PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting EZ foam

Rikard Strand
02-07-2010, 4:09 PM
We have a LaserPro 30w machine and trying to cut 5mm of EZ foam. The foam get burned. Any tips how to cut foam?

- Rikard

Larry Bratton
02-07-2010, 4:37 PM
Is this a polyurethane foam like you use for making molds? I would say if your getting a burn, you may be cutting it too hot. Your probably just going to have to experiment with it until you get the right combination of power and speed.

Joe Pelonio
02-07-2010, 4:49 PM
I'm not sure which foam this is since EZ is a common name for things, but I have seen it with that name as mounting foamboard, with adhesive on one side or mounting posters, photos etc. If that's what you have, I have been able to cut it without any burn marks but on the cut edges the interior foam
between the two paper faces is concave from the heat. That may or may not be a problem depending on what it will be used for, but there is no way to cut it perfectly. The density of the faces is different from the center so the settings have to be compromised. I think my best results were with two passes at speed 40 power 25 frequency 500 on the 45 watt.

Rikard Strand
02-07-2010, 5:14 PM
"Mounting foamboard, with adhesive on one side" is the right description. EZ Mount Cushion is the name of the foam. I use it to mount rubber stamps on acrylic.

Thank you, i will try out your tips.

Niklas Bjornestal
02-07-2010, 5:36 PM
Try lowering the ppi as low as possible when cutting.

Eric Edgette
02-08-2010, 6:28 PM
I cut some foam and to achieve the best results I use transfer tape (the kind for vinyl decals, laser places may call it something else) and a low PPI (500). I tend to get great results as long as the lens is spotless and it's correctly in focus.