PDA

View Full Version : Groz Rapid Action I Bar Clamp

Wakahisa Shinta
02-06-2010, 2:19 PM
I need more clamps. Woodcraft is having a sale on their Groz Rapid Action I-Bar Clamps. I searched for reviews with Google, but didn't find any review. Are these any good?

Link here (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020344/21958/Rapid-Action-I-Bar-Clamp-24.aspx)

scott vroom
02-06-2010, 6:34 PM
I read somewhere they are made in India, a country not exactly known for it's manufacturing quality. Still, the clearance price is attractive.

Ed Griner
02-06-2010, 7:21 PM
I got a bench vise based on a FWW review,I wouldn't recommend it.I think your money would be better spent with familiar hardware.
Good luck Ed

glenn bradley
02-06-2010, 7:33 PM
If you can put your hands on the ones you will buy (like HF clamps) I would think you would be OK. It is a big disappointment to get clamps through the mail and find the faces are no where near parallel and cause skew every time you torque them on something.

David DeCristoforo
02-06-2010, 9:24 PM
No offense intended to anyone but India is one of the few places in the world that has a worse quality control reputation than China. At least for cast parts. Probably made from remelted man hole covers.

Ed Griner
02-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Dave is being nice. The vice I posted about earlier is a complete piece of el crappo.FWW really need to take a close look at their testing staff,objectivity has become a low priority. Good clamps last a life time. I hate to say this,but it still seems "you get what you pay for". If somebody tried to sell me something marked GROZ,I'd turn around and run out of the store. Ed

Tom Welch
02-07-2010, 5:28 AM
I have 4 of them, 2 -36" and 2 -48". I used them for glueing up cabinet doors. They work great and you can really put a lot of pressure (maybe to much if not careful) They are really heavy. But I noticed that the paint on the I beams comes off and sticks to the wood where glue contacts it. I havn't used them since I got my Jorgy's parallell clamps. Although I have had these for years with out any problems with them, I second what was said on India quality control. I also bought my Groz at wood craft.
Hope this helps.

Wakahisa Shinta
02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was attracted by the clearance price. I've decided to save my money and buy the more familiar brands after reading your posts.

Chris Barrett
11-21-2016, 4:25 PM
Does anyone have updated opinions of these i/t bar clamps? They're on amazon with no reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DAPPY20?psc=1

jack duren
11-21-2016, 6:00 PM
I can't see why they wouldn't work other than extending the threads out to far and warping it. If you can find good Jorgensen I-beam even used you can't go wrong...

jack duren
11-21-2016, 6:04 PM
I have 4 of them, 2 -36" and 2 -48". I used them for glueing up cabinet doors. They work great and you can really put a lot of pressure (maybe to much if not careful) They are really heavy. But I noticed that the paint on the I beams comes off and sticks to the wood where glue contacts it. I havn't used them since I got my Jorgy's parallell clamps. Although I have had these for years with out any problems with them, I second what was said on India quality control. I also bought my Groz at wood craft.
Hope this helps.

The Jorgensen,Bessey,etc parallel clamps are not the same as Beam clamps,pipe clamps,etc. You have light,medium and heavy duty on clamps.