PDA

View Full Version : My latest project-acrylic cake decorations

Larry Bratton
02-06-2010, 3:37 PM
This was a fun project I just completed. It is kind of unusual so I thought I would share it.
These decorations are going to be used on a multi layered cake for Mardi gras. The Lions are 12" and 8" and are made from 1/4" clear acrylic, faced with IPI Heavy Metal Radiant Gold and engraved. The shields are all acrylic, cut and glued up with Weldon #3.
The 12" lion goes between a 24" and 16" layer on the cake,the shields go between a 10" and 8" layer and the 8" lion tops it off.
(The red eyes are plastic, faceted craft beads)

Dee Gallo
02-06-2010, 3:52 PM
Beautiful job, Larry! I love the combination of metal and bold red - great for Mardi Gras! That should be an eye-popping cake once it's put together.

cheers, dee

Frank Corker
02-06-2010, 5:32 PM
Great job Larry!

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree, this is good stuff!

Thanks Larry for sharing the ideas, very impressive!

Larry Bratton
02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks very much, those are nice comments especially coming from Dee, Frank and Keith. I am constantly in awe of your work.

Steve C Wallace
02-07-2010, 7:57 AM
great to see others using multiple substrates. Great Job and very artistic.

Dan Hintz
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
the stuff that impresses me the most is the true 3D items... when working with 2D materials, it's so easy for me to forget about thinking in 3D. Love the cube!

Emily Wilson
02-08-2010, 5:24 PM
I really like the decorations, they look quite regal.

David Harvey
02-09-2010, 9:53 AM
Wow Larry,
That is some excellent work!

I love that 3D element on the shields...that always adds a 'pop' to an item that just begs attention.

This looks like something that a local bakery or grocery store that makes cakes-in-store would be interested in on an on-going basis. You should drop by one day and show them a sample and see what happens....

Thanks for sharing...and great work!

Scott Balboa
02-09-2010, 2:13 PM
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Larry Bratton
02-09-2010, 9:43 PM
Wow Larry,
That is some excellent work!

I love that 3D element on the shields...that always adds a 'pop' to an item that just begs attention.

This looks like something that a local bakery or grocery store that makes cakes-in-store would be interested in on an on-going basis. You should drop by one day and show them a sample and see what happens....

Thanks for sharing...and great work!
David,Ya think? I would have to build another one for a sample, these went out to the customer. That's a good idea.