PDA

View Full Version : Document failed to print problem

Liesl Dexheimer
02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
We have an Epilog 35 Watt Mini engraver. Every once and a while I get an error message saying "this document failed to print." A couple of times this has happened without me noticing & I hit "go" & then accidentally ruin the piece I was going to engrave because I ran the prev job, very frustrating.

We have APC UPS backup batteries that beep once and awhile, all I can figure is that it beeps when there is a large draw on electricity (although it's pretty rare that we actually see lights dim). Sometimes it beeps when we aren't really running too much even in our house (we work out of our basement). We have our own dedicated electrical pole out on the street.

Do you think this draw on electricity could be causing the document failed to print message? Any other ideas?

Joe Pelonio
02-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I have gotten that message many times when I send large files, like a whole sheet of name badges with 3 lines of text and a logo on each.
If I wait then look at the little screen the job is all there, so I run it and it's fine. I have also had cases where only part of the job is on the screen, thern when I look at it again more is there and so on until it all shows up.
If I run the job early it goes fine, but in a couple of cases will pause until the rest catches up. Are you using the network cable? (I am)

I also use the APC power backup.

John Noell
02-07-2010, 1:12 PM
Only the very expensive lines of UPSs actually regulate voltage. Typical APC UPSs cut in when the voltage drops too low but only cut out high voltages when they are VERY high (e.g., 300V). IF you are getting transient beeps, either the UPS is faulty (unlikely) or you really are getting fluctuating power. I use an APC line conditioner to keep the voltage to my laser stable.

Michael Hunter
02-07-2010, 3:01 PM
My "older" Epilog (2004 vintage) will not accept multiple pages from Corel Draw.
If I fail to tick "current page" or "selected" when sending a file to the laser, I usually get the Failed to Print message.

I'm not sure when/which machine they changed the drivers to take multiple pages.

Larry Bratton
02-07-2010, 3:30 PM
I run into this problem also from time to time, but I connect with the USB cable. I understand that the ethernet connection might be more reliable. I do, however, check to see if the file sitting on the machine is the one I sent. We also check the file with the red line pointer and with the lid open if it is a critical placement or other reason.

Liesl Dexheimer
02-07-2010, 4:27 PM
Ours is connected by USB and not ethernet. Luckily, I occassionally ruin inexpensive things I was going to engrave. Whenever I engrave those high pressure jobs, I always engrave with the lid open & the pointer on like previously mentioned. I generally try to pay attention to the printer icon in case it does read out the message, or I check the job name on the laser but once & awhile I have those oops moments.

I'm wondering if I should update the driver, haven't done that in FOREVER. I must admit I'm afraid to do so because I read something about having to reload the settings which would be a pain in the arse. I'm kinda taking the attitude of if it ain't broke don't fix it....

Joe Pelonio
02-07-2010, 4:52 PM
I possible for you to switch, you might find that the ethernet cable will solve the problem. A lot of people have found it to be far more reliable than USB.

Larry Bratton
02-07-2010, 5:31 PM
Ours is connected by USB and not ethernet. Luckily, I occassionally ruin inexpensive things I was going to engrave. Whenever I engrave those high pressure jobs, I always engrave with the lid open & the pointer on like previously mentioned. I generally try to pay attention to the printer icon in case it does read out the message, or I check the job name on the laser but once & awhile I have those oops moments.

I'm wondering if I should update the driver, haven't done that in FOREVER. I must admit I'm afraid to do so because I read something about having to reload the settings which would be a pain in the arse. I'm kinda taking the attitude of if it ain't broke don't fix it....
You really should upgrade the driver. To get your settings back in, just d/l the Configmerge application from Epilog and follow the instructions.

Mark Ross
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
We have a 36EXT and get this from time to time. Rebooting the computer does not solve it. We have to reboot our laser to get it to accept files. We have the latest drivers, not sure what is going on, probably a marginal quality USB cable.

Peck Sidara
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
A few comments/suggestions:

If you're connected via USB, we recommend running the latest firmware & driver as we have enhanced the reliability of USB in recent firmware/driver revisions. Yes, typically updating your firmware/driver will require you to update your configuration files. However this is not difficult at all and all steps are documented either directly from our website, owners manual or thru technical support. If possible, connect via Ethernet as it tends to be fail proof.

I do not beleive this to be a power fluctuation issue.

All of our current models have a data light on the display to help determine when data/job is being spooled. This in conjunction with the job name/# changing on the LED display is a good indicator of when a new job has been sent over.

If USB is the only option, you might also try a new cable in addition to the firmware/driver update.

HTH,

Liesl Dexheimer
02-08-2010, 4:29 PM
Thank you for the response Peck and to everyone else as well. I haven't updated the driver because I was concerned about having to reload all the data files (I have jobs set up in different folders & was concerned about having to go through each file folder one by one).

I guess I should just get up the guts & update the driver/firmware. I hadn't thought about the USB cable but may try a new one to see what happens (ethernet is pretty much out of the question at this point).

I do try to pay attention to the LCD display but occasionally I get impulsive which can get me into trouble...