PDA

View Full Version : Borescopes

Stephen Saar
02-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Not really sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I was curious if anyone had used any of the cheaper boreoscopes (i.e. sub $400). I've been really interested in getting one since there are so many times I want to be able to look at something in machine, or something that fell behind a wood pile.

I've been looking at the Extech BR250 since it has some extra features over the Rigid and the Milwaukee. I was curious if anyone on the forum has used one of these type of units, and if you were happy with it. I know that most of them can't see more than about a foot away since the lens are so small, so that kind of sucks, but other than that they seem to be pretty decent units.

-Stephen

Paul Ryan
02-08-2010, 9:31 AM
I have used $200 units and $1000 units and haven't been happy with either. I usually seems those that spend the money on the unit, see things that others can't. The resolution is bad, the light they provide is terrible, and in many cases you get a case of the squints. I use them on a regular basis to look inside of engines to determine failures. But usually you end up pulling the head, or oil pan anyhow. If you used them in places that weren't so tight you may get better luck. But when light is needed and it is tight quarters don't expect much.

Dave Lash
02-08-2010, 7:06 PM
I have an older Milwaukee 2310-21 and it has been helpfull in several instances for remodeling and auto repair. It has a smaller 2.4 inch fixed screen, which causes problems when trying to view while moving the camera. The units with a larger removeable display, like the Extech you are looking at, would improve the usefullness a lot. I see adds for an Aardvark wireless inspection camera in an electronics magazine I receive, and it looks just like the Extech but in a different color.

Cameron Reddy
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Stephen,

Great question! I’ve been wondering myself... to see behind walls for studs and such. The only scope I’ve seen is this:

http://www.garrettwade.com/images/250/14N1001.jpg

http://www.garrettwade.com/improved-video-inspection-system/p/14N10.01/