PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
8 Feb 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
Well woke up this morning to snow on the ground and more snow on the way. This has been the coldest winter with the most snow and ice that I can remember since moving to Arkansas in 1999.

Well, no woodworking for me as I've been working a LOT at the day job and dealing with family issues. My dad has been diagnosed with some type of cancer and we are all still waiting to see what the test results are for what this really is. This goes to prove that even if you are a "health nut" like my dad, eating all the right stuff, doing all the right stuff, and doing all you can to be healthy? Doesn't promise you a healthy life until you pass away of old age. What a shock to the entire family over all this.

The only thing I'm working on right now, as I get time, is repairing some chairs for a lady at church. They are all but falling apart, but getting them apart without damage has been the challenge. Right now, she's giving me one chair at a time...so if you have any wisdom to pass on about chair repairs? Please do so.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dave Gaul
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Friday I completed my step-son's birthday present, a Bakugan display case (pics and definition of Bakugans to come!), just in time for his party!

Saturday, spent most of the morning shoveling the 18"+ of snow until the neighbor came over with is snowblower! Once that was done, got in the shop and started making him and his wife a set of picture frames as a "thank you"!!

Sunday, went to my "private" lumber yard (I'll explain that in another thread!) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132288 to get some white pine for the fish tank stand LOML wants and began prep'ing that, then watched the Colts get beaten down by the Saints... OH YEAH!!!

I am very sorry to hear about your father.

Brian Tymchak
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Dennis,

Sorry to hear abour your father. Hope things work out as best they can.

Aside from digging out from the Friday/Saturday snowstorm (11") I was able to get the split tops, upper, and lower rails, on my 21st Century workbench to final dimension. Moving those tops through the planer and back around took some real choreography with roller stands, a work table, and saw horses. I was a little apprehensive that my planer would pull through such a large and heavy chunk of wood (each 1/2 top is 98"x12"x3.5" and ~115 lbs) but it worked like a champ! (see pic)

Brian

Matt Meiser
02-08-2010, 1:10 PM
Dennis, sorry to hear about your dad.

I worked some in the basement getting a new door rehung after finishing and painting a wall that we had built to enclose our previously open basement stairs on the recommendation of the insulation contractor who did our attic this summer. Seems to be making a pretty good difference in keeping the cold basement air and warm upstaris air from mixing. Also picked up some store-bought shelving from that blue really big box store for my daughters' area (can't say play area anymore since its evolving into more of a reading/watch a movie/art area--man she's growing up fast!) I can't justify building it myself for what the RTA stuff costs.

I also got the gearbox on my planer assembled and tried to get a set of belts on it. For future reference V-belts are measured OD, not ID and the trick about wrapping a string around the pulleys really doesn't work since the measuring tool will seriously under-measure! The Napa guy tried to guess the right size and sent me home with several to try but none worked. Ran and picked up the right one this morning so I could make sure and have them order the second from the warehouse in time to get it this afternoon. Hopefully tonight after making sure the tractor is ready to go for tomorrows snow I can power it up for the first time.

Bobby McCarley
02-08-2010, 2:56 PM
Dennis, sorry to hear about your dad, will keep him in our prayers.

Worked all weekend so no shop time. Besides it's been either too wet or too cold. Where is the drought and global warming everyone keeps talking about?

Did manage to see history made for the New Orleans Saints. Great game and both teams gave it their all.

GO SAINTS!!!!
Bobby
Louisiana

harry strasil
02-08-2010, 8:15 PM
FWIW Dept. Find an old long V belt and cut it somewhere, keep it handy and use it to wrap around pulleys with a piece of masking tape on the back side to mark where the end comes to for V belt measurements in the future and mark down the V belt # for a machine in the owners manual somewhere for the next time.

Fred Voorhees
02-08-2010, 9:15 PM
Started a new project Friday after work and worked on it pretty much through the weekend. Making a coffee table that I have been mulling around in my head for a few months. Only other thing I did all weekend was eat, sleep and clear snow from my driveway with the snowblower.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Continuing to pray for you guys Dennis. Trust the One with the answers. He will see you through.

I found something this weekend that I lost a couple of years ago....MY SHOP!!! It has been a really, really long time since I did anything out there other than pile junk in it. I spend all day Saturday just cleaning, organizing and throwing away. The trash guy prolly got a hernia today. It actually looks like someone cares now. :D

Joe Shinall
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry about your father Dennis. He is in our prayers as well as the prayers of many I am sure. My mother, grandmother, and Great aunt have all fought breast cancer so I know how well prayers can be.

Built 2 giant storage cabinets in the shop today to get rid of 2 small cabinets that were taking up wall space as well as a bunch of small junk around the shop. Rearranged it a bit and figuring out my Dust Collection system. Also drilled Dog holes in a newly acquired workbench and started on a shelf to go above my tv in my Master.

Hoping to get everything in order this week to start building bookcases for the living room entertainment center next weekend.

Jim Becker
02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Well....there was this to deal with...thankfully with the big orange power tool from Kubota...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/feb-snow-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/feb-snow-3.jpg

And then I had my Saturday riding lesson on Sunday due to the snow that kept everyone from the barn on Saturday. Not much else got done...

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Well....there was this to deal with...thankfully with the big orange power tool from Kubota...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/feb-snow-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/feb-snow-3.jpg

And then I had my Saturday riding lesson on Sunday due to the snow that kept everyone from the barn on Saturday. Not much else got done...

Yikes Jim!!! That alotta snow

Matt Meiser
02-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Whoa--there's a blast from the past. :D I was wondering what old thread got pulled up for a second there. Good to see you!

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Whoa--there's a blast from the past. :D I was wondering what old thread got pulled up for a second there. Good to see you!

Hey Matt. How's it going? Better to be an old thread than no thread at all I suppose. :D

Cody Colston
02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
First,

Sorry to hear about your dad, Dennis. I'll put him on my prayer list.

Terry, it's great to see you back posting again and, evidently, preparing to start woodworking again. You haven't been around since right after Katrina hit N.O. but you certainly haven't been forgotten. I was hoping you would rejoin us at some point.

As for the weekend, I got to babysit the Grandson. LOML and her mom went to Austin to visit a sick aunt, taking daughter no. 2 with them. Daughter no. 1 spent the weekend at a friend's house so it was just me and the 15 month old here. We had a blast, too. I sure missed the little tyke after his mother picked him up Sunday.

Jim Rimmer
02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker;1338656]Well....there was this to deal with...thankfully with the big orange power tool from Kubota...
QUOTE]
Jim, where are you in PA from DC. My son lives in Purcellville, VA west of DC. I talked to him several times over the weekend about the snow. Broke a 125 year record.

Jim Dunn
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey Matt. How's it going? Better to be an old thread than no thread at all I suppose. :D

Wow I haven't seen this name in a long time. Terry your making me feel old:D Good to see you on here again.

Fred Voorhees
02-09-2010, 6:48 AM
Continuing to pray for you guys Dennis. Trust the One with the answers. He will see you through.

I found something this weekend that I lost a couple of years ago....MY SHOP!!! It has been a really, really long time since I did anything out there other than pile junk in it. I spend all day Saturday just cleaning, organizing and throwing away. The trash guy prolly got a hernia today. It actually looks like someone cares now. :D

Terry, good to see you back! You will forever be memorialized in my shop due to those terrific blast gates that I built from your design. They work absolutely great.

Bret Duffin
02-09-2010, 9:15 AM
My shop never has been and never will be as clean as Terry's.

I had a long weekend due to a lack of paying jobs so I've spent the last five days trying to wear out all my tools. I was unsuccessful in the complete destruction of my chain saw. I had some logs I needed to make into lumber so my little saw became a freehand sawmill. I ran about 5 gallons of gas oil mix through the saw but ran out of logs and the saw still runs although the muffler keeps falling off. Not bad for a forty year old Homelite that I inherited from my grandfather.

Also tried to wear out my band saw and table saw.

Under the present rate of use, my broom has little chance of wearing out.

Back to my paying customers today, groan.

Wayne Hendrix
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I built most of a new bench to hold my Delta lathe so I can get it off my work bench and get something done.