobs I haven't a clue what they do. One on the front right and one on the back left. They are horizonal and would have guessed that lock the head, but screwing them in tight didn't seem to prevent the head being cranked.
It does have a spare set of blades. We could not find the manual. It was bought 24 years ago at a local mill and mine store. They imported them and slapped thier label on them with serial number. No model numbers though.
What is your opinion on the value? I'm am a little worried about the ability to get parts wish it was a Delta or Rockwell.

Mike Archambeau
02-09-2010, 9:43 PM
Hi guys.
Don't tell the Neanderthal folks I'm here ;)
A friend has a 15"....he thinks Delta thickness planer. It's old and runs on 220 volts. It's a ways away so I havn't gotten to see it yet. He doesn't know what to sell it for and I've looked on Craigs List and Ebay. Even though Craigs list seems to have several, I can't see if they actually sold for what it was advertised. Do any of you know any other resourses to value something like that?
Thanks Josh

Josh;

I have a Delta planer that is 20 years old. It is the 13 inch little brother to the 15 inch that you are considering. I paid about $1100 way back then. It also runs on 220 volts. Norm Abrams used a planer like mine on the NYWS before the 15 inch model came out. Mine still works brilliantly, but I admit that it has been very well cared for and has not had that much use. If you did the 50% rule here, it is not unreasonable to think about 500 to 600 bucks.

Josh Bowman
02-09-2010, 9:57 PM
Josh;

I have a Delta planer that is 20 years old That's the problem, I goofed up this thread by thinking it was a Delta. It's a Taiwanese knock off. It looks just like a Delta DC380 though. Just need a feel for the value. And am a little worried about parts.

Alex Shanku
02-09-2010, 9:59 PM
Thanks you all for the help on this matter. I did go over and look at the planer. I've included several pictures at different angles. I ran the head up and down and it's worked fine. I ran a board through it a couple of times and it cut nice shavenings and no unusual noises. There are 2 black knobs I haven't a clue what they do. One on the front right and one on the back left. They are horizonal and would have guessed that lock the head, but screwing them in tight didn't seem to prevent the head being cranked.
It does have a spare set of blades. We could not find the manual. It was bought 24 years ago at a local mill and mine store. They imported them and slapped thier label on them with serial number. No model numbers though.
What is your opinion on the value? I'm am a little worried about the ability to get parts wish it was a Delta or Rockwell.

Just my opinion, but I would hold out for another planer. I waited a year to find a Boice Crane, and spent about 1/2 the cost of a new Dewalt on it....

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
The planer is NOT Rockwell/Delta; just a clone. It is only a generic Taiwan 15" planer (without a real stand) These have changed very little in the past 25ish years that they have been offered. Grizzly parts will probably replace anything that you need. (a Dust Hood for sure!) Since this planer is a No-Name-Brand, a generic price is in order. $250 would be fair--$300 if you feel generous. You will get your money's worth, and so will the seller.

Great Post and I agree. Parts should interchange and I am betting not a lot will ever go wrong except replacing blades. For $250 it would be a steal and worth you making a nice stand for it! And when you are ready you should be able to get your $250 no problem. Keep in mind screaming loud lunchboxes will cost more than this so people will love the 15" capacity.

Chip Lindley
02-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes Josh, NOT Rockwell/Delta; just a clone. It is only a generic Taiwan 15" planer (without a real stand) These have changed very little in the past 25ish years that they have been offered. Grizzly parts will probably replace anything that you need. (a Dust Hood for sure!) Since this planer is a No-Name-Brand, a generic price is in order. $250 would be fair--$300 if you feel generous. You will get your money's worth, and so will the seller.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2010, 11:21 PM
There was a very similar no-name one on Craigslist here for $295 last week.

Don Jarvie
02-10-2010, 2:56 PM
Concur with $250.

Josh Bowman
02-10-2010, 3:22 PM
Concur with $250. Guys, thanks for you help. I did purchase the planer today. The widow, can use the money so I took it for $300. I don't think either of us took a beating from what I got from you all. Again thank you very much....used tools are hard to price.
You know that does bring up a subject. I know I have lots of tools and if I went to the big work shop in the sky, how my widow would know how to deal with the investments, I've made.

Chip Lindley
02-10-2010, 5:21 PM
Contrats Josh! I think you will surely get your moneys worth from that hunk of cast iron! It's hard to hurt one of those planers!

As for family putting a price on our tools and machinery after our demise, make a list! Either written in a notebook, or burn on a CD in MS Excel. Itemize everything. (good for insurance purposes also)

List the price paid for the items when purchased new or acquired used. Half of list is one rule of thumb, but some sought-after items will bring more on a given day. (take W&H moulders for instance) Your generic planer is at the other end of the spectrum.

At least family will have something as a basis to compare your tools to current prices on ebay or CL for a ballpark idea of what the item is worth, and price accordingly.