PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest

Eddie Simmons
02-07-2010, 8:29 AM
Need help with choosing a good inside, outside bowl tool rest. I just brought the Sorby inside, outside and it lasted two days before it broke at the point of the threads. My banjo requires a 3/4 stem. I know that Sorby may replace it, but need to resolve the issue of them breaking. Would like to buy a dedicate and one piece unit for inside and outside turning.
Thanks
Eddie

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2010, 9:05 AM
Eddie,

I wonder what the issue is?

I have had a Sorby modular set for over 3 years. I have used it on my Jet Mini VS and now on my PM3520B. I have had no issues. How can you break one?

I have the inside, outside and straight bars.

When I upgraded, I just upgrade to a larger center post.

John King
02-07-2010, 3:28 PM
Checkout Best Wood Tools at http://www.bestwoodtools.com/. They have a number of modular tool rests - straight, curved, etc. - that are very robust. - John

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2010, 4:31 PM
I went to my local welder and showed him a picture of what I wanted. He built me the inside/outside rests out of round bar 3/4" for $25 for both. They are welded solid and I have had a catch or two. They have held up well.

Don Geiger
02-07-2010, 4:38 PM
I have three different sizes of Robust Comfort Tool Rests (www.turnrobust.com (http://www.turnrobust.com)). They are straight instead of curved, but I have found, after 11 years of turning natural edge bowls, that I do better on the inside of my bowls with a straight, rather than curved rest. Also, the Robust tool rests are designed so that the the top most supporting edge is forward of the tool post which puts the fulcrum point closer to your work. They also have a curved surface to place the meat of your hand (ie.: "Comfort Rest") and a hardened rod welded along the top edge so your tool slides smoothly and the edge of the rest is not be easily knicked.

Also, if you compare the Robust tool rest to ones made of round rod (I have some in 1" diamter) the fulcrum point, whether your tool is level or especially with the handle lowered, is always going to be further from your work when using the type made from a round rod.

David Ellsworth and other great turners had input on the design of the Robust tool rests.

My pick: Robust!

Below are three photos of the Robust Comfort Rest.

Don Geiger

Wally Dickerman
02-07-2010, 5:58 PM
I agree with Don that you might not need a curved tool rest. I've been turning for a lot of years and have had several curved rests and found that I never use them.

I also agree that the Robust tool rest is the best...I have 2 myself and plan on getting another. The shape of the Robust rest is designed not only to be a secure spot for your hand, but it can be positioned up close to the wood while hollowing a bowl.

You say that your tool rest post is 3/4 inch....I'm don't whether or not Robust makes one in that size or not but you could check out their website.

Wally

Joe Adams
02-08-2010, 1:06 AM
What Robust rests would you recommend for turning bowls on a Jet 1236?

Thanks!

Wally Dickerman
02-08-2010, 1:49 AM
What Robust rests would you recommend for turning bowls on a Jet 1236?

Thanks!

I have a 9 inch Robust and I believe that I use that one more than any of my other tool rests.

Wally

Reed Gray
02-08-2010, 1:56 PM
On smaller bowls, a straight tool rest can be efficiently used, but on bigger bowls, a curved one is a big advantage. You don't have to move it as often. You can make one pass all the way down the outside or inside of a bowl. You can keep the tool closer to the wood. For straight tool rests, the Robust one is the best, no contest.

I do wish Brent would make a Comfort bowl rest. The drill rod can be heated, bent, and then annealed. He thinks they would be too expensive at $100 or so. I would be quite willing to pay that for one. Any one else?

robo hippy

Mike Minto
02-08-2010, 2:14 PM
I have a complete Sorby modular for both my Jet lathes - did you have the crossbar completely screwed onto the post? can't imagine one breaking!