PDA

View Full Version : Slider purchase considerations - Sliding Table length and attachments

Steve Rowe
02-06-2010, 6:16 PM
I would like to start a series of threads which is intended to be information for anyone considering purchase of a slider. It is also for current slider owners to share information on their machines and the considerations they made in making that decision. From the recent thread on ripping on a slider, it is obvious that slider owners use their machines to what best fits their needs and they aren't always the same. We can all learn something new (I know I do) from pictures that others post on how they use their machines so lets all share.

My primary objective in getting a slider was that I wanted to be able to accurately rip down the center of sheet goods longways. With my cabinet saw, I had a generous shop made outfeed table but positioning roller stands at the infeed and outboard of the machine was precarious at best particularly if cutting something with an mdf core. I seldom got a good cut man-handling this thing alone. If I had help available, I usually ended up worse off than if I just did it alone.

So with this is my objective, I quickly learned that with most machines, to use the sliding table to rip down the center of an 8 ft sheet of ply, you needed a table longer than 8 feet. Some of this is based on just how far the sliding table will stroke in relation to the blade (a brand specific parameter) and the other factor is having room to clamp the workpiece to the table to get the most accurate cut (usually a few inches at each end of the table).

Of course, the longer the table length, the more room will be required. In addition to the full stroke required for cutting, the sliding table has an extended stroke forward to allow access for changing the blade. While this is very machine specific, for the Martin T60 with the 3.3m table, the full stroke is 25ft- 4 inches. Depending on your shop size and where you want to place the machine, this could restrict the slider length you choose. If you get a machine with an outrigger table that is not easy to remove and handle, the wingspan can be significant as well.

Picture 1 shows the table fully retracted (beginning of cut). Note that the table clears the scoring blade. Picture 2 shows the table position at the end of the cut. Note that the end of the table will provide a full length of the table cut. Not all sliders have this full stroke feature so it is something you need to check on whatever saws you are considering. There is nothing more frustrating than to spend big bucks on something that doesn't do the job you want it to do.

In the second picture you will note a shiny bar with slots milled in it along the axis of the table. These slots are for locking the table and with the Martin, the table can be locked anywhere along the length of the table (at increments of the slot spacing). The silver lever on the end of the table is the table locking handle. Locking the table is important primarily to load sheet goods on the table and outrigger. I also lock when I rip using the rip fence to the right of the blade. On most machines, the table could only be locked in two positions. It isn't as convenient or flexible but certainly is workable.

Picture 3 shows the felt pad that contains lubricant for the slider ways. The pad is large enough to contain enough lubricant for extended operation (many months) without refilling. In addition to applying lubricant, it cleans any sawdust from the hardened ways shown in picture 4. I don't particularily like oil in the shop but excess is well captured and I only occassionally wipe down the area below the ways.

Pictures 5 and 6 show a modified Kreg holdown clamp and a shaper hold down clamp. The Kreg vise grip clamp slips into an aluminum t-nut slipped into the table slot. To install, the screw on the bottom of the clamp slips into the hole and is then slid to one end of the t-nut. It slides freely up and down the table and only locks into position when the clamp is actuated. (Note: credit for this design goes to my late friend Jim who created a number of aids you will see in this and other threads.) To use the shaper hold down clamp, I had a machine shop make me a couple of tee nuts to fit the slider. I only use these when I need greater reach than what the Kreg clamps provide. The Kreg clamps are much faster to install and operate.

Pictures 7 and 8 show how a support table is attached to the sliding table. There are a series of stacked belleville washers which act to hold the support in position. Level of the support table is addressed by some nylon tipped setscrews to prevent damage to the aluminum table.

More to follow.
Steve

Steve Rowe
02-06-2010, 6:22 PM
Picture 1 shows the support table installed. I have found this support is necessary for supporting long sheet goods that overhang the 16" wide sliding table by more than 20 inches.

Picture 2 shows another sliding table attachment that attaches in a manner similar to the support table. Most of this device is shop made with the Aigner mounting bar being commericially available.

Picture 3 shows why you shouldn't liquidate your tenoning jig if you sell your cabinet saw. A shop made aluminum plate with a bar to go in the t-slot will get you up and going if this is your preferred method of making tenons.

Steve

Rick Potter
02-07-2010, 2:27 AM
Nice start for the series Steve. I have to come up with some kind of T nut for my Felder. That Kreg clamp jig is great.

Rick Potter

Mike Wilkins
02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Steve. I stated before that owners of sliders have to come up with their own ideas/fixes/innovations to utilize a sliding tablesaw to its full potential. One idea for making attachments to the slider is to purchase tee nuts from the manufacturer of your machine; or what I did-measure the tee slot in the table and check the Grizzly catalog for a suitable tee nut that will fit the slot. I don't remember what page, but in the metal machine components portion of the catalog, there are T-nuts made for different size slots. Works great for making attachments to the slider.
As soon as I get this picture posting thing figured out, I will post the jigs for all to see.

Jim Becker
02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
When I was making the decision to go with a slider, there was no question I wanted the 8'6" wagon both for the obvious benefit in rip cuts of full size sheet goods as well as for straight lining solid stock. I couldn't fit anything longer in my shop, however, and shorter just didn't make sense at all, at least for my intended use.

Robert Chapman
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow - with a 25' 4" stroke I could rip my whole shop!

Steve Rowe
02-09-2010, 4:47 PM
Thanks Steve. I stated before that owners of sliders have to come up with their own ideas/fixes/innovations to utilize a sliding tablesaw to its full potential. One idea for making attachments to the slider is to purchase tee nuts from the manufacturer of your machine; or what I did-measure the tee slot in the table and check the Grizzly catalog for a suitable tee nut that will fit the slot. I don't remember what page, but in the metal machine components portion of the catalog, there are T-nuts made for different size slots. Works great for making attachments to the slider.
As soon as I get this picture posting thing figured out, I will post the jigs for all to see.

I really look forward to seeing your jigs. I had tried to find a t-nut that worked with my slider from Grizzly, Enco, and MSC but with no luck. I have used Baltic birch ply with threaded inserts and it works surpizing well.

Wow - with a 25' 4" stroke I could rip my whole shop!

Me too (almost). With this saw oriented front to rear in my shop I had 2" clearance or less from the garage door and back wall. Side to side was much better for clearance but I seem to have less efficient use of my shop. I am not sure whether this would be a rip or crosscut though:D. This is why Jim's point of not too big but big enough is a very important concept. It is different for each of us.

Steve Rowe
02-09-2010, 5:06 PM
Here are the details for the Kreg clamp setup. Picture 1 shows the hold down clamp modified by welding an oversize washer on the bottom of the clamp. A piece of self stick UHMW sheet is then stuck to the bottom of the washer to protect the table from scratches. A countersunk machine screw is then inserted in lieu of the bolt that came with the original clamp.

Pictures 2 and 3 show the top an bottom of the t-nut (I guess it really isn't a nut because it has no threads). It is milled from aluminum to fit loosely in the table slot. It has an oversize hole drilled to allow the head of the countersunk screw to engage with the nut. The bottom shows the countersunk slot milling. This setup is the second generation.

Picture 4 shows the first generation t-nut. It was improved to the second generation above to ensure it stays engaged when sliding the clamp in both directions along the table.

The more I use this clamp, the more I like it. It is very quick to setup and slides easily along the table for optimum positioning. When you actuate the clamp, it locks the position not only of your workpiece but the clamp as well.

The only improvements that I can visualize are:

If I could find a clamp with a longer reach and deeper throat, it would enable me to clamp all the way to the edge of the sliding table and enable reaching over the crosscut fence on the outrigger.
Trim off the overhang of the washer on the pad side of the clamp as this restricts the reach somewhat.
Again, credit for this design goes to my late friend Jim who I miss a lot.
Hope this helps.