PDA

View Full Version : Using Kreg Pocket screw jig on Baltic Birch

mike wacker
02-06-2010, 8:55 PM
I've had Kreg's "Master kit" for a couple of years now with several additional clamps, etc. I have several friend's in the Contruction, Finish, Cabinet business. Whenever we get together there is always talk about, "Well I did it this way. How'd you do that?" Then there is a pause and someone says, "Wait lets see how Wacker would do it with a pocket screw." Funny interlude to letting you know how much I like this thing.

But, I found some issues using them with Baltic Birch. The "3/4" Baltic Birch I have, isn't. The "1/2" I have is closer to 7/16 not even 15/32. I've resolved my issue with the "3/4" by adjusting the collar on the drill bill back about 1/16 closer to 3/32 so the 1 1/4 screw doesn't "poke thru". I leave the jig set at the 3/4 thickness mark. Does anyone have anybetter ideas? I do realize that BB is Metric and smaller, I'm seeking guidance on how to deal with it.

I can seem to make the Kreg jig work very well at all with the thinner than 1/2 inch BB. Any thought there?

Peter Pedisich
02-06-2010, 9:19 PM
Kreg makes a new jig for .475 ply.

mike wacker
02-06-2010, 9:57 PM
Kreg makes a new jig for .475 ply.

Thanks, Pete,

Does show up easily on their site. Do you have a part # or something?

Steve Walls
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22105&filter=kreg

keith micinski
02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
It's not much help but I even had trouble using my Kreg jig on half inch stuff and never really found a solution but to be careful not to tighten them to much. And by the way I love my Kreg jig also but after the half inch problems I probably wont use it for that again. I need to look at the link for this new jig designed for the smaller stuff I guess.

Mike Heidrick
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
They also have 3/4" screws now as well.