PDA

View Full Version : Xmas in Feb

harry strasil
02-08-2010, 12:48 AM
I was looking for something, and in one of the boxes beneath other boxes, I found 2 Braces I had forgotten I had with Spofford Chucks, a 14 inch and a 7 inch, in beautiful shape. LOL, I guess its true what they say about us old peoples buying and hiding our own Xmas presents LOL Opps forgot the Wimble brace with Spofford Chuck too.

Don C Peterson
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I can imagine that Christmas could come just about every day of the year in your shop Jr... When I was there I felt like a kid in a candy store!

harry strasil
02-08-2010, 3:17 PM
I can imagine that Christmas could come just about every day of the year in your shop Jr...

What Don meant, but wouldn't say, is you have a small space stacked/packed pretty deep!

Lol, so far there is still a path to walk thru! If the cats don't get to rough housing it and tip something over. LOL

george wilson
02-08-2010, 3:19 PM
Harry,on my birthday in a few weeks(69th!) my wife is getting me one of those new nickel plated Lee Valley block planes. I don't really need it,but it looks so nice,I wanted it.

harry strasil
02-08-2010, 3:21 PM
Yeah, been there George, I have to be careful what I say around my wife and around my first wife too, or something will show up mysteriously.

Back before I injured my back and was still a working blacksmith, I didn't have much time to spend in my basement woodshop and when ever I brought a new used toy home from some antique mall, my first wife would cart it to the basement shop and put it somewhere. When I got so I could get down into my Woodshop after my injury, my 4ft by 8ft old workbench was over a foot deep in things she put there, and now I keep finding things in various boxes and shelves where she put some of it.

george wilson
02-08-2010, 6:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out how my PM to you got posted???:)

Jim Koepke
02-09-2010, 4:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out how my PM to you got posted???:)

I wonder if there is a software glitch. A few days ago, I thought my post was in Neanderthal Haven and I couldn't find it. So I did a search on all my posts and found it in Off Topic. The strange thing is Neanderthal Haven was the only forum I had open.

jim

Bryce Eschenbacher
02-09-2010, 8:48 PM
I have recently inherited a small collection of old wood molding planes. They are in pretty good shape, and from quite a few different manufacturers. I have been trying to find some info about them on the web, but haven't had much luck.

Is there any one out there that knows anything about these old tools? I can provide a list of the manufacturers and molding contours.

I also have a plow plane made by H.L. James of Williamsburgh Mass.

And a Norris of London number A5 smoothing plane.

Any info is a great help.

Thanks,

Bryce

harry strasil
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Would one of the Mods please put this post under in its own thread so it will get some traffic to help this gentleman out.

Jr.

Jim Koepke
02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Bryce,

Welcome to the Creek.

I am not sure if one of the moderators will see Harry's note and start a new thread with your post.

It is easy for you to do so. Just hit the button up there on the left and there you go.

Some pictures of your planes would be of a help. Even of the Norris A5. We have all seen one, but our keyboards can always use a little more drool.

jim

harry strasil
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I can imagine that Christmas could come just about every day of the year in your shop Jr... When I was there I felt like a kid in a candy store!

What I would give to have the room you have in your shop + the walk in entrance.

Dave Anderson NH
02-11-2010, 4:30 PM
Sorry Guys,

There is no way that I can figure out to separate Bryce's request for help from this thread and start a new one with it. I do not want to delete or edit it since it's the only set of options I have.

Bryce,

Please start a separate thread and you;ll probably get better answers.

Don C Peterson
02-11-2010, 4:40 PM
What I would give to have the room you have in your shop + the walk in entrance.

LOL, what I would give to have the tools you have in your shop, particularly if you count what's in your blacksmith/machine shop...

James Davis
02-12-2010, 1:30 AM
Harry,

I can tell from the posts in this thread that your shop is too full for you to keep unearthing these tools. Just send that 14" Spofford Brace over here for safe keeping.

When I was growing up we had one of these braces and it was the only way that I had to make holes in anything. My uncle was in the Navy and got ahold of some twist bits with the head to fit in a brace. The next thing I knew I was drilling metal as well as wood. I didn't know it was hard work. I was making holes, that was all that mattered. Well before I knew what was going on the brace and all the other tools that were not bolted down got gone from the farm before I could get my hands on them. I am still trying to gather up what was there, just for my memory's sake. I did get ahold of the vise and anvil that was on the workbench. neither of them are anything to write home about but they were my dads. So I guess they will stick around for a while. I have been able to get my hands on all of the other sizes of Spofford braces but the 14" is still elusive.

Thanks for reminding me of these things,
James

harry strasil
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
One of my 14 inch spofford braces was my grandfathers, one of the few tools I have of his, the thumb screw threads were worn out and evidently my uncle had brazed the splits shut so it could be used in my dad and uncles blacksmith shop, so I rejuvinated it and made a replacement thumb screw with larger threads so it is more or less back to original.

I think I have a 14 in my demo kit, as well as my basement shop kit, and if I do I will let you have the extra one to complete your restoration of your Dad's kit for what I gave for it + postage.

Jr.

James Davis
02-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I sent you a PM about the brace. This is one nice offer Harry.

Thank you,

James

harry strasil
02-22-2010, 6:10 PM
Sorry to dissappoint you but it turns out I don't have a 14 in the demo shop kit, so it will go in it. I will keep my eye out for one tho.