PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions apprecaited!

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 9:11 AM
well i have been fortunate to get some cherry logs to have cut into lumber. according to (doyle scale) it amounts to around 1500 bf. so here are my questions. the largest log is 24" and the smallest is 14" the longest is 14ft the rest are around 9ft. in the past i have used just 4gtr but some 5gtr got planed down to 3/4 fininshed. should i get any cut to 8gtr or all to 4gtr ot 5gtr.and should i do anything to the logs prior to cutting into lumber they were cut down sat. and will be cut up into lumber the mid of nov. thanks for any help or suggestions from you wize folks. //larry

Jim Becker
10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
It's always nice to have an assortment of sizes as long as you remember that the drying schedule for the thicker material is different. I had my material cut proud of 4/4 and a bit of it at 5/4, 6/4. 8/4 and 10/4. The latter two because I don't like legs that are glued up...personal preference.

As to your logs, you need to get the ends sealed immediately, if not sooner, to reduce checking, etc. Anchorseal is preferable, but if you must, a couple coats of OB paint will help. And it's a lot easier to seal logs than it is to seal individual boards. Don't forget you will need enough stickers to stack the material right off the mill. They need to be dry wood and something that will not react with the cherry. (Oak is not a good choice!)

Martin Shupe
10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Larry,

First let me say how jealous I am of your cherry haul.

I specialize in seeking out and purchasing wide cherry boards, as many as I can afford. Usually, if the boards are over 18" wide, they are cut no thinner than 5/4. The people I have talked to about this say that if you cut a really wide board thinner than 5/4, you run a higher risk of cupping. Also, 5/4 can be planed to one full inch and then the wide stuff can be used for things like table tops.

As far as the rest of it goes, if you see yourself making table legs, then cut some 8/4 for that. If you see yourself making turnings (like a shaker roundstand), you may even want some 12/4 or 16/4.

An experienced sawyer can tell you how to maximize your yield, but it really boils down to what you want to do with the lumber down the road.

When you get done cutting the widest boards, be sure to post some pics so I can be green with envy!

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Larry,

When you get done cutting the widest boards, be sure to post some pics so I can be green with envy!

well martin here is the rest of the story, i had access to a 34 in log that was 18ft long but the sawyer said he couldnt cut it. 30 inch max so it got turned into firewood :eek: would loved to seen that one cut into lumber.

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2004, 1:51 PM
well martin here is the rest of the story, i had access to a 34 in log that was 18ft long but the sawyer said he couldnt cut it. 30 inch max so it got turned into firewood :eek: would loved to seen that one cut into lumber.

Larry,

That 34" log should have been cut into turning blanks and sold to those that wanted them and never cut into firewood. There are those of us that would LOVE to have some turning stock like that. :eek: :D

larry merlau
10-25-2004, 3:16 PM
Larry,

That 34" log should have been cut into turning blanks and sold to those that wanted them and never cut into firewood. There are those of us that would LOVE to have some turning stock like that. :eek: :D

well mr dennis sir :D just what size of blocks you lookin fer? i still have some real good sized peices that is headed for fire wood still. some crocth wood as well. and this aint light weight would be expensive to ship right??? open for ideas dontlike wastin wood either.

Michael Stafford
10-25-2004, 3:29 PM
Larry, as Jim said seal the ends of the wood asap. If it is important to you as far as color matching down the road, I always get a few cans of different colors of spray paint and after sealing the log end I go back and spray them with stripes or different colors so that I can find pieces from the same logs if I need to. That said, it may be impractical for you if you have a large number of logs to segregate. I sorta wish I had that problem...

Steve Clardy
10-25-2004, 5:50 PM
Larry. Nice haul on the Cherry.
Cut most of your 4/4 from the outer sides of the log. This is your best lumber, just past the sapwood. Then go from there. If you need or want some 5/4, 6/4. 8/4, mill that from the heart of the tree. Heartwood is less desirable, so mill it thicker.
If your sawyer knows what He is doing, He will know when to go to thicker lumber.
And as above, seal your logs prior to milling. Saves boucoo time. Sealing each individual board is a pita.

You ever remember that guys name in Sedalia? Curious

Steve:)