PDA

View Full Version : Simple marking gage

Jeff Wittrock
02-06-2010, 6:53 PM
I have always liked the wheel type marking gages so I thought I would try and make something similar.

I guess it isn't really a wheel gage since the cutter doesn't spin. The cutter and shaft are a single piece made from a 5/16" hex head bolt with the threaded section cut off. I ground the hex head round and thin, then down to a knife edge. I hardened then honed the edge. I know the quality and pedigree of the steel is questionable, but it cuts well and seems to be holding up.

For the thumb screw, I just used a 1/4 hex head bolt and again ground the hex head round and cut the knurling with a small triangle file. Sorry for the poor quality photos, but I coudn't take one well enough to show the knurling. Despite my crude method, the thumb screw actually came out better than I thought.

The is just a piece of hard maple I had on hand. I didn't both with any finish, but just waxed it.

James Ogle
02-06-2010, 6:58 PM
That is pretty good use of available material. Looks like it turned out better than my gauge last week.

harry strasil
02-06-2010, 7:04 PM
Nice job! the hardenability depends on the number of hash marks that were on the head,

None = grade 2 soft you can twist off a 1/2 bolt with a 6 inch crescent wrench usually sold by the # in farm stores

3 = grade 5 better

5 = grade 8 tough material

6+ = aviation quality for motor mounts and such

Bob Strawn
02-06-2010, 8:03 PM
I love it. The spin doesn't really do anything to help. No spin is just as nice. No real downside to you tool!

Bob

Jeff Wittrock
02-06-2010, 9:07 PM
None = grade 2 soft you can twist off a 1/2 bolt with a 6 inch crescent wrench usually sold by the # in farm stores

3 = grade 5 better

5 = grade 8 tough material

6+ = aviation quality for motor mounts and such

Thanks Harry,

Unfortunately, grade 2 it is :(. I know a propane torch and a quench in oil can't make up for poor steel, but hopefully the edge won't just roll over on me.

I have pretty much zero metal working experience except for just fooling around with some simple tools, but I can sure see how it could become addictive.

-Jeff

Bill Houghton
02-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Having used a stock size of bolt, if you find this one's not working out, you can upgrade to a higher grade of bolt without a lot of trouble.

Clever.