PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 12V problems

Rick Potter
02-07-2010, 1:31 AM
I bought a Ridgid 12V drill (the two speed compact one) about seven months ago, used it a couple weeks and one battery wouldn't take a charge. Since it was so new, I simply returned the whole set, and got another one. The new one worked fine for a couple months, then one battery wouldn't charge, I wasn't using it too much then, so I put off doing anything about it.

After a couple months of little use, I started using it again, with only the good battery. Yesterday that one refused to charge. Thinking I might have a bad charger, I tried a friends charger, and they both still refused to charge.

It turns out he was about to return one of his sets (he had two), for the same reason....it wouldn't charge the batteries.

Anybody else having this problem, or are we just the lucky ones?

We both registered for the free replacement warranties, but if that is as long as they last, who needs the hassle?

Rick Potter

Bruce Wrenn
02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I have bought a total of five. First I bought the drill, with two batteries and a charger. I liked it so well, that I bought the set that has two drills, two batteries, and one charger. Then I bought my son the single drill and two battery set. Later I bought another of the same. Less than a year after purchase of the first one, Ridgid replaced it because of battery failure. I have another set of batteries that have died, so I will have to get them replaced also. A friend told me last year that his HD had a battery checker right in the store, and could check and replace batteries right there. But I haven't seen such. Wish mine did. Be aware that the batteries are very suceptable to cold. I bring mine in from the truck at night. Other than batteries, I really like mine.

eugene thomas
02-09-2010, 12:58 AM
i have went through both the 1.5a battries that came with my 18 volt lith ion drill with where replaced but i bought the skill saw thats dual power and had to get the bigger 18volt 3a battrie to run it because the smaller battries didnt't have enough power.. it is already not charging wright but since bought it by itself its not under life time warrenty. so mcuh for lifetime replacement on all ridged tools. would of been better off just buying new barrries every two or three years for my old dewalt drill and accessorys.

Rick Potter
02-09-2010, 4:25 AM
I did register them, so I will call the phone number tomorrow. Tried today, but Eastern time got me again. I will also stop by the store and see what they have to say.

The reason I got this unit was so I could leave it in a small tool bag I carry with me whenever I check out my rental. They always come up with something to do. I chose the Ridgid because at the time it was the only one I found that had a regular chuck. Others I looked at only had the quick click chuck, and their speed wasn't good enough to drill with. Now, everybody has both.

To be continued.

Rick Potter

lowell holmes
02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
My son had the same problem. He took the drill back to HD and they refunded his money.
I have one that has not failed yet, but I think it has a problem. I will probably take it back.

glenn bradley
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Are we talking about the small lithium 12v drills? Model R92007 or R92008 or something like that? I bought the 2 drill kit over a year ago. I use them almost daily. Still going strong.

Rick Potter
02-10-2010, 1:03 AM
Went to HD today to ask if they do the warranty work there, told them my story about the batteries, and showed them the receipt from
April 09 (that one was replaced in May or June 09). They said to just go get a new one off the shelf.

Maybe the third times the charm.

I charged both batteries and they took the charge. Right there that's better than the one from April. One brand new battery wouldn't charge.

Rick Potter

PS: Yes Glen, that is the one...the two speed kit.