PDA

View Full Version : Foley Saw File Sharpener

Peter Gavin
10-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Hello all. I stopped at a garage sale Friday and there was this huge old piece of machinery all covered with gunk. When I asked what it was the seller pulled out a manual for a "Foley Saw File Sharpener". It looked like it was mostly designed to sharpen hand saws (including retoothing) with some other attachements that enabled it to sharpen circular saw blades. I guess for $15 I could have brought it home to enjoy taking apart, but it appeared to be missing some of the attachements like the saw vise. Should I drive by and see if it ended up in the trash? It looked heavy duty enough to be used in a professional sharpening shop.

Thanks

Peter

Tom LaRussa
10-25-2004, 12:59 PM
I guess for $15 I could have brought it home to enjoy taking apart, but it appeared to be missing some of the attachements like the saw vise. Should I drive by and see if it ended up in the trash? It looked heavy duty enough to be used in a professional sharpening shop.
I vote yes, definitely.

In fact, I'd even ring the bell and ask if they'd still take $15 for it.

But I'm nutty about such things... :p

Steven Wilson
10-25-2004, 2:05 PM
The saw sharpener is different than the retoother or the saw set. The saw holding carrige isn't too expensive. If you're looking at the retoother and need the bars for the different pitches then you're looking at close to $500 for a complete set. I have a Foley retoother and it's a great tool but be very carefull when you buy one - parts can be outrageous.

Rick Whitehead
10-25-2004, 4:34 PM
I too would say yes. Even if it's incomplete, you can still make money parting it out.
If you decide to learn to sharpen handsaws,it will take a while to learn to use it.
I have a Foley model F-16 that was given to me. It took me about a dozen tries on some old sawblades I had before I tried to sharpen any of my good saws. It's NOT an automatic process; you don't just walk away and forget about it. It takes careful attention throughout the process.But I enjoy it, and will continue to learn to use it as much as I can. I don't know if I will try to sharpen anyone else's saws. For right now, my own saws are enough!
Foley has a website and forum for Foley-Belsaw users, including a forum for machines and parts for sale.I don't have the website handy,but you should be able to find it with a search for "Foley".
If you do get it and decide to part it out, PM me.
Hope this helps.
Rick