PDA

View Full Version : Second 1/2 of Wedding Gift

Scott Coffelt
10-24-2004, 7:54 PM
I showed the bowl I made a few weeks agao, here is the box that will be given with it. The box is QS Oak and Walnut. About 10" long and 5" wide.

Finished with clear lacquer.

Michael Stafford
10-24-2004, 8:00 PM
Way to go Scott! A very stylish and clean lined box. Almost makes me want to get married again... What am I saying, I am married... I don't need another box that badly... Nice gift!

Ernie Kuhn
10-25-2004, 1:31 AM
Scott,
Excellent! The legs look like they are tapered in thickness. Is this correct? Really neat design and excellent finish. Sprayed?
Ernie

Keith Starosta
10-25-2004, 9:12 AM
Scott, that is beautiful!! I'm curious, how did you attach the legs to the body of the box?

Keith

Kent Cori
10-25-2004, 9:33 AM
Terrific work Scott. I'm sure they will love both the bowl and the box.

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Nice...but that design sure looks familiar! :)

Betsy Yocum
10-25-2004, 1:48 PM
The box is beautiful Scott - a great gift to be sure!

I have the same question as Keith - how did you attach the legs - glue only?

Betsy

Scott Coffelt
10-25-2004, 3:51 PM
Scott,
Excellent! The legs look like they are tapered in thickness. Is this correct? Really neat design and excellent finish. Sprayed?
Ernie

Yes, they are taped on both side and front surfaces. I did that on the disk sander by hand (Free handed basically). Fingers sure do get a close to the sandpaper. One worng move and you lost your skin.

Scott Coffelt
10-25-2004, 3:54 PM
Other answers:

1. Sprayed with canned lacquer.
2. Legs are just glued, as there really wasn't much to attach with. I used the tried and true method of clamping... heavy duty tape. I guess we'll see if they hold. If I had a micro piner, I might have given it a try.
3. Design, just took other things i've seen and tried to make a twist. In the end, it is just a box, hard to get too creative... chris ;)