PDA

View Full Version : Finally Back Online

Don Abele
02-07-2010, 2:52 PM
Wow, it has been a while - almost two months since I was able to log on last.

Me and 500+ of my Sailors deployed at the end of the year to return back to the middle east yet again (we just left here last March). We will be providing security for deployed forces from Iraq all the way down the Arabian Gulf to the United Arab Emirates (where our sister squadron picks up the duties). Whether it's convoy duty, base force protection, or water borne protection, we do it all.

We just finished a major mission of providing the security for the nearly 600 Marines of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (based in Camp Pendleton, CA) to return to their Amphibious Readiness Group (ships) so they can head back home. These boys don't travel light so it was an extensive movement to get all of them and all their equipment (including their impressive 1-5-5's!) onto the LCAC's (hovercrafts) and out to the ships.

Here's the LCAC heading to the ramp for another load:

Here's the amphib they are heading for:

One of our patrol boats providing security:

Me pretending to actually be doing something:

It was a busy event but very fulfilling knowing that these Marines are now safely on their way home. Semper Fi Devil Dogs and God speed.

Be well,
Doc

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2010, 3:02 PM
Don - glad to see you posting! Was wondering when we would hear from you! Be safe and Thanks to you and everyone out there with you for your service!

Great photos!

Bruce Page
02-07-2010, 3:11 PM
Good to see you Don!

Great pictures!

Stay safe!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2010, 3:13 PM
Doc,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you!

Stay safe my friend!

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2010, 5:43 PM
Excellent report Doc. I had wondered where you went...figured duty called. Thanks again for all you and your fellow soldiers do for us. Please know, and let them know, that we care! Jim.

Jim Becker
02-07-2010, 6:18 PM
Good to hear from you, Doc!!! Those are great photos, too...especially that last one with the nice grin. :D

Jerry Bruette
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Good to hear from you Don!!

Been waiting for some word from you so I could request that you send your snail mail address to me in a PM. I have a newspaper article about you last duty station you might be interested in.

Be safe

Jerry

Dave Anderson NH
02-08-2010, 1:44 PM
Glad to see you able to post Don. The picture with my old friend and occasional companion Ma Deuce brings back memories. Keep yourself safe. Remember that fear can be your friend.

Augusto Orosco
02-08-2010, 1:47 PM
Great to see you back, Doc.

Stay safe!