PDA

View Full Version : NE Locust ruffout

Eric Kosanovich
02-06-2010, 4:04 PM
Have not made it to the shop yet to dig the door out so i'll post something from yesterday.

Might make some interesting NE bowls. My only expereience with it was making some wooden pegs on a shaving horse. Will be interested to see what you can come up with!

Candle holders:

David E Keller
02-06-2010, 4:40 PM
Looks like a pretty piece of wood... Not sure what your vision is for the final shape. Also, it looks like the walls are pretty thick for the overall diameter of the piece. Where are you headed with the form on this one?

Dennis Ford
02-06-2010, 8:51 PM
I have not turned any locust but understand it is pretty hard when dry, if this piece is still wet you might consider turning it to finished thickness. It would warp and that might bother you. I don't mind an out of round natural edge piece, seems to make it even more natural. Whatever you decide it should make a nice piece.

Eric Kosanovich
02-06-2010, 9:10 PM
David,
You know i was not really going any where proticular with this and was showing the wife and she has claim them and that is that lol. so i will clean them up when thay dry up.

Dennis,
This wood is green vary wet ans still hard as a rock warping is ok not a prob for me. After seeing another post about bird feeders got me to thinking... Locust fence post thay say last for a hundred years in the ground why not use it to make a bird feeder out of it. It's the perfict wood for outside use. so my next post will be One Hundred Year Birdfeeder LOL.