PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 9:14 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone.

All I did was the Dallas BBQ. Great time had by all and I got to meet people from Sawmill Creek, WoodCentral and Woodnet. What a great bunch of folks.

As always, it was great to meet a lot of you in person and being able to put a face with a name now. Now woodworking for me this weekend.....just road travel with Terry Hatfield to / from the Dallas BBQ.....We both had such a good time.

Thanks to Steve Jenkins and everyone, as it takes each and everyone one of you to make a BBQ truly successful.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks......

Kelly C. Hanna
10-25-2004, 9:35 AM
I had hoped to be able to make all three days at the BBQ, but plans were skewed when another online friend came into town from the El Camino emai list. We went out to a great restaurant Friday (Ozona in Dallas, formerly Cardinal Puff's) for the best burgers in the city and a lot of laughs. Cort has visited 15 states this trip and Dallas was the last. Saturday morning I got up at 5 am to make the Queso and wash the dirty El Camino, then it was off to Motorcars Ltd with Cort to see the cars they had. (I chose the Yenko 427 Camaro, but for reason they wouldn't take the $100 bill I had to drive it off the floor:eek: ).

Then it was time to go BBQ'in' at Steve's. What a shop! That Altendorf was a thing of beauty!! I saw my first Legacy Mill at his place and met a ton of ww'ers I'd been yakkin' with on the forums. Great time for sure!

After the BBQ, I headed home for a few minutes, then it was off to a driveway session for the car club and a 'few' brews. I was there til 1am...:eek: :eek: Next up was Sunday's appointments & tool runs. I had two appointments for jobs in the early hours. Thanks to Betsy Yocum, I now have a new 5hp 20 gallon upright compressor for the shop. No more cartin' the twin tank back home very night!! I also picked up a small drill press off another forum member on Woodnet for $20. Together with the early delivery at the BBQ of the Jet DC system, I made out like a bandit over the weekend on tools (pics tonite policemen). :D :D :D

Sunday afternoon I did nothing but rest. I needed it after driving over 250 miles over the weekend with appointments and such!!

Matt Meiser
10-25-2004, 9:50 AM
We had company from out of town so I didn't do much woodworking, but I did get started on a new workbench by picking up the materials and gluing up the top from four layers of 3/4" baltic birch. I'm building the "24 Hour Workbench" from Popular Woodworking's shop projects issue from a few years ago. I've been trying to decide what to do for a long time and finally decided to build a simple, inexpensive bench. I've been using a bench made from an old door on top of a bench my dad and I built when I was 12, but it isn't heavy enough or stable enough. The lumber yard is supposed to deliver my SYP 2x10's today so I can get started on the base.

Lou Morrissette
10-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Not much work in my shop this weekend. Helped my daughter move into her new (old....1824) house in Rockport, Ma. Had a real treat though, investigating the attic to view some real old craftsmanship in the post and beam joinery. Amazing hand work.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2004, 10:16 AM
A little "work" Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon...watched a little football , a little baseball and worked on getting the above ceiling area of my new shop ready for insulation. Sunday finished with installing the insulation barriers in the new shop and used the "new" table saw I bought over a year ago to make some supports for the electrical mast in the new shop. I got a few things done.....but they sure seemed to be time consuming.

Tyler Howell
10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Great 3 day weekend, Trimmed out another door and window, used a number of Neander techniques to get a good fit. Some with more success than others. Carved out some more space to expand the shop. To practice what I preach, I plumbed in three new Ckts for power distribution in the shop (get rid of them extension cords!) One is a dedicated 20 amp 220 for the WW show purchase . Have I been teasing??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Played a little music this weekend, attended the Minneapolis TAT and some quality time with the family too. Went to a wonderful Cabaret of the areas best musicians. Great time.

Real envious of the the folks at the TX BBQ walking around in shorts. We had coats and rain gear most of the weekend.

This was one of those to remember. Checked off a lot on the honey do list and had fun.:cool:

Jim Becker
10-25-2004, 10:42 AM
A "one day" weekend for me due to business travel, but I got some work done on the armoire on Saturday as well as having a nice visit from Jay Knoll that the morning. I'm going to try to make up for that single day in the shop on Friday...

Kurt Aebi
10-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Continuing on with the living room renovation.

Saturday,
Installed (2) Buderus hydronic wall radiators under the windows (Chris & Tyler - Pic's will be following) like the one shown below. They are 12" high x 48" long and 4" thick and are rated at 4800 btu/hr with 180° water. I will also be installing a 24" high x 48" long unit on one of the interior walls.

The PEX tubing is extremely easy to work with. It takes a barb fitting and a copper crimp ring - easy, easy, easy as long as you use a tubing cutter to ensure a straight cut. The crimpers are quite steep in price ($204.00), but are well worth it if you are doing an entire house as I will be doing over the next few years.

Sunday,
Removed the front door that must have been an original door for this Old House (built in 1886). The door casing was very brittle and the wood really split easily.

A couple of years ago, the local ACE Hardware/Home Center had a yard sale and I got a Stanley, Steel Insulated door w/o casing for $50.00 and yesterday, I built a door casing, threshold and installed it. Easier said than done as the original door was a 32" door and the new one is 36". But with the walls open from the living room renovation, the studding was open to me. Of course the stud that I was going to have to move was weight bearing, so a new stud had to be put in place before I used my trusty Sawzall to cut out th estud and make room for the larger door. (Again - Chris & Ty, pic's will follow in another post)

Well averything went well and we no longer have a door that has a draft that you could throw a cat through - everything's nice and tight and once I get the other wall unit installed, the room will be nice and toasty.

Have a Happy, Healthy, Safe Week!

Marshall Harrison
10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Wife had a garage sale Saturday so no woodworking. Had to stand guard on my tools so she didn't sell any of them. :D

Sunday church and watching the Jaguars beat the Colts took up most of my day.

Tonight I have to do the rewiring and install the shop lights. Been trying to get to that for a week now.

John M. Cioffi
10-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Spent ALL day(til after closing) at my neighborhood Rockler store,for the turn-a-thon.
Sunday was church & then kicked back towatch NASCAR@ Martinsville & chilled out with the Wife.

John

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 1:19 PM
I reall need to update my Garage Gut thread but I am making good progress on the electrical wiring now.

I also broke down and bought a distribution panel for all the telecom wiring I'm planning to install. I got a nice 38" long one from Channel Vision and a panel to handle the phone stuff and that is about it for now. I'm sure the future will present itself with oodles of stuff I can cram into this box.

I put a couple of lights on either side of the garage door but it'll be a bit before I wire them up.

I know, I know...still need to take pics....

Betsy Yocum
10-25-2004, 1:23 PM
Mostly woodworking weekend for me - sold a few pieces to a local shop (yeah!!) then headed over to Dallas for the picnic. Thanks again to Steven Jenkins for hosting such a great event!! Had a great time and met some very nice folks - learned a ton from everyone as well.

Cleaned up the shop Saturday night and replaced the motor on my Jet band saw. Whew - that's a job - but managed it and the thing runs - so I musta done ok.

Sunday was busy - started off with Kelly Hanna coming over and getting my compressor that was sitting there unused needing a home. Gave him the 5cent tour - always willing to show off!!! Had a nice visit.

Sunday afternoon a lady came and picked up a few adirnodack chairs I made for her -

Spent Sunday night designing a making some "funky" shelves for a ladies shop (the one I sold stuff to Saturday morning). Will post pics later.

Overall a good weekend.

Betsy

Dick Parr
10-25-2004, 1:28 PM
Mostly started to clean up the house so that it didn't look like a workshop when the wife gets home tomorrow. :eek: After her being gone for a month to help the kids with the twins, I didn't think she would like to come and clean house also. :D

The twins are both home now and doing pretty good. The one with the blood clot in her leg still has to take 2 shots of blood thinner each day for 3 weeks.

I did spend a little time in the shop turning some burl bottle stoppers. I got some Buckeye, Maple and Redwood burl in last week. Also turned a Buckeye Burl Fountain Pen. :D

I forgot to take a picture of the pen opened. :o

Clint deal
10-25-2004, 1:28 PM
I worked on getting my new table saw set-up with a new side board. Did some re-arranging in the shop. Moved the band saw close to the dust sucker and got it hooked back up. Moved an old Sun engine diagnotic machine (remember those?) out under the new old carport I put up last month. Did alot of sweeping and cleaning. it is absolutly amazing how dirty a shop can get. Saw dust everywhere and still is it seems.

Oh and even with the new table saw I still cut on the wrong side of the line while using the SCMS. I thought the new table saw was supposed to make me a better woodworker? lol
Clint

Jackie Outten
10-25-2004, 1:36 PM
Dick,

We are sure are glad that the twins are doing better. I know you will be happy to have your wife back home with you.

I love the look of the pen and bottle stopper. They are absolutely fabulous.

Jackie

Dick Parr
10-25-2004, 1:51 PM
Thanks Jackie. :) I sure am glad she is coming home, it's been a long time. ;)

Last week before Morgan (the last one to come home) came home they said that it appeared that the blood clot was breaking up but she would still have to finish the treatment. I guess now they are having the problem of getting the girls onto some type of schedule. :D I don't wish bad things on our daughter but now is the time to sit back and let her see how it's not so easy :( like she kept saying it was and that she didn't understand all these years what our problem was raising 3 girls. ;) :D :p :rolleyes:

Scott Parks
10-25-2004, 1:52 PM
My weekend starts on Wednesday. Last weekend was spent finishing my maple vanity. This weekend will consist of install vanity, bath light, drywall repair, texture, and install shower door... Then clean garage so LOML can park new truck in there before we get snow. (in theory, but probably won't get half of that done) I can't figure out how I finished the entire basement in 2 months, but I'm already 4 months into the master bath:confused:

JayStPeter
10-25-2004, 6:07 PM
... I can't figure out how I finished the entire basement in 2 months, but I'm already 4 months into the master bath:confused:

Hmmmm, I knew that you double your initial time and money thoughts, but I didn't realize it doubled again for the next project :eek:

Jay :D

Steve Clardy
10-25-2004, 6:32 PM
Saturday bid a couple of jobs, came home to watch for the TEXAS BBC pics to show, them done some firewood stacking for the house and shop both. Winter is a coming.:(
Sunday didn't get out of the house till ten, then did some massive piddling in the shop till about four. Then decided I had better get the 10x7 insulated garage door up on the back of the new addition where the automotive tools and parts are to be stored along with parking one of the vehicles in there.
Got the tracks up, had two panels installed, ready for the third panel with window, then noticed there was a panel there without the extra strap for the garage door opener. Hmmm. Looked down at the second panel which I had just installed, and there was the opener support strip.:mad: So-- removed it and replaced it, got the third one on with glass. Was way past dark, and haven't got all the overhead lights installed, so I quit for the house. TV time.:)

Steve

Brian Austin
10-25-2004, 7:38 PM
Completed a Mountain Flying Course on Saturday morning. Three hours in the Cessna 172 after being out of it for five months was a nice re-introduction. Great flying weather, too.

Signed up and registered for classes at Devry. Finally going back to finish my Bachelor's degree and probably move straight into Masters.

Dog training Saturday afternoon. She's getting headstrong lately.

Filled in my drainage ditch (french drain) with river rock from neighbor's yard. Many, many wheelbarrow trips. Thank goodness it was relatively cool (80 degrees in sunny AZ) with a light breeze.

Put up some more insulation in the shop. Added a temporary awning to the kennel for shade and rain (wet dog last week).

More dog training. Welcomed wife home from three day scrapbooking retreat. Left for our San Diego office 12 hours later! :(

Tom LaRussa
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Well....another weekend has come and gone.

All I did was the Dallas BBQ.I'm jealous of all you folks who live in places where there are actual concentrations of woodworkers to get together with. (Not to mention those of you who live in places with actual suppliers of actual wood at actually reasonable prices.

So what did YOU do this weekend?I had a garage no-sale.

What's a garage no-sale?

That's when you pay good money to put a two-day ad in the paper, bust your buns for a couple days getting ready, (printing up descriptions and price tags, making sure everything is nice and clean -- not to mention running as described), and then sit in the sweltering, humid Florida heat for two -- count 'em TWO DAYS and have a grand total of exactly ONE -- UNO, EIN, UNE, HOLD UP ONE FINGER! -- person so much as stop by to say he wished you were selling old hand tools instead of power tools.

:mad: :mad: :mad: GRRRRRRRRRRR:mad: :mad: :mad:

keith zimmerman
10-26-2004, 10:58 AM
My kids visited this weekend so wood was pushed aside until they left Sunday. After the kids went home, I started working on a new natural edged bowl and got about half finished with it.

On a high note, I was informed that several of my turned pieces had been sold in my Lady's coffeeshop, which is very pleasing. I guess I will have to increase my productivity to keep up with demand.

I also spent some time testing some new photo printing software in my digital darkroom.

keithz

Maurice Ungaro
10-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Alright, first the not-so good things: The blasted Baldwin cylander I was GOING to install on the Baldwin mortice lock (in the nice antique Victorian door) is too @#%% long for the door thickness. Call the supplier, and they don't have the right size in stock, so that project sits and waits again. No problem, i 'll jus replace the junker hinges and get another aspect done (this is going to be the new front door. No go. I need a cut off tool to get the damn last hinge off, as some bone head NAILED it into the door. Trying to pry it off was not having good results with the old wood.

BTW, never made it to Rockler to see Ken's turning demo.

Wasted most of the afternoon trying to be useful around the house, decided to just chunk it and go for a bike ride.

Oh...the good stuff...well..I DID get up to Highland Hardware for the tent sale, and found a couple of bargains, although only one bargain I could use. Some one had a 3 hp dust collector for sale ($175). Already have a 1.5 hp unit, and couldn't justify that one just yet. On the scratch and dent/bargain table for HH, there was a 12.5" Delta planer for $100. Was damaged in shipping, and needed a new cutter head lock. Is ne really necessary? Not really, but I already got the 13" model on close out from Lowes.

BUT, on the same table was a Makita Model 9820-2 sharpener......retuned by soemone unknown. Virtually new fully functioning and for some odd reason, included a second blade holder. Nice, but needed? Hmm..never mind, I picked it up for a whopping $125!!! Pretty cool, more than 50% off, and it was a unit I was eyeballing for my future anyway.
;)

O.K., a minor gloat!
Maurice
<!-- / message -->