PDA

View Full Version : Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPR)

John King
02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
My next objective in the dust management arena is to work on improved personal protection using a powered air purifying respirator (PAPR) such as the 3M Airstream, Trend Airshield and similar. But I am concerned about the comfort of the PAPRs in Houston’s hot, humid climate. So, some questions for the assembled readers.

Do you use a PAPR when turning and/or sanding?

What brand, model, etc. PAPR do you use?

What do you like about it?

What do you dislike about it?

Are you able to comfortably wear a PAPR for extended periods of turning (say a couple of hours or so) during hot, humid summer days?

Do you experience fogging of the PAPR face shield when using it on hot, humid days?

Do you experience sweating inside the PAPR when using it on hot, humid days?

Any thoughts/suggestions you have about selection of a PAPR would be much appreciated. - John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 11:18 PM
John,

Here I have about 4-6 weeks form mid-July to late-August where temperatures can exceed 100º F.....even exceed 110ºF. I have one of the old Tred Airshields... It moves enough air that I don't sweat inside the mask and it keeps my glasses fog free. My only complaint is the batterie...I have a 2nd optional don't hold charges well. I'm going to make replacements myself and modify my helmet so I can charge them without removing them from the helmet.

I have worn it for 4-6 hours a day.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
John - I have used the Trend Airshield for about 3 or 4 years now but just upgraded to the 3M Airstream last week.

The Trend was comfortable to wear but the filters are not rated for super fine particles. Most of the time while turning - I could smell the wood - whether turning or sanding. I figured if I could smell it - that meant I was breathing it. Made me start thinking about upgrading - that was a couple of years ago. The big reason I put it off for so long was sticker shock. Once I realized the importance, I upgraded.

The top of the Trend is open - which means no protection from a flying chunk of wood or shavings. I used clear plastic protectors on the face shield and that helped protect it from debris when roughing out green wood. Batteries last close to 4 hours and I built a couple of packs that would hold rechargeable AA digital camera batteries. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying Trend replacement battery packs!

I wear reading glasses (right off the shelf) while turning and comfort was never a problem.

We may get one or two days a year when the temps get up to 90* - so can't help you with that but have to imagine having air blow across your face would feel a heck of a lot better than if you were just wearing a face shield!

I used the Trend a lot - but upgraded to the 3M Airstream because I wanted better protection for my lungs and protection for my head and face as well. I have used the Airstream quite a bit since getting it and find it is even more comfortable to wear and I do not smell wood or acrylic like I did before!

The battery on the Airstream clips on your belt - so that removes some weight from the helmet but I do think it is slightly heavier than the Trend. Still, maybe because I am used to wearing a breather - I don' notice anything once I am working.

Oh, your other question..... as long as I am in the shop - I wear breathing protection. Turning, flatwork, sanding - doesn't matter - you wear it.

Hope that answer some of your questions.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I have the Trend also and don't like the idea of smelling the wood thru it either. I am upgrading to the 3M Airstream this next week.

John King
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Ken - I have the subject document in pdf. If you will send me a Private Message with your e-mail address, I will send it to you. - John

Ken Glass
02-07-2010, 1:04 AM
John,
I have the trend Pro. I have worn it for as much as 6 hours and it is very comfortable and has a positive pressure which keeps me form sweating at all.

Terry Gerros
02-07-2010, 1:56 AM
John, Here are my responses

Do you use a PAPR when turning and/or sanding?

Yes, most of the time.

What brand, model, etc. PAPR do you use?

I have two systems, sadly both have been purchased in the last 6 months. 1) Trend Airshield Pro 2) 3M GVP PAPR System with bump helmet.

I didn't care for the Trend Airshield Pro so I bought a used 3M GVP system which I absolutely love.

What do you like about it?

3M system: Fits really well, can raise the face mask easily, light weight compared to the Trend. HEPA filtration system, battery pack and fan are on a belt. Quiet compared to the Trend.

Trend: ????

What do you dislike about it?

Trend: Noisy, a bit top heavy, you really can't raise the face mask without tilting the entire helmet back????? What's that all about? As others have said, you can smell the wood, therefore you must still be breathing some dust.

Are you able to comfortably wear a PAPR for extended periods of turning (say a couple of hours or so) during hot, humid summer days?

Have just purchased the systems, but I expect the 3M GVP system will work just fine, plenty of air flow. Have worn it for extended periods in winter and it is very comfortable.

Do you experience fogging of the PAPR face shield when using it on hot, humid days?

Can't really answer this question yet.

Do you experience sweating inside the PAPR when using it on hot, humid days?

Can't really answer this question yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions you have about selection of a PAPR would be much appreciated.

Would recommend you not settle on a system without trying them out. My mistake on the Trend. The Triton system is coming back in March at airwareamerica.com. Supposedly it is new and improved. If you can find a used 3M system, BUY IT. The Trend Airshield Pro cost $389.00....Personally wouldn't make that purchase again and am going to sell the one I own (which is 4 months old and rarely used).

Terry

Hilel Salomon
02-07-2010, 9:01 AM
A few thoughts:

Do I use a PAPR?
Absolutely, I was blowing dust out of my nose every time I was at the lathe until I started using a PAPR. It also affords great protection against flying objects.

Which do you have/use?

Being a compulsive shopper with two shops (SC and VA), I have quite a few:
two Trend Airshields w/ lots of batteries (Ken-there are several sites on the internet demonstrating how to make cheap and long lasting batteries for the Trend)
I have one Trend Pro
one-Triton
one older 3m airstream.

The easiest one for me to use is the Trend (regular); I find the pro a bit heavy and cumbersome to put on and take off. Both the Triton and 3M need batteries at the belt, and sometimes, that interferes with my turning.
Another caveat about the Triton. A few months ago, I couldn't determine which of my myriads of chargers was the one and I called Woodcraft and Triton for information. Neither of them knew!!!! Fortunately Steve and others came to my rescue. The fact that the distributor didn't know doesn't bode well.

Steve just bought a new airstream, and perhaps he can tell you how it works. My old airstream is ok.

Grant Wilkinson
02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Ken: On the subject of batteries, I use a belt-mounted battery pack with my Trend. I hooked two D cell holders, each holding 2-D cells together and wired them so that only 3 were being used. This gives an output of 3.6 volts with rechargeable cells. I have a coily cord going from the pack on my belt to the Trend. It plugs into the standard female socket on the Trend. Not only do I get days of turning on a charge, but I simply pop the batteries out of the holder to charge them. I don't need to do anything at the Trend end at all.

If you are interested in something similar, pm me and I can take pics if you like.