PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Forum Converted by Aaron Koehl

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 4:47 PM
Has anyone else noticed that ShopBot has turned off the search capability on their forum?

There has been some discontent over the issue and I agree that using the Google search to find recent posts is not the best method.

I wonder whats up?

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-06-2010, 4:59 PM
Hey Keith. I asked Shopbot via the live feed they had today on Ustream and they said "Quote"
4:06 ShopBot: For some reason, the forum search stopped working on our server a couple of weeks ago. There is a link to a google search within the forum that works well though.
4:07 ShopBot: We are in the process of getting new forum software up that will have a less awkward search and be a little more modern.
4:07 ShopBot: Unfortunately, it will me that we have an archival forum as well as a new and currently evolving forum.

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Kurt,

I expect they haven't been able to convert their existing forum to any of the new software platforms. They have been promising to do this for a long time and it looks like failing software may be forcing their hand.

Unfortunately archiving their existing forum and moving to new software that is empty will be a major loss for their community and customers. Years of input, ideas and hard work will be lost as people generally don't visit inactive forums.

How do I know? When Badger Pond went offline over six years ago the forums were archived and I haven't heard anyone mention them since.

I offered eighteen months ago to ask our Server Admin Aaron Koehl to take a look at their data to see if he could come up with a conversion. Aaron is an expert in this field.

:(

Keith Outten
03-12-2010, 7:11 AM
The ShopBot Forum has been upgraded to vBulletin by our Server Administrator Aaron Koehl.

Aaron did a fabulous job converting their old software to vBulletin and was able to save all of their threads, pictures and links. This was a huge job, Aaron deserves a major pat on the back for saving years of valuable input and information contributed by some of the very best CNC operators in the business.

Their new Forum is up to par now with all the bells and whistles that vBulletin has to offer, this is great news for everyone who owns a CNC machine no matter what flavor.

Thanks to Ted Hall, the owner of ShopBot, and to SawMill Creeker Aaron Koehl for making this happen!!!!!!

Unfortunately Aaron had to stop working on our new "Friends of The Creek" module to convert the ShopBot Forum. Now that the job is done he can get back to work for us and get the new link search system up and running for all here to enjoy :)

Chuck Saunders
03-12-2010, 8:01 AM
Way to go Aaron!

Steven DeMars
03-12-2010, 9:11 AM
Aaron, you get 10 "atta a boys" . . . .

Shopbot needed it bad . . .

Steve

james mcgrew
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
i am truley impressed, as i knew there were some people who expected a disaster!! it is obvious Aaron is the vbullitin wizard

Phil Thien
03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
That has to be a HUGE relief for the ShopBot people.

Aaron Koehl
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
i am truley impressed, as i knew there were some people who expected a disaster!! it is obvious Aaron is the vbullitin wizard
No sweat.