PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas to add crown in kitchen

travis howe
02-06-2010, 7:43 PM
We have nice oak cabinets but there is only about an inch from the door top to the ceiling. I'd like to add crown molding across all the cabinets. All I can really think of doing is to add an inch or so of oak across the bottom and then slide the cabinets down enough to add crown molding.

Any other ideas besides take the cabinets all the way off the wall and move them down?:confused:

Mark Bolton
02-06-2010, 7:55 PM
Perhaps you could look into a different type of molding rather than crown. Perhaps something with a bit more projection on the ceiling and still only 3/4" thick.

It will be tough with only 1" between the doors and ceiling.

That said, I dont see an end to crown coming soon, but in my opinion crown has become a bit cliche in residential construction. It use to be something used in special areas but now people just put crown in every room in their house. Its not special anymore.

I liken it to Oak trim. Years ago it was special, an upgrade from pine. Now in many areas its just what everyone else has.

I personally like more elegant top treatments on cabinets as of late. A graceful cove, anything but crown.

Mark

Josiah Bartlett
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I would try some sort of wide cornice molding that isn't very wide vertically but sticks out several inches onto the ceiling. A simple cove or cove+bead would probably look good.