PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with East Indian Rosewood

Brian Brown
02-06-2010, 1:55 PM
I have an East Indian Rosewood blank I want to use for a hollow form. It was kind of expensive, so I don't want to screw it up. Anybody ever turned the stuff and have any recomendations. The MC is at 11-12 now, so it still needs to dry some. Do I rough to 10% thickness and dry as usual, or is it more prone to cracking than other woods? Is there a better proceedure? It is currently 100% sealed in parafin. Also, I have heard that the dust is a real problem. Any other considerations or suggestions when turning it?

Allen Neighbors
02-06-2010, 2:27 PM
I turned my first piece of that wood, before I knew anything about it. The day after I turned it, I received notice that the dust was toxic. I ended up with a Sinus and Lung Infection that lasted about 3 months. It almost shut me down. Just make sure to wear respiratory protection, whenever you turn it.
The wood is exquisitely beautiful. It turns really well. I would be more worried about the possibility of it cracking, than anything. I think your thoughts on turning it to 10% thickness is a good idea. After rough-turning, I would cover the end grain with Anchor seal or paraffin, and put in a low, cool place to dry.
Just my thoughts on it..