PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen an Epilog fail like this?

Daniel Reetz
02-08-2010, 10:24 AM
After a couple of vector jobs cutting 3mm ply, my laser started making strange noises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5cuq-xM6g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5cuq-xM6g&feature=channel)

Then it stopped cutting correctly -- the attached image shows what happens when I try to cut a square. Any idea what this is? This couldn't have come at a worse time. :(

(I emailed my Epilog support guy, but I probably won't hear from him for a while yet)

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
When my tube went out the first time, it did "randomly dotted" lines but no noise. The only time I got noise was when the x motor went out, actually froze up when the shaft bent. Much less expensive than a tube. Does the head move freely when the power is off?

Peck Sidara
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Daniel,

Unfortunately I'm unable to pick-up anything from the video. The picture though, looks like the laser is intermittently firing. A few questions.

Where are you located?
What Epilog model do you have?
Does this only occur in vector mode?
Do you have any problems in raster mode?
Did you change anything prior to having this issue? (settings on machine, PC, driver, firmware?)
When you're running the square vector job, what are your settings, Speed, power, frequency?

Let us know so we can offer some suggestions.

Daniel Reetz
02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately I'm unable to pick-up anything from the video. The picture though, looks like the laser is intermittently firing. A few questions.

I suppose you can hear the bizarre scratching sound though? That started happening while the laser was idle, and after that, I started getting the intermittent cutting.

Where are you located?

Fargo, ND, USA

Epilog Zing 24, 30W, less than 1 year old.

Checking this in ~20 minutes...

Did you change anything prior to having this issue? (settings on machine, PC, driver, firmware?)

Nothing, it was vector cutting acrylic perfectly all night and then failed.

When you're running the square vector job, what are your settings, Speed, power, frequency?

25% speed, 100% power, 3000hz.

I'm going to make a quick phone call and then go test some settings. Thank you for the quick response, Peck.

Peck Sidara
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM

I suppose you can hear the bizarre scratching sound though? That started happening while the laser was idle, and after that, I started getting the intermittent cutting.

Where are you located?

Fargo, ND, USA

Epilog Zing 24, 30W, less than 1 year old.

Nothing, it was vector cutting acrylic perfectly all night and then failed.

25% speed, 100% power, 3000hz.

I'm going to make a quick phone call and then go test some settings. Thank you for the quick response, Peck.

Thanks Daniel, I can indeed here the noise but wasn't sure if that noise occurs when sitting idle or while cutting. If the noise is present all times (both idle & vector mode) then it could be coming from the laser source.

Recommendation:

If available, run a simple test on anodized aluminum. Test consists of raster text/image (anything) with a vector box outline (kinda like a rubber stamp). Size can be approximatly 3"X3" overall. For raster, run using 100%S, 35%P. For vector, run 20%S, 30%P, 5K Frequency.

Call tech support at 303.215.9171 and have a picture of your sample ready should they ask for a similar test/sample of fault. They'll likely ask you similar questions to the above, follow their lead for ultimate resolution.

They'll be able to trouble-shoot & get parts to you tomorrow, if needed.

Daniel Reetz
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
As far as the noise is concerned, I can only hear it when the laser is idle.

I will prepare the sample you described and give tech support another call.

Daniel Reetz
02-08-2010, 1:23 PM
Well, the test piece worked OK, but subsequent cuts in acrylic did not work so well.

If I change the power to 98% and up the frequency to around 3500, it cuts well enough to get the job done, though I don't trust it to last.

Haven't received a return phone call or email yet.

Rodne Gold
02-08-2010, 1:39 PM
Vector cutting with dotted lines would tend to indicate a RF board tuning problem or partial failure.
I doubt it will cure itself so be prepared to send the tube away for repair.

Daniel Reetz
02-08-2010, 5:36 PM
I talked with a tech a few minutes ago. He seemed to think it was a fan problem, that the fans aren't keeping the tube or RF board cool enough, so it is shutting off intermittently. I disassembled the machine and vacuumed it out (was a little dusty, though not much).

We'll see what happens. I was able to cut with it again, but as you said, Rodney, I doubt it will last. Glad it's under warranty.

Joe Peacock
02-08-2010, 5:45 PM
Good luck with your problem. I know how you feel when you are having problems and you are up against a deadline. I am sure that Epilog will help you fix it.
Joe

Emily Wilson
02-09-2010, 9:11 AM
Hi Daniel,

I believe that the tech support at Epilog will help you until your problem is completely solved and your unit is back on track.

Emily Wilson
Sculptor

Porter Crest
09-29-2011, 2:21 AM
Was there ever a solution found for this issue? I am seeing a similar issue, I replaced the main control board and all was good, now I'm getting a perfact dotted vector line and bad looking raster with gaps in the etch that repeat locations?