PDA

View Full Version : Broken Grizzly Bandsaw Part

Charles Cannon
02-07-2010, 9:57 AM
This morning I was trying to adjust the tracking on my Grizzly G1012 18 inch bandsaw when the arm in the upper wheel housing broke. I can't get the part out of the housing. I have tried to press the pin (pins ?)through the arm to remove the broken arm but it does not seem to move any with the pressure I feel comfortable applying to a pot metal part. I thought about trying to make a new part from steel sense this part holds all the tension applied to tighten the blade. This is an older type saw.
Cannon

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Cannon,
In Mark Duginske's latest bandsaw book, he points out that this part is a common failure in a lot of bandsaws.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Cannon, I downloaded the parts list from Grizzly's site. It's 2 pins.

Charles Cannon
02-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Ken
I just found a better parts list at Grizzly website. Looks like the arm is held by 2 pins driven in the arm through the housing. Going to be hard to drive them out.
Cannon

Sean lennon
02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
You could drill and tap the pins to pull them out using screws.
use washers as spacers as the pin pulls out.

I used to deal with the same type situation on older robots all the time where casings were pinned together. even if the pins are hard, often they are only case hardened and drill just fine from the end.

on your piece...hard to tell

Sean

Charles Cannon
02-07-2010, 4:50 PM
Thanks Sean
Using your suggestion I drilled 7/64 holes in the pin at the drill press and got two sheetmetal screws to grab into the holes. I was able to pull the pins out with a claw hammer. I put the shaft into a piece of one inch pipe and drove it out of the arm. I don't know if I will make a new arm or order one. I'm afraid an ordered on won't be any stronger than this one.
Cannon

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2010, 4:58 PM
Cannon....check around. There are some aftermarket replacements that supposed to be better quality.

Try Carter for instance.

Charles Cannon
02-08-2010, 1:33 PM
I just ordered a new arm/shaft assembly from Grizzly for $12. I don't know if it will be any better than the other one but I'm not going to make one for $12. Thanks for the input.
Cannon

Mike Gregory
02-09-2010, 8:14 PM
I just ordered a new arm/shaft assembly from Grizzly for $12. I don't know if it will be any better than the other one but I'm not going to make one for $12. Thanks for the input.
Cannon

I love that old quote "never time to do it right ... always time to do it twice".

Mike

Alan Bienlein
02-09-2010, 8:41 PM
I love that old quote "never time to do it right ... always time to do it twice".

Mike

I worked for a company that had that mentality. Never enough money or time bid into the job but almost always had to redo the work because of taking the cheapest bids. No wonder they are losing money.

Joshua Layne
02-10-2010, 1:23 AM
I had a similar issue with my PM 14" BS http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130813 (broke in a different casting, but same assembly)

Grizzly may replace it on warranty (easiest to get all the pieces including the two pins) but if not, the parts should be very cheap. I would also be very curious to hear about the aftermarket options, as it is the biggest current complaint I have on my bandsaw (which supposedly comes with the carter tensioning mechanism, but I don't know if this is technically part of that)

Hope this helps,
Josh

Shiraz Balolia
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I had a similar issue with my PM 14" BS http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130813 (broke in a different casting, but same assembly)

Grizzly may replace it on warranty...
Josh

The G1012 bandsaw was discontinued several years ago. While we still carry parts for it, there is no warranty involved.

Charles Cannon
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
The G1012 bandsaw was discontinued several years ago. While we still carry parts for it, there is no warranty involved.

I would not expect any warranty. The saw is several years old and I bought it used. I do appreciate that Grizzly stocks the parts for a reasonable price. I ordered the Monday and they a scheduled to arrive today.
Cannon

Charles Cannon
02-10-2010, 5:34 PM
I got the saw put together this afternoon after the UPS guy delivered the part. FWIW the replacement part is much more substantial the the original, looks like cast iron. Something else may break but this shouldn't. Thanks all.
Cannon