PDA

View Full Version : Tool Storage/Sharpening - Before and After

Bob Borzelleri
02-08-2010, 2:26 AM
Shortly after getting my lathe in November, it became apparent to me that I needed to have some way to organize my tools and have them close by rather than walking back and forth to the workbench where I had them laid out. Sometime later, when I learned the value of keeping tools sharp before the tool or the project shouted at me (thanks to Jimmy Clewes, and yes, I owe a "review" of my 3 day class. The short version is, "Yes, it was worth every penny".), I started thinking I needed to rearrange my access to the grinder and Tormek which were across the shop.

The first picture is the original attempt at organizing the tools and having them nearby. Didn't work out too badly other than me knocking the tools over from time to time and wondering why I had sharp edges constantly between me and the handle. Still was wandering around the shop for sharpening.

The other two shots come courtesy of Frank Grant who is a fellow I know nothing about other than the fact that he wrote an article entitled, "Sharpening Cart" in the February 2010 issue of Woodworker's Journal. In the article, he describes how wanted to address both tool access and sharpening. I guess he was listening to me. So, on Thursday, I went out and bought some wood.

The cart is made from a couple of sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch. His design calls for 1/2" BB for the drawers, but I have a thing about drawers. I put things in them and I rarely ever see them again. I debated building drawers for my workbench and still regret having done so. I'm sure that there are things in the back that I have purchased replacements for more than once. So this time, I went with shelves. After all, all I need to store in this thing are Tormek goodies and stones and I don't need to hide them.

The tool holders have a couple of rare earth magnets. One holds the rack vertical for pushing the thing around the shop and the other on the diagonal so the tools are easily accessible. Grant used aluminum for the top to address liquid spillage. I opted for HDPE. He also built a spiffy jig to rout openings in the PVC tool tubes so he could see what he was grabbing. I looked around for some 1-5/8” clear tubes and finally decided that I would memorize which tool I put where.

Grant says an NFL lineman could sit on this thing. I don’t know any pro football players (although I was in the same squad in basic training with Jimmy Johnson and Jim Vollenweider of the 49’ers), but I can vouch for the fact that the cart is very heavy and bulletproof (so to speak). I put the first of a few coats of oil on it tonight. BTW, when did Baltic Birch start coming with voids in it?

When I finally finish my shop renovation, (DC closet, new piping, compressed air system, and other stuff), the cart will live at right angle to my lathe. Both tools and sharpening will be close at hand. I would have taken a shot of where the cart will eventually be, but things are so stacked up from the work I am doing that I would have had to move too much stuff to get it over there. When I am done with everything, I’ll post the real “after’ photo.

John Keeton
02-08-2010, 8:03 AM
Nice work, Bob! Looks like you will have some nice storage. I debated on how to store my gouges, etc., and decided I needed to see the cutting end to tell which tool was which. I suppose some simple lettering on the PVC pipes would do the same thing here.

Hope it all comes together soon for you, and looking forward to the "finished" pics!

David E Keller
02-08-2010, 9:53 AM
Looks good, but not enough tool space for me. I'd consider adding a scalloped rack on the top of the inner box to give you a place for a few more tools... Maybe a rack along the backside as well.

Am I the only one with a 'tool problem' on this site? Is there a toolaholics anonymous? What if I don't want to get better? Can I skip the meetings then?

Jeff Farris
02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
.... BTW, when did Baltic Birch start coming with voids in it?

Very nice design, Bob. I love the tilt out tool holders.

Re: "Baltic" birch ply. Did you buy that in a 4' x 8' sheet or a 5' x 5' sheet? Lately I've been seeing a lot of thin veneer ply (what we always used to call Baltic Birch) in 4 x 8 sheets coming from China. It isn't horrid, but it has a lot of voids. The 5 x 5 sheets are still coming from Europe, as far as I know.

Allen Neighbors
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
BTW, when did Baltic Birch start coming with voids in it?

I think you've done a bang-up job on it... it does look like a whole squad could sit on it. Very well done!!
They started sending the cull baltic birch here to the USA... the rest of it is kept to make the dynamite boxes from (it's original intended use). At least that's what our lumber experts told me.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Great design Bob. Looks like it will work great.

Bob Borzelleri
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice work, Bob! Looks like you will have some nice storage. I debated on how to store my gouges, etc., and decided I needed to see the cutting end to tell which tool was which. I suppose some simple lettering on the PVC pipes would do the same thing here.

Hope it all comes together soon for you, and looking forward to the "finished" pics!

Thanks John...

I have this image of a surgeon calling for a scalpel and getting the blade slapped in his/her hand. I think I will go with lettering on the PVC or maybe ID the ends or the handles. I have a couple of Hannes handles coming for two new Thompson gouges and they will be easy to ID. Maybe spindles on the left and bowls on the right.

Looks good, but not enough tool space for me. I'd consider adding a scalloped rack on the top of the inner box to give you a place for a few more tools... Maybe a rack along the backside as well.

Am I the only one with a 'tool problem' on this site? Is there a toolaholics anonymous? What if I don't want to get better? Can I skip the meetings then?

Good point, David. My tool tendencies lean toward yours. Although I had a nice long talk the other night with Doug Thompson and he suggested that I really didn't need a ton of turning tools. Interesting comment coming from someone who sells tools. While I tend to think he is right (as in, "if you can't be with the tool you love, love the tool you're with), I am really smitten with that Thompson roughing gouge someone posted the other day before sealing it in a time capsule.

Very nice design, Bob. I love the tilt out tool holders.

Re: "Baltic" birch ply. Did you buy that in a 4' x 8' sheet or a 5' x 5' sheet? Lately I've been seeing a lot of thin veneer ply (what we always used to call Baltic Birch) in 4 x 8 sheets coming from China. It isn't horrid, but it has a lot of voids. The 5 x 5 sheets are still coming from Europe, as far as I know.

Thanks Jeff. The tilt out thing was what got me, too.

I had the option of getting 5x5 or 4x8 and I figured that 5x5 was probably from the old country and 4x8 reminded me too much of Home Depot plywood. I'm thinking that 5x5 doesn't necessarily mean old country anymore.

I think you've done a bang-up job on it... it does look like a whole squad could sit on it. Very well done!!
They started sending the cull baltic birch here to the USA... the rest of it is kept to make the dynamite boxes from (it's original intended use). At least that's what our lumber experts told me.

Thanks Allen. I'm afraid that my experience supports what your lumber guys said. I got this stuff at a place I have not used in the past (they were close by). I think I'll call Aura and Hughes in Sacramento and see what they say about current suppliers.

Great design Bob. Looks like it will work great.

Thanks Bernie. Hopefully, I will get the shop sorted out soon and I will be able to introduce the cart to the lathe.

...Bob

Bob Borzelleri
02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, today I rearranged my wood storage and went from wall racks to standing on end. That gave me space to stick stuff that was stacked in the center of the shop up against walls fairly close to where they will live near the DC drops.

Along the way, I discovered a path from where I built the Sharpening Station/Tool Rack to the lathe so I used it to introduce one to the other. Also made a decision to whack up an old torsion box stand for my grinder that was always a bit too short, and combine it with a stand I made for a small scroll saw. I gave the scroll saw to a friend and have been staring at the empty stand alongside several other things that are going to find new homes.

The result is a pretty sturdy grinder stand that is at pretty much a good level for turning tools. I added a couple of "wings" to support the mounts for the Tormek jigs on the grinder. Also added a few Tormek photo shoot props for Jeff's sake. ;) The grinder will go up against the wall when I find a place for all the stuff that is currently in the way. That should give me a bit more dancing space as I turn things.

As you can see, I have created a shop version of the classic sink, stove and refrigerator triangle. Not sure if I'll keep things that way, but for the moment, it seems to make sense. We'll see.

Behind the camera is the open air version of Fibber McGee's closet.

Joe Adams
02-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Nice setup and love to see a fellow Tormek owner!