PDA

View Full Version : Festool RS2E 1/2 sheet sander vs. ROS

John Edwards
10-25-2004, 4:17 AM
With all the interest in the Rotex, 150`s and the 125 is there a
place in the shop for one of these 1/2 sheet sanders ?

Like with the Deltex I did read the review of the RS2E on the
Benchmark site. My impression of the review was that after the
reviewer had used the 150 this RS2E was not as favored quite as much.
And could be repalced by the 150. Also have had a little bit of
conversation with Bob M. about the RS2E also.

But I`d like to hear more comments about this sander in general from
the group.

Thanks
John Edwards

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 4:50 PM
John,

Dunno but there are places that a 90° corner can reach that a ROS cannot. I had often wondered if I should spring for the sheet sander but I haven hit a need for it yet. I still have a 1/4-sheet Makita in the box brand-spanking new that I haven't touched for a couple of years so.... :)

Steve Clardy
10-25-2004, 5:13 PM
I've got to agree with Chris here, even though He's my twin and We've had some squabbles lately:eek:, that's about the only time I use my two PC 330 1/4 sheet sanders anymore, is in a corner, or on some crown molding, or loan one out.
I ran 1/4 sheet sanders for years, then converted to ROS.
Never say never, but I don't think I'll go back to 1/4 or 1/2 sheet sanders. Too many swirls.
Steve:):)

Christian Aufreiter
10-25-2004, 5:27 PM
Hi John,

I don't own the RS 2, only have the ES 150/3 and I also used an old AEG 1/2 sheet sander attachment for an AEG hammer drill. It wouldn't be valid to compare those tools but basically I think that the major advantages of those sheet sanders are - as already mentioned - the possibility to sand corners and that those sanders are better if flatness is of much concern. Flatness is rather hard to achieve with a ROS IMO. I sanded a piece of ply for an extended period of time (much longer than requested for finishing, was just a test) and noticed that I usually tended to take off more material on the edges than in the middle of the board..
So if you are going to sand many doors you might want to contemplate the RS.

Regards,

Christian

Greg Mann
10-25-2004, 5:38 PM
With all the interest in the Rotex, 150`s and the 125 is there a
place in the shop for one of these 1/2 sheet sanders ?

Like with the Deltex I did read the review of the RS2E on the
Benchmark site. My impression of the review was that after the
reviewer had used the 150 this RS2E was not as favored quite as much.
And could be repalced by the 150. Also have had a little bit of
conversation with Bob M. about the RS2E also.

But I`d like to hear more comments about this sander in general from
the group.

Thanks
John Edwards

John,

I don't know either, but this is the way I decided to approach this issue. I just placed an order for the Festool Duplex linear sander which, when used with a flat sanding pad, could reach into corners as well as still being able to do the other things it was designed for with the appropriate pads. I would not have the orbital action but I'm hoping to get away with something here.;) If I miss my guess, I still have the tool for its intended purposes and expect to get quite a bit out of it there as well. I will let you know if it works.

Greg

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 8:10 PM
I've got to agree with Chris here, even though He's my twin and We've had some squabbles lately:eek:, that's about the only time I use my two PC 330 1/4 sheet sanders anymore, is in a corner, or on some crown molding, or loan one out.
I ran 1/4 sheet sanders for years, then converted to ROS.
Never say never, but I don't think I'll go back to 1/4 or 1/2 sheet sanders. Too many swirls.
Steve:):)

LOL...nice signature!! :rolleyes:

Gary Max
10-25-2004, 8:48 PM
Lets try this--
I have been for years a real big fan of Dnyabrades---5 inch air sanders.
Now comes this Festool thing---ok I will try it---bought a 150-3
6 inch electric---big trick--keeps itself clean----lots of grits of paper--Super pad--runs real smooth. I now use it for all my final sanding.

Finish sanding is the most inportant part of making a peice of wood look right.
Just my little thoughts

Greg Mann
10-25-2004, 9:20 PM
Lets try this--
6 inch electric---big trick--keeps itself clean----lots of grits of paper--Super pad--runs real smooth. I now use it for all my final sanding.

Just my little thoughts
Hmmm, it seems like Gary isn't concerned about the corners either. BTW, Gary, we use dynabrade narrow belt sanders (Dynafiles) where I work. must have 50 of them. It would be easier to cut my guy's pay than take them Dynafiles away.

Greg

Christian Aufreiter
10-26-2004, 7:12 AM
Lets try this--

Just my little thoughts

If you're still interested in air tools I think Festool offers them also in the USA now.

Regards,

Christian

Gary Max
10-26-2004, 9:14 AM
Greg---I still use my Dynadrade everyday of the week.
But I tell you the truth for a finial finish the Festool does a better job.
You will have to see the pad on this thing-----it is perfect.
The way it removes dust adds so much to the quailty of the finish.
Plus the fact that it 6 inches instead of 5 helps.
Greg when I first bought my Festool 150-3 it sat in the dining room for weeks.
We where trying to get a coffee table done for our last show and could not get a flat surface. Everytime there would be a spot or line or round spot somewhere.
I was almost at the point of not bringing the table because we where running out of time. As one last try I went and got the Festool to see if I could get it right.
Running 240 and 320 grit disks it only took me 30 minutes to get it perfect. This is a $500.00 table---it has to be perfect to bring that kind of money.
I ain't like the rest---really do not care about that fancy case---gee the colors are so cool means nothing to me.
I have to have as perfect of a sanding job as possible and it really makes no difference what it takes to get it done. I can remember sanding with blocks of wood bye hand to get a flat finish---glad that's over.
So I guess that I am now a Festool fan and a member of Uncle Bob's fan club---still want a Tee shirt. size XXL

Greg Mann
10-26-2004, 4:35 PM
Greg---I still use my Dynadrade everyday of the week.
But I tell you the truth for a finial finish the Festool does a better job.
You will have to see the pad on this thing-----it is perfect.
The way it removes dust adds so much to the quailty of the finish.
Plus the fact that it 6 inches instead of 5 helps.
Greg when I first bought my Festool 150-3 it sat in the dining room for weeks.
We where trying to get a coffee table done for our last show and could not get a flat surface. Everytime there would be a spot or line or round spot somewhere.
I was almost at the point of not bringing the table because we where running out of time. As one last try I went and got the Festool to see if I could get it right.
Running 240 and 320 grit disks it only took me 30 minutes to get it perfect. This is a $500.00 table---it has to be perfect to bring that kind of money.
I ain't like the rest---really do not care about that fancy case---gee the colors are so cool means nothing to me.
I have to have as perfect of a sanding job as possible and it really makes no difference what it takes to get it done. I can remember sanding with blocks of wood bye hand to get a flat finish---glad that's over.
So I guess that I am now a Festool fan and a member of Uncle Bob's fan club---still want a Tee shirt. size XXL
Understand, Gary. The Dynabrade tools we use are totally different animals. We agree they make nice stuff but different stuff, basically, than Festool. I can tell you that if Festool made a comparable air tool to the Dynabrade tools we use I would be trying them out as well. Maybe Christian can get me some info on what Festool air tools are readily available in Europe and I could see if they make what I need. Oh, forgot. They're 240 volts over there.:D :D ;)

I have the Rotex so I know what you are saying about the quality of Festool's sanders, and as good as it is, it is still an angle design so I would expect to see an improvement with the 150/3 as a pure sander. Also, I think it's neat that the sanding you did could have been done right there in the living room where you were already storing the sander.:)

Gary, do you want to comment on the inability of a round ROS to get into corners? I think that was one of John's original concerns. Is that a limitation for you?

Greg

Christian Aufreiter
10-26-2004, 4:49 PM
Understand, Gary. The Dynabrade tools we use are totally different animals. We agree they make nice stuff but different stuff, basically, than Festool. I can tell you that if Festool made a comparable air tool to the Dynabrade tools we use I would be trying them out as well. Maybe Christian can get me some info on what Festool air tools are readily available in Europe and I could see if they make what I need. Oh, forgot. They're 240 volts over there.:D :D ;)

Hi Greg,

Festool offers a couple of orbital and RO sanders (air tools) in Germany.
If you check out Bob Marino's website you'll find out that some of them are already available in the US. This part of Bob's site is still in progress but Bob can certainly provide some specifics.

Those are the different models available here:

*Compressed air ROS LEX 2 185
Sanding pad diameter 185 mm
*Compressed air ROS LEX 2 150/7
Sanding pad diameter 150 mm and stroke 7 mm
*Compressed air ROS LEX 2 150/3
Sanding pad diameter 150 mm and stroke 3 mm
*Compressed air ROS LEX 2 125/7
Sanding pad diameter 125 mm and stroke 7 mm
*Compressed air ROS LEX 2 125/3
Sanding pad diameter 125 mm and stroke 3 mm
*Compressed air orbital sander LRS 93 M
*Compressed air orbital sander LRS 93 G
*Compressed air orbital sander LRB-IAS2
*Compressed air orbital sander LRS 400

Regards,

Christian

John Edwards
10-26-2004, 5:23 PM
Thanks for all the information thus far.

Honestly though. I still do not understand the scope of these questions.
Thinking the the group is leaning towards the ROS as being able to sand to a better finish. With the understanding that corners, if boxed, are not a forte of the ROS. That is a given.

Having said that. If one was to have a flat unobstructed panel. Would the RS2E give a flatter, better surface to work off then the ROS ? Given that it has a larger work surface and is not as aggerasive (sp) ?