PDA

View Full Version : Which handsaw for large dovetails?

David Myers
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm slowly making progress on my Roubo workbench. Now I need to attach the front and back laminations to the end cap and I've decided that I'm going to do it with half-blind dovetails. boards are 4" wide, the cap is 3" deep.

The only problems I've foreseen are that I have no experience in making dovetails of any kind and I don't have the tools (tailed or neander) to do it.

Other than that, I'm golden.

For the tails some have used a jigsaw, some a bandsaw, but I've decided to use a handsaw and would like to get one that will be useful for future furniture making projects. The size of these tails (I think) precludes a traditional dovetail saw. So which would you choose? A rip-filed carcase? A large tenon saw? Crosscut carcase saw?

Thanks in advance.

Don C Peterson
02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
You might want to consider a bow saw.

David Gendron
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
As for any DT, you are looking at a Rip saw, as for big DT like the one you need to cut, you need a big rip saw. My first choice would be a frame saw a la Tage Frid or Frank Klaus. But you could go with a large tenon saw let say 16 to 18" like a Bad Axe, W&S or LN or Medallion. Even a panel saw would work or Japanese Ryoba saw.
Let see what others will say! But I would do a few practice at DT before the real stuff!

harry strasil
02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Doesn't make a lot of difference as long as the saw is sharp, but then you might just be looking for an excuse to buy a new tool too.

And I think David is referring to a bow saw which is a kind of framed saw.

Chuck Tringo
02-08-2010, 4:34 PM
Half Back saw filed rip (yep I gotta be different ;))