PDA

View Full Version : Toy Chest Lid Support

Randy Klein
02-06-2010, 6:56 PM
I've re-purposed some of my military foot lockers into toy chests for the kids. The only problem being the lid can slam shut rather violently and a kids finger or hand could be harmed. I'm looking for lid supports to hold the lid open or at least slow down the shutting, but I can't find any that work with a boxed lid. They all require the lid to be a flat panel. The chests are rather large, about 20" deep by 36" wide.

Any suggestions?

Glen Butler
02-06-2010, 7:05 PM
I don't exactly follow "boxed lid" but lowes has some lid opening hardware that spring open. So it will only close if applying effort to close it. When it gets to a certain point an over center cam engages and holds it closed.

Randy Klein
02-06-2010, 7:11 PM
I don't exactly follow "boxed lid" but lowes has some lid opening hardware that spring open. So it will only close if applying effort to close it. When it gets to a certain point an over center cam engages and holds it closed.

It's this exact one...

Kevin Womer
02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I have used one from Rockler, I can't recall but I believe they had types for different mounting situations like on the side.

John McClanahan
02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Rockler has toy box lid supports, but they are for flat lids. Could you use a block of wood inside the lid to make the transition that would be needed?

Page 100 of the Feb 2010 catalog.

John

Randy Klein
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Tonight I found something at Lowes that may work. It's a screen door spring, adjustable for pressure. Hopefully it won't be too strong that it prevents closing. We'll see tomorrow.

david kramer
02-07-2010, 1:19 AM
Randy,

I built a toy chest with a box lid. The lid is about 2.5" deep. I used this lid support: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=414&filter=lid. It looks like it's designed for a flat lid, but it works just fine on the boxed lid. The arm is plenty long enough to reach up into the box.

Good luck.
David

Glen Butler
02-07-2010, 2:47 AM
The one from lowes will work on that you just have to adjust their measurement to fit your app.