PDA

View Full Version : need help picking out a chuck

cody michael
02-06-2010, 2:04 PM
i'm buying a chuck. LOWER PRICED ONE. LIKE TO KEEP UNDER 100$ or about there.

i was looking at woodcraft 89$ one. PSI have the same one with free extra jaws but not avialable till late march.

any other ideas? someone said a 99$ grizzly one but i can't find it? there is also a cheap grizzly one at like 50$ is that one decent or junk?

or does anyone ahve a nice used one for sale for around that price thanks cody

JerHall
02-06-2010, 2:18 PM
Good chuck. Takes all the Vicmarc jaws for the VM100 which is a big plus
http://grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Chuck-1-1-2-X-8-TPI/H7820

Bob Haverstock
02-06-2010, 2:33 PM
Cody,

I've had some experience with the Grizzly chucks. The $99 chuck is worth the money. I've had 2 of the $50 chucks, they didn't run true enough to suit me. They had maybe .030" runout. I wouldnot trade one of the ninety-nine dollar chucks for 10 of the cheap ones.

Bob

Antonio Martinez
02-06-2010, 3:10 PM
I really like the PSI chuck. With what comes with it you really make out. For me, it's worth the wait.

Scott Lux
02-06-2010, 4:28 PM
I have the PSI economy as well, didn't come with the jumbo flat jaws when I bought it, but it was less money then too.

I really like it. I've used it to hold a 3/8" bolt (head cut off) for a wine-stopper chuck. Works a treat.

Lux

Michael Mills
02-06-2010, 5:13 PM
I have one of the Woodcraft and it is OK. The jaws will fall out if you open it too far. The tommy bars never bothered me. Around $110 when you add shipping and taxes?
I also have a Nova and there is no comparison in quality. I just purchased a Nova G3 on ebay for $125 (insert, shipping, taxes, included). The seller may still have them listed, just search Nova G3. For $15 more I don’t think you can go wrong.
However, additional jaws for the Nova are more expensive.
The other brands I have no experience with.
Mike

Mike Peace
02-06-2010, 5:27 PM
+1 on the G3.

cody michael
02-07-2010, 6:23 PM
what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-CSC2000C-Barracuda-Lathe-System/dp/B000KICC62/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265581868&sr=8-5

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2010, 7:02 PM
I have 3 of the Grizzly chucks and they are pretty good chucks. As Jerry said they will take all of the Vicmarc jaws. I would go with the Grizzly before I went with the that one Cody.

Walt Helms
02-07-2010, 7:23 PM
+1 on the G3....

cody michael
02-07-2010, 9:47 PM
is the grizzly better then the psi barracuda from amazon? its only like 10$ more after you factor in shipping and it has 4 sets of jaws?

this one http://www.amazon.com/PSI-CSC2000C-Barracuda-Lathe-System/dp/B000KICC62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265582033&sr=8-1

i am only a hobbiest user a couple times a week i use my lathe. and money is tight will i be just as happy with the cheaper woodcraft/psi basic chuck? i have a couple coupons for woodcraft and i couild go pick it so no shipping. anyone have a 15% off woodcraft coupon? can i use that and the free shipping offer?

Doug W Swanson
02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Cody,

I've got the PSI 3000 chuck and I like it. Like you, I am on a budget and I didn't want to spend $300 or more on a chuck. The main reason I got the 3000 was then it is a little easier to mount stuff to the chuck.

I have not used any other chucks so I can't give a comparison but I do think the PSI chucks are a great deal....

JMO,
Doug

JerHall
02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
that you linked to. It has the two knuckle knocker tommy bars. You won't like it unless you have 3 hands. Get a chuck that has a hex key for tightening. Get the Grizzly that is the majority advice in this thread or one like it that uses standard jaws from Vicmarc or Nova, then get additional jaws as you need them. Grizzly has two jaws at $20 each, but I would just start out with the standard jaws. As you gain experience and learn what you like to do you will know what added jaw set you want.

Jeff Fagen
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I am looking at the Oneway Talon chuck for $206.99,I am told it is a better chuck than the Barracuda.What can you guys tell me?

Doug W Swanson
02-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Jeff,

The Oneway might be a better chuck than the Barracuda but with the Oneway you need to buy an adapter to fit your lathe and any extra jaws. This can easily add $50-100 to the price of the chuck.

For $170, my Barracuda came with an adapter and 4 sets of jaws. I've had it for a year and it has done everything I have asked of it.

To me, It's kind of like comparing Craftsman to Snap-On. Some people like to buy Snap-On but I am very satisfied with my Craftsman tools (and my Barracuda chuck).

Hope this helps.....
Doug

Joe Adams
02-08-2010, 1:01 AM
I am looking at the Oneway Talon chuck for $206.99,I am told it is a better chuck than the Barracuda.What can you guys tell me?

I have a Oneway Talon chuck and love it. It comes standard with the #2 jaws which work well for everything I've turned so far. Some sellers include the adapter.

Compare prices at Rockler, Craft Supply, Woodworkers Supply, Hartville Tools, and eBay before you buy. It's on sale at Rockler and Hartville has a promo through the 15th that includes four free turning DVDs.

Dennis Puskar
02-08-2010, 1:06 AM
Jerry
I have the Barracuda 2 chuck from PSI and it has a "T" handled wrench for tightening the jaws, not a Tommy Bar.

Dennis

Jim Sebring
02-08-2010, 2:46 AM
Nobody has asked what size your lathe spindle is. I think the largest PSI adapters only fit 1 x 8 spindles. I haven't looked at the Grizzly catalog lately, so don't know what size(s) they fit. The Nova G3 adapters can handle about any lathe spindle on the planet.

The two basic technical issues in selecting a chuck should be spindle sizes and jaw sets available. I've found that the basic 50 mm (2") jaws supplied on most chucks will cover about 85% of most turners' needs.

cody michael
02-08-2010, 8:12 AM
my spindle is 1x8 (the better hf lathe) does grizzly have any coupons out i could use?

Allen Neighbors
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm an old stick in the mud. I still think you can't beat the Nova SN2 chucks. Well worth the extra coins, because of all the interchangeable jaws, which saves you extra coins in the long run. :D

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
+1 on the G3. A nice plus on the Nova line, is all the jaws interchange, except for the Titan. If/when you upgrade to the Supernova, (another nice chuck) all the jaws fit.

Ryan Baker
02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Nobody has asked what size your lathe spindle is. I think the largest PSI adapters only fit 1 x 8 spindles. I haven't looked at the Grizzly catalog lately, so don't know what size(s) they fit. The Nova G3 adapters can handle about any lathe spindle on the planet.

I agree. I wouldn't recommend any chuck that does not use interchangeable inserts. With a direct-thread chuck, you will be throwing away your investment when you inevitably upgrade lathes later.

The two basic technical issues in selecting a chuck should be spindle sizes and jaw sets available. I've found that the basic 50 mm (2") jaws supplied on most chucks will cover about 85% of most turners' needs.

That depends on what kind of turning you do. For me, standard 2" jaws don't meet more than about 15% of my needs. A lot of turners use the standard jaws for everything because they are the only jaws they have, they don't want to buy more, or they don't want to mess with changing jaws.

In general, you get what you pay for when buying a chuck. In the future you WILL want more chucks and more jaws. Do yourself a favor and buy into a line that gives you room to grow with quality chucks, jaws, adapters, etc. Also try to stay in the same chuck family, or you will again spend a lot more money in the long term. The chuck that is right for your needs depends completely on what type of work you do now and plan to do in the future. You don't need to spend a fortune, but don't necessarily go for the "obvious bargain" either.

scott schmidt grasshopper
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I have a talon chuck and dont like the serrated jaws they dont bottom out well on dovetails so have to be fanaglled to run true in my opionon, I have a vicmark and love it ( the bigger one) if I had it to do over would buy a grizzly and vicmark jaws when I need a later grip

Ryan Baker
02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I have a talon chuck and dont like the serrated jaws they dont bottom out well on dovetails so have to be fanaglled to run true in my opionon, I have a vicmark and love it ( the bigger one) if I had it to do over would buy a grizzly and vicmark jaws when I need a later grip

Oneway profiled jaws are not supposed to be used with dovetails. Vicmarc (and Grizzly which is a Vicmarc clone), Teknatool, and Oneway smooth jaws are for use with dovetails.

Profiled jaws and dovetailed jaws are very different animals with different uses. There are times when each of them excel over the other type. Neither is "better", just more appropriate for the type of work at hand.

Joe Adams
02-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Oneway profiled jaws are not supposed to be used with dovetails. Vicmarc (and Grizzly which is a Vicmarc clone), Teknatool, and Oneway smooth jaws are for use with dovetails.

Profiled jaws and dovetailed jaws are very different animals with different uses. There are times when each of them excel over the other type. Neither is "better", just more appropriate for the type of work at hand.

That's why I bought the Talon. If the profiled jaws are not right for an application, you can get Oneway smooth jaws for use with dovetails. Best of both worlds.

Marvin Hasenak
02-09-2010, 1:21 AM
I would stay with the original chuck that you picked out from PSI. You said it was due in stock in March, that is 3 weeks away. You not only get 2 sets of jaws but also the flat jaws, another $26 value. I have the same chuck, it worked and worked for everything I threw at it. You will never have enough chucks, and this one is a good one to start with. I upgraded to a Nova, the additional cost for jaws are not worth it. I also have the Barracuda2, and in my pennies worth of opinion it is the best bargain for chucks. If I could have gotten my money back on the Nova I would have, it is a good chuck, but in my opinion not worth the extra dollars.

In 3 or 4 weeks you will have the original chuck you wanted, and you will have all of the extra dollars to spend on a new toy. Or save up and buy the Barracuda2 with all of the jaws.