PDA

View Full Version : Replacement motor for Grizzly 0555 Bandsaw

Jack Gaskins
02-06-2010, 8:44 PM
I need a motor for my G0555 bandsaw and Grizzly wants $197 for a 1hp replacement motor. Does anyone have this model bandsaw and have you replaced the motor on it? Would like to find a less expensive motor considering I could buy a new saw for $400.

Bruce Wrenn
02-06-2010, 10:57 PM
First, you need to know motor frame size (most likely NEMA 56) , rotation, and rpm's. Check to see if there is an electric motor shop near you. Often they have units that they rebuilt, and then customer didn't pick up. Both Northern Tool, and Surplus Center sell motors. Place an ad on craigslist for a motor, not just in the "wanted", but also in "tools." Check with local salvage (junk) yards. That's where I get most of my motors. Main thing on junk yard motors is to give them the smell test. If it smells like burnt insulation, don't buy it. Bad bearings, switches, and capacitors can be replaced. A "Dupont Tune Up" ( a can of spray paint) will improve the looks of an old motor. Your original Griz motor may have a metric shaft, so you might also need a new sheave.

Josiah Bartlett
02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Its a good opportunity to upgrade to a higher horsepower motor if you can fit it.

Michael O'Sullivan
02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
What's wrong with the motor (aside from not working ;))? Economically, it probably makes more sense to repair the current one, or upgrade to a higher HP one.

Todd Reinbold
02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I replaced mine with a 1 1/2 HP one from grizzly.

Ed Griner
02-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I bought a 2hp motor on e-bay for $27.00+shipping.Mine is a 14" delta. I made an adapter out of plywood,about 5 years ago.You can get mounting adapter kits at most motor shops.I would get at least a 2hp minimum,look around for a used motor. Good Luck/Ed

Tom Veatch
02-07-2010, 1:41 AM
I haven't replaced a motor on that model, but, if you match the frame size, rpm, direction of rotation, and electrical requirements, it should be a simple bolt-on replacement.

A problem might crop up if it uses an IEC or non-standard NEMA mount. Check your current motor's data plate and get one that matchs as closely as you can. If you're thinking about upgrading the power, you may run into not being able to match the frame size. There may not be much "off-the-shelf" commonality between 2HP and larger motor frame sizes. Then you'll be talking about needing a new motor mount (or modifying the existing) and drive pulley.

Chip Lindley
02-07-2010, 2:15 AM
It's true all same-horsepower motors are not created equal. But, IMO, 2hp on a 14" bandsaw is a bit *overkill*! A 1hp TEFC farm-duty motor does all I need to do on a 14" Delta with riser block, using a 3tip x 3/8" blade for resawing. Practically speaking, a 1.5hp motor is all that will fit in the old-style Delta enclosed stand. 2hp is too physically large!