PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Leagues

Myk Rian
02-06-2010, 9:03 PM
Why was the thread removed?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 9:15 PM
Myk,

There was 3 threads today started about that.

Quoting the TOSs:

3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are
encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing,
generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed
to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

This was determined to be a link soley for the purpose of generating traffic to another site.

Myk Rian
02-06-2010, 9:41 PM
This was determined to be a link soley for the purpose of generating traffic to another site.
Which is exactly what all the Craigslist, etc. links do.
I'm sorry, but something just doesn't seem right.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 9:44 PM
Myk,

Keith just replied to the individual that started those threads..there were 3 of them.

The threads and the links were there to generate traffic to another website. While the intent may have been genuine, it did violate the TOSs as the intent of the thread and the link was to generate traffic to another website.

While the OPs intent might have been genuine and real, if we allowed that thread to stand, others for different subjects would follow. In the end SMC could end up being just a bulletin board for other websites rather than a group of woodworking and related forums.

Keith Outten
02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
It is extremely difficult to be fair moderating SawMill Creek when you consider the hundreds of situations we face every day. Over the course of almost seven years we have learned that our survival is based on staying focused on one goal and that is to provide a woodworking forum with a friendly atmosphere.

In order to keep SawMill Creek clean and free from a constant barrage of unauthorized advertising we have adopted several basic rules that we try our best to enforce as fairly as is humanly possible. I doubt that those who disagree with the Community Rules here would continue to do so if they would take the time to consider that there are very valid reasons for their existence. The core idea is that our main concern is what is good for the majority here.

If you compare SawMill Creek against any other woodworking forum the differences are very clear. This is the sole reason why The Creek is the largest woodworking forum on the Internet, in a nutshell this is how this particular group of people want things to be managed. I know because I have been listening to the people here since day one.

There is a down side to our system but the compromises we must make are well worth what we gain. The numbers don't lie and the success of this Community is built on top of our Terms of Service which protects us from those who would prefer to change things to suit their personal tastes. As I said above our primary concern is for the Woodworking Community not the individual and not other special interests.