PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Cleaning

Terry Murphy
02-07-2010, 5:19 PM
My Nova mini chuck is just covered with BLO, Tung oil, dirt, sawdust, and what ever else.
What is a good way of cleaning it?
I was thinking just take it apart and wire brush it.:eek:
Any other ideas?

Terry

Jeff Fagen
02-07-2010, 6:04 PM
Soak in mineral spirits,brush,dry and oil.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2010, 6:11 PM
I agree with Jeff on the mineral spirits but instead of oil I use graphite powder.

Steve Campbell
02-07-2010, 6:21 PM
Terry;
Just remember that the jaws are numbered and have to go back in the exact same place. If you get it wrong you will know right away. Don't ask how I know this..........
Steve

David E Keller
02-07-2010, 7:28 PM
What type of oil? I've been wondering this same thing for a while, but I kept forgetting to post the question. Thanks.

Dave Ogren
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I have been putting the chuck with jaws down into a coffee can and fill to just above the jaws, or about to the scroll plate with either mineral spirits or laquer thinner, depending what I am trying to remove, then put the lid on and let sit overnight.
The next day remove, blow dry and disasemble, blow again, and oil with 30 weight.
I keep an oil can by the lathe and am always oiling the face plates and the spindle end to keep off rust. (Letfover habit from metal working days)
Steve might have a great solution with the graphite, but I don't know how that would affect the water that I am trying to repel.
Good Luck,

Dave

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
The BLO and tung oil prevents rust!:)

Doesn't oil attract dust? I use dry lubes.

Allen Neighbors
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
If you check on the Teknatool Website, you can download a manual for your chuck. It will tell you how to take it apart to clean it.
I'm with Steve on the Graphite. I've used grease and oil, and before long, it's collected enough grime to need cleaning again. The graphite is cleaner, and works a treat!!

Terry Murphy
02-08-2010, 6:16 PM
Well I cleaned her-up.
I used mineral spirits and a 1725rpm wire brush.
When I dried it off, I used graphite.
Works better than new!
Thanks for the advise, now I will check out the manual, better late than never.

Terry