PDA

View Full Version : Group Consensus Please

Jay Jolliffe
02-07-2010, 3:27 PM
I have to make four corners 2 1/2" square for a platform bed that will be veneered with Macasser ebony. I've thought of three ways to make them. First is to make them out of dimensional wood. Second is to laminate together birch plywood. Third is to laminate together mdf. The four corners will be cut at a 45. In the corners I'm planing on gluing 3/8" square strips into the corners so when I do the 45 it will show Macasser ebony. So what do you think. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Richard Dragin
02-07-2010, 3:51 PM
Laminating over solid wood is problematic.

Nicholas Lingg
02-07-2010, 4:12 PM
I've used 2 method's laminated solid wood 3 to 4 lam's and plywood both are holding up good

Jay Jolliffe
02-07-2010, 9:52 PM
So much for the group.....Thanks for the help for the 2 that did.....

Glen Butler
02-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Maybe the problem is that you asked while everyone was getting ready for the superbowl. Or maybe its because what you are asking is very confusing and you either need more detail or pictures to get your question across appropriately.

I would love to give you my consensus if I knew what you were asking. This is what I was about to say until I realized I didn't understand the question:

You should laminate the veneer to the substrate first then miter the the 2 1/2" squares together.

Jay Jolliffe
02-08-2010, 9:22 AM
To me it's pretty well explained but I'm the one asking the question. What I'd like to know is what would be the best way to make up a 2 1/2" square 10" long that I'm going to veneer. Use solid wood, glue together pieces of ply or glue pieces of mdf to make up the 2 1/2" square then apply veneer to the square. Sorry about the confusion.

Mitchell Andrus
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
You should laminate the veneer to the substrate first then miter the the 2 1/2" squares together.

Correct answer.

I will add that you want to use a hard wood as a substrate, like hard maple. Joints on beds in general take a beating because of the leverage and relatively small joint area esp. if it's to be a knock-down design. At only 10" though, the concerns of yanking on the foot/headboard aren't present.

How we do it in Stickley-land:

Jay Jolliffe
02-08-2010, 1:18 PM
Thank you for your response....