PDA

View Full Version : "New" Tool Gloat - Maybe?

truitt sosebee
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I stopped in a new pawn shop in my area the other day and they had an old Record #04 plane in the box for $10 and a Roy Underhill woodworking book for $2. When I went up to pay for them, the guy asked if I was a woodworker and went in the back and came out with a HUGE chisel. I asked him if he was going to sell it, and he said "Nope, how about a late Merry Christmas", and handed it to me! He also said that he had already sold the Record jack plane that he got from the same lady, but he got $12 for it. I sharpened and tuned the plane and it is a keeper. I guess the chisel would be used for timber framing or something like that? No markings on the chisel, only a sticker of a British flag. Is it gloat worthy? Does it have any value?

Jim Koepke
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
You have got to be kidding. Let me pinch myself.:eek: OK, I am awake.

The chisel is commonly called a slick. I do not recall seeing one on ebay for less than $60 and they are usually more.

The Record is also a good find. And Chuck reminded us you also got a good deal on the book.

Life is tough at times, but not today.

jim

Chuck Tringo
02-08-2010, 11:42 AM
That looks like a slick in the 2 to 2 1/2 inch range, they are normally used for timber framing and ship building....new they run around $100+ and used....well, I've seen old ones that don't look near as good as that go for over $100 as well, that is definitely gloat worthy, as is the book and the plane, I think what they normally say around here is....
YOU SUCK !!
....and congrats :D

David Gendron
02-08-2010, 2:23 PM
Man that is to bad... To bad I live where I live, there is no way I could put my hand on tools like that for that price up here. Good for you!

James Taglienti
02-08-2010, 3:18 PM
Very excellent, you got about $150 worth of stuff for 12 bucks! Now you gotta sell that stuff, repeat the process, and soon you'll have a barn full of bedrocks for free!

truitt sosebee
02-08-2010, 3:49 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone. I think I'll put the slick on E-bay since it seems that it has some value and I don't really think I'll be using it much.