PDA

View Full Version : My "private" lumber yard... my first gloat!!

Dave Gaul
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok guys & gals, I can't keep this a secret anymore! Well, the location will be kept a secret!

Good friend of mine and his gf decide to move in together. The rent a house on a fairly large lot. Lot has a few detatched buildings. One of the detatched buldings has two stories, second floor of this building his FILLED with stacks upon stacks of rough lumber!!! There is Poplar, White Pine, Yellow Pine, Fir, Oak and hard Maple! Best part... my friend tells me to take it all!!! Get rid of it he says! His landlord says it's all his, do whatever he wants with it!

I havent touched the oak yet, but I have used the maple and poplar. Haven't found any figured maple yet, but the maple I have found is pretty nice! So far I've made my daughter's drawing table, my step-sons Bakugan display case, and have a whole ton of other projects on the list! Not to mention, I have co-workers willing to pay top $$ for different things!

Went there yesterday to get some white pine for the fish tank stand LOML wants, and found a whole stack of Oak (that's what made me think to finally post this!)!

Ok... I'm done now (I think!)

Chris Kehl
02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Dave, that's awesome! Almost as good as finding a muscle car covered with a tarp in a barn somewhere. Congrats!

Dave Sharpe
02-08-2010, 1:15 PM
Great find for you, and a pretty generous friend to boot! But consider whether all the facts are straight. Do you truly have permission from the owner to take the wood, and does he/she know the value of the wood in the barn. I'd be concerned that once the owner finds out that there is valuable wood being taken, he'll expect payment! Be sure to get it in writing - and offer something in return (perhaps a nice piece of furniture made from all that wood).

TANSTAAFL! (any Heinlein fans out there?)

Aaron Wingert
02-08-2010, 1:42 PM
If it has been offered I'd get it ALL out of there before the landlord changes his mind!

Good score!

Dave Gaul
02-08-2010, 1:50 PM
Dave, I appreciate and understand your concern. I know for a fact it is ok to take the lumber, I do not want to disclose the full reason, because it may help reveal the location, but let's just say the buildings on the property won't be there forever!

I have offered to make a furniture piece for them, but they are not interested. They say their home is too cluttered already! I may just ignore that and make them something anyway!

Aaron, I am trying my best to get as much as possible! We have 4 kids at home, and I have limited "preferrable" storage spots for the lumber, so not the easiest task!

Dave Sharpe
02-08-2010, 2:17 PM
Dave, In that case - SCOOOOOORE! good for you for doing the due diligence to make sure it's all on the up and up.

Paul Johnstone
02-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Aaron, I am trying my best to get as much as possible! We have 4 kids at home, and I have limited "preferrable" storage spots for the lumber, so not the easiest task!

I got an opportunity to get a bunch of cheap wood (not free like you).
80% of my garage is full now :lol: It stinks to have to scrape the cars in the morning, but I probably have a lifetime supply of wood now.
I'd grab it all now. Even if you have to take over the garage for awhile while you sort it. At bare minimum, grab all the oak and maple. My fear is that someday the building will be knocked down, and they may not warn you. It would be a shame if all that wood went to the landfill.

Could you build a shed on your lot with some of that pine? Just something to store the wood in?

Don Jarvie
02-08-2010, 4:28 PM
Get all the good stuff 1st (cherry, maple, etc) and then go back for the cheap stuff (pine). I'd stick it anywhere I could until the LOML told me that's enough.

phil harold
02-08-2010, 4:59 PM
Get all the good stuff 1st (cherry, maple, etc) and then go back for the cheap stuff (pine). I'd stick it anywhere I could until the LOML told me that's enough.
You can stack some behind the couch!
that way it will be aclimated when you need it:p

Chris Harry
02-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Behind the couch, under the bed, in the back of every closet, in the attic (?), in the garage....plenty of places to hide your gloat!

-Chris

Harold Burrell
02-08-2010, 7:26 PM
Behind the couch, under the bed, in the back of every closet, in the attic (?), in the garage....
...in my garage...

Jeff Willard
02-08-2010, 8:14 PM
TANSTAAFL! (any Heinlein fans out there?)

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Heinlein fan? Not really. But it's common knowledge amongst right-wing and libertarian(ish) gun nuts. I know this because...I once knew a gun nut:eek::rolleyes:.

Chris Tsutsui
02-08-2010, 9:37 PM
That's one lucky gloat.

One of these days I want to find an estate sale that has a barn full of lumber for my taking.

If I didn't have storage, it would justify me to make a shed to store it. heh

Bob Heist
02-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Arrrrggghhh!!! That's great! I grew up in Sinking Spring and now live in Las Vegas where I can't find any decent lumber to save my butt.

Lived on a farm where the entire woods behind the house was nothing but black walnut. Would love to be back there now that I'm doing woodworking.

Joe Shinall
02-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Dave, you are in luck! I just built a new lumber rack and have no lumber on it! There is plenty of room for whatever you want to send down. :D

Steve Kohn
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Sell some of the wood and use the proceeds to put up a shed to store the rest.

Or sell 90% of it and use it to make a shop with storage for the remaining 10%.

John Shaffner
02-08-2010, 11:48 PM
If I ever ran into a deal such as this, I KNOW where LOML would tell me to stick it!;) She thinks that just because I have lumber, I have to make something with it. I tell her that I'm just puttin' money in da bank. I fugure if I don't use it up before I go to the Great Lumberyard in the Sky, then she can sell it all off and have enough $$ to bury me with!:D

BTW, where's da pix!?

John

Mike Cruz
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
I think you need to make this friend of your's something nice. Great score. Great having friends like that!

Dave Lehnert
02-09-2010, 1:01 AM
Is the pic police off tonight?

You know the rules. No pic, Didn't happen:D

glenn bradley
02-09-2010, 1:05 AM
I see no wood. Otherwise I would say congrats, you lucky dog.

Dave Gaul
02-09-2010, 9:19 AM
I have been working on storage solutions. I have 3 small lofts in my shop, 1 already has some of the maple in it. I am beefing up the lofts so they will hold lots of this lumber! I also have a smaller shed for lawn equipment next to my shop, thinking I can make some storage space there too.

I will take some pics the next time I'm over there, hopefully tomorrow after work, although we are supposed to get at least 12" of the fluffy stuff tonight, but that may not stop me!

I'll take some pics of what I got the other day, I actually have some pics of projects I've made with this lumber that I need to post!

Mike Cruz
02-09-2010, 7:28 PM
Would love to see the pic, Dave. Post 'em when you get a chance...

Dave Gaul
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Well, there was WAY too much snow 'round here yesterday to make it over to my "private" lumber yard, but I took some pics last night in my shop of my last grab. Sorry about the pic quality, used my blackberry... didn't even think to as LOML to bring her Nikon D40 out and take the pics for me!

I will be going back for the maple and oak first, got the pine to make a fish tank stand for LOML, not something I want to use maple or oak on...

Lori Kleinberg
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh man You are so lucky.
How about a collective "you suck" :D

Dave Gaul
02-11-2010, 2:53 PM
Ha I know! And I haven't even posted some of the really interesting finds from this stockpile!! First time I went there, I grabbed a bunch of boards from a pile labled "maple"... well it wasn't all maple! Some was pine, some was poplar, but there were a couple boards that I milled to stock and I have no idea what they are!! They have some kind of color streaks in them! Gonna have to get the Nikon out there and post some more pics!

Don Jarvie
02-11-2010, 3:53 PM
Maybe a good time to add some racks on the walls of the shop.

Also, I know this is a cardinal sin, but since you have access to quite a bit of good wood you may want to clean out your shop and get rid of the "I might need this some day" wood since you have better wood to replace it.

Donny Lawson
02-11-2010, 4:02 PM
I've got alot of room in my buildings so let me know and I'll watch some of it for you.After all what are friends for.
Donny

Dave Schreib
02-11-2010, 9:49 PM
If it has been offered I'd get it ALL out of there before the landlord changes his mind!

Good score!

+1 Get it out of there.