PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr.Pepper

Scott Shepherd
02-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Anyone tried the "Heritage" versions of those drinks that are out now? I was unaware of them until a week ago. Now I'm hung up on the Heritage Dr. Pepper. I loved it as a kid and almost never drank it as an adult, but boy that's good stuff. No corn syrup, just pure sugar, same as it was make when we were kids :)

If you haven't tried them and are looking to take a trip down memory lane, pick one up and give it a try! They are all very good!

John Coloccia
02-06-2010, 9:48 PM
I tried the Heritage Mt. Dew. I never drink sugared soft drinks. If anything, I always pick diet, but I do know what the corn syrup ones taste like though. I have to be very honest and say that I was very surprised I preferred the corn syrup versions better. I don't even have that much of a sweet tooth, but the Heritage version seemed to fizzy and didn't have the flavor I was expecting.

Like I said, I was very surprised, and maybe a bit disappointed in my OWN tastes. :)

Pat Germain
02-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been driking the "Pepsi Throwback" for a few weeks now. It tastes better than the corn syrup version. But it doesn't have quite the bite I remember from the old days. I suspect the heritage drinks are made with beet sugar and not cane sugar.

There are some local markets that sell the cane sugar versions of soda pop. From what I've heard, they are bottled in small batches and small retailers stock them. I should make an effort to buy some and see if those taste like I remember from the glass bottles.

John A. Callaway
02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
drinking one of dr. peppers now, and eating edamame. they are not bad!

James Artibee
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I love it , now if coke would do the same . I wish they would run both types and see which one people like better . Good find . JIM

Bryan Morgan
02-08-2010, 1:21 PM
Our local roach coach gets sodas from Mexico. They are all made with sugar and not corn syrup. I prefer sugar over corn syrup. On the sweetness scale corn syrup is actually way sweeter than sugar.... but to me it seems kind of acidy or something.

Randal Stevenson
02-09-2010, 2:42 AM
How do you tell the difference?

I have heard the stories about the Mexico coke, and I could buy it all day and did buy a case. I didn't really notice a big difference.

Now Dr. Pepper, the ORIGINAL bottling/distributer plant in Texas, still has its region and you can buy TWO cases of it (with the real sugar) at a time, online (been tempted).

Stephen Tashiro
02-09-2010, 3:53 AM
Is there a heritage version of Cheerwine? I can't remember if the old time Cheerwine bottles were hexagonal or octagonal.

Jim O'Dell
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
The Dublin (TX) Dr Pepper is pretty popular here. It is expensive though. There is one fast food chicken place that has it as a fountain drink. Price is the same as any of the other soft drinks. I agree that it doesn't have the bite, even that the corn syrup DP has. But it is good. Jim.

Horton Brasses
02-09-2010, 1:08 PM
I don't really drink soda (very often) but it is kind of neat that they went back to sugar. I am not sure how accurate it is but I had read somewhere that the price of sugar is actually lower than high fructose corn syrup and Pepsi Co is taking advantage of that and getting some added marketing pop.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-09-2010, 1:13 PM
I live twelve miles from Dublin and as far as I know it (Dr Pepper) has always been made with cane sugar there. Tell the truth I don't pay much attention as I rarely drink soft drinks.