PDA

View Full Version : Pen from the USA

Graham Sugar
02-08-2010, 5:31 AM
Hi All
Havent posted in a while been a bit tied up with work (dam that gets in the way of turning):D
This Cocobolo Blank was one of the wonderful surprise pack set to me by my penpalMaria in last years pen swap I have been waiting for a special purpose and have turned it in to a Gold Cigar pen as a present for a family friend
it is finished to 1200# then 4 coats of Rustins Plasticoat left for 24 hours then wet cut with 2000# a further 4 coats and wet cut and pollished with burnishing compound and Plastix polish

I still have a beautiful blank of Honduran Rose wood that I will probably turn in to a Cambridge fountain pen like this one I finished last week in Brown Mallee Burl
Thanks Maria your selection of blanks have given me a lot of pleasure
Love your comments
Graham

Roger Bullock
02-08-2010, 7:01 AM
Nice looking pens, really like that deep finish. Have you turned an Apollo Infinity and if so how would you compare it with the Cigar pen?

Roland Martin
02-08-2010, 7:37 AM
Graham, These are extremely great pens. The painstaking finishing process really does this awesome wood justice. Nice Work!

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2010, 8:32 AM
Beautiful pens Graham - exceptional finish! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
02-08-2010, 9:48 AM
Wonderful wood and finish. Thanks for posting.

Joe Pierce
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
The pens are beautiful, what did you use to finish them?

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Really nice pens Graham. Really nice finish.

Donny Lawson
02-08-2010, 3:37 PM
Love the pens.A very nice deep looking gloss.
Donny

Graham Sugar
02-08-2010, 4:19 PM
Nice looking pens, really like that deep finish. Have you turned an Apollo Infinity and if so how would you compare it with the Cigar pen?
Hi Roger
No I havent tried the Apollo but I will see if I can find one in OZ
Graham

Graham Sugar
02-08-2010, 4:46 PM
The pens are beautiful, what did you use to finish them?

Hi Joe
I use Rustins Plasticoat I sand to 1200 and wipe with pure spirit then put 4 coats of rustins on with about 1/2 hour between coats alow to dry for 24 hours then wet cut with 2000# just until there are no blemishs on the surface, wipe with pure sprit and apply a further 4 coats This is then allowed to dry for 48 hours, lightly wet cut with acrilic finishing pads, Rustins burnishing cream and a final polish with Plastix polish, sounds a lot but I mount up to ten blanks on a 1/4" threaded rod seperated by small tapered spacers that I have turned and finish all at once
The first wet cut is done by mounting the whole rod in the chuck and supporting the other end with a live center I use the turned spacers when I re mount on the mandrell for the finish cut and polish
hope this is of some help
Regards
Graham

Maria Alvarado
02-08-2010, 6:22 PM
Hello Graham,
Nice to see more of your work! I clearly sent those blanks to the right person, you did a marvelous job on those pens. The shine is so deep. I'm still deciding on the right hardware to match with your blanks. I think I've turned only one pen since the swap, so I had better practice a bit before attempting it (have to do justice to that conkerberry!).
Happy Turning