PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Portable Planer Opinions

David Fagan
02-07-2010, 8:19 PM
Anyone out there have any opinions on the G0505 or G0689? The G0689 looks decent, but the infeed and outfeed tables seem pretty short. If you have any opinions on any other lunchbox planers I appreciate it too. I know snipe is typically a problem with these, but I'm hoping I can adjust the tables well enough to eliminate much of it. I notice that many people have the DW735, which seems like a nice planer, just doesn't seem very portable to me.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Isaacson
02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I do have a DW735. The G0689 weighs just as much as it. As far as portable are you talking about weight or maneuverability? You can put it on a cart to make it more portable. Maybe one of those flip top carts to just get it out of the way. I think that the Dewalt is by far the superior planer. I love mine. The only reason that I would upgrade is obviously for more capacity and noise. It is a loud machine.

David Fagan
02-08-2010, 8:08 PM
I was thinking of portability as far as weight is concerned. I'd like to be able to stick it in a drawer (I have a couple of very large ones) when not in use and pull it out and use it when I need to.

Leo Vogel
02-09-2010, 12:46 AM
David - unless your a lot bigger than I am, I think you will not like lifting these planers in and out of drawers. I suggest a small stand or table with wheels. If you decide on a DW735, they really make a nice roll stand for that planer.