PDA

View Full Version : Comments/Critiques - PotPourri HF

Walt Helms
02-07-2010, 6:31 PM
Lacewood
3 coats - JPW finish

Roughly 5.5" x 5.5"

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Robert McGowen
02-07-2010, 6:37 PM
Hi Walt,

I do not know if I like the actual shape for a potpourri bowl, but the segmented work itself is outstanding. Is it all lacewood or is there something different in the middle?

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2010, 6:39 PM
Walt - excellent job on the joinery! Might just be the camera angle but looks like it bulges a little in the middle. Interesting effect with the Lacewood!

John Keeton
02-07-2010, 6:45 PM
Tight glue lines!!

Walt Helms
02-07-2010, 6:55 PM
Hi Walt,

I do not know if I like the actual shape for a potpourri bowl, but the segmented work itself is outstanding. Is it all lacewood or is there something different in the middle?

Robert;

Two "different" pieces of lacewood. Unfortunately, it's hit or miss when ordering lumber online! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback!

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2010, 6:57 PM
Good looking piece Walt.

David E Keller
02-07-2010, 7:27 PM
Nice contrast top and bottom. Great glue lines.

Roland Martin
02-07-2010, 7:46 PM
Very clean joinery on segments Walt, having never turned lacewood, I would assume that extremely sharp tools are a must. Nice work.

David Christopher
02-07-2010, 7:54 PM
Walt, the glue lines are great and the wood choice is also great but I think it would look better if it was a little more shorter and rounded from top to bottom...just my thoughts.... but it still looks good

Walt Helms
02-07-2010, 8:19 PM
All;

Thanks for the valuable feedback!

I really appreciate it!

Walt

Doug W Swanson
02-07-2010, 9:08 PM
Walt,

I think it looks very good. What catches my eye is the fact that even though it is all lacewood the top and bottom have a very different look than the middle part.

I have a small piece of lacewood in my wood bin. I may have to figure out something to use it for now!

JMO,
Doug

Brian Effinger
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice HF Walt. Your segmenting is coming along well. I'm not crazy about the overall form, but that is just personal opinion. The different patterns in the wood is interesting too.

I noticed you live in Rockledge. My cousin and his family live there and own Ashley's up on US1. I haven't been down there in a long time, and should go sometime soon.

Walt Helms
02-08-2010, 7:45 AM
Nice HF Walt. Your segmenting is coming along well. I'm not crazy about the overall form, but that is just personal opinion. The different patterns in the wood is interesting too.

I noticed you live in Rockledge. My cousin and his family live there and own Ashley's up on US1. I haven't been down there in a long time, and should go sometime soon.

Thanks Brian!

My wife and I eat a Ashleys a couple of times a year...mostly when we have relatives/friends down.

The rumor is "The place is haunted"....;)