PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhh the snow

Keith Christopher
02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Been snowing here in Baltimore since yesterday around 3pm and now we have about 28" so far. Digging out will be a blast I am sure.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Keith - and everyone else in the mid-Atlantic states - stay safe!! that is a ton of snow, and even more so for areas that are not accustomed to getting anywhere near that amount...

David G Baker
02-06-2010, 1:25 PM
We missed it this time in Mid Michigan. Most of the weather has been going South of us this year.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 1:27 PM
Stay safe! We would gladly take some out here. We are extremely short of snow this year and we will have a terrible forest fire season as a result.

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 1:45 PM
Keith,

No pictures it didn't or in this case isn't happening :)

Here is a picture taken from my second story shop office of the back of my old barn last weekend. We had seven inches of snow which is very rare for our area.
I haven't seen 28 inches of snow since we left Oswego, NY in 1985.

Stay warm and dry!

Brian Hale
02-06-2010, 2:28 PM
Looks like the worst of it is over with now, just some lite flurries and blowing snow. Just got back in from making a path to the new garage/shop where the snow was 4' in places due to the wind. Hard to get a good measurement but it looks like we got around 30".

At least we still have power!

Brian :)

Myk Rian
02-06-2010, 2:39 PM
We missed it this time in Mid Michigan. Most of the weather has been going South of us this year.
I've used my snow thrower once this winter. Bummer.

jerry nazard
02-06-2010, 2:48 PM
It is still coming down here in Richmond, where your worst enemy is not the snow, but the other guy trying to drive in it. Nice day to be in the shop.

Brian Hale
02-06-2010, 2:51 PM
Here's a shot of what we've gotten so far....

That's the new garage/shop, almost completed....

Brian :)

David Bridgeman
02-06-2010, 3:07 PM
My wife is a nurse at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She works in the operating room of the Women's Surgical Center. There the do invetro fertilization. They had 3 procedures to do today at 8am. On transfer (putting a fertilzed egg back in) and 2 retrievals (taking an ovulating egg out). These are time based proceedures and must be done or the egg may die. Most of these folks are paying $10,000 a shot for the chance to get pregnant. If the procedure doesn't happen, especially the transfer, it is 10 grand down the drain.

We shoveled out and I drove her to the hospital. We left at 11ish. The snow plows cannot keep up. It is bad out there.

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Pray for rain and temps above 32 degrees!

I wouldn't want to have to shovel 30" of snow the old fashioned way :)

Matt Meiser
02-06-2010, 4:28 PM
Hard to say how much we got. Most places the grass is still sticking through but there are some 6" drifts and maybe even 12" in one spot behind the house. 50 miles south was supposed to be an entirely different story and when I ran down to Toledo this morning while LOML and LOMLjr were at the YMCA for swim lessons it seemed like they got more. Maybe a couple inches.

Roger Newby
02-06-2010, 4:30 PM
I honestly feel for you folks . I was stationed at Ft. Meade, MD. way back in 1972 when they had a 2" snow and the whole place shut down. You are more prepared now thanks to better predicting and warning, but it is still a kick in the highney. We expect that stuff all of the time here in Nebraska but it still is darned inconvenient, You just plan on some discomfort and hope the power stays on.

Hang in there.......Spring is coming......regardless of the groundhog:)

Tim Morton
02-06-2010, 6:30 PM
I honestly feel for you folks . I was stationed at Ft. Meade, MD. way back in 1972 when they had a 2" snow and the whole place shut down. You are more prepared now thanks to better predicting and warning, but it is still a kick in the highney. We expect that stuff all of the time here in Nebraska but it still is darned inconvenient, You just plan on some discomfort and hope the power stays on.

Hang in there.......Spring is coming......regardless of the groundhog:)

i was stationed at Pax River Md in 1980 and they got a dusting....same thing...shut down the whole state. I bet they hare having a blast with this....

Reporting from Vermont...not even a flurry up here:D

Chuck Wintle
02-06-2010, 6:45 PM
Been snowing here in Baltimore since yesterday around 3pm and now we have about 28" so far. Digging out will be a blast I am sure.
It's something we are used to in Canada! :D

James Ogle
02-06-2010, 7:02 PM
The Wife misses the snow. I don't. I was the one shoveling when we lived in NoVa. I will take pulling weeds like I did today over heavy wet white stuff any day of the week. Y'all stay safe up there. TO many non driving idiots even with out the snow, now it will be worse.

Keith Christopher
02-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Keith,

No pictures it didn't or in this case isn't happening :)

So true...so here you go !

As said before,, everyone stay safe and take your time if you're shoveling this mess. :)

In order, from the front door, the side of the house, the backyard (that's a cinderblock BBQ pit 4 blocks high) and my car, the scooped out snow is the top of my roof.

Keith

Keith Outten
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Keith,

Thanks for the pics. That is a lot of snow no matter where you live but certainly a shock to the folks who live in the mid-atlantic area.

We got five inches of snow today, it looks just like the first picture I posted earlier so I won't bother uploading another.

John Coloccia
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know how you guys can stand all that snow. Ya'll should move up here to New England.

I've always wanted to say that. LOL :D

Brian Effinger
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Don't take this the wrong way guys, but better you than me! ;) :D We've had a pretty average season here in western NY, so I can't really complain. These major storms keep missing us. The best part is, Lake Erie is almost entirely iced over, so that will cut down on the snow we get significantly.

Good luck to everyone in the mid-atlantic area. And don't worry - a few more weeks and it will be spring. :)

Brian

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't know how you guys can stand all that snow. Ya'll should move up here to New England.

I've always wanted to say that. LOL :D

HA! Nicely said!! :)

Alan Bienlein
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
I grew up in Dundalk across from Merrit Park. I miss the snow. I'd trade all the rain we are getting here for your snow! If I remember correctly back in '96 or '97 they had 3 weekends in a row with about 20" of snow each weekend. The sun came out not to long after that and melted it all. Made for a spetacular site at Conowingo dam when they had to open 52 of 54 flood gates.

Norberto Coutinho
02-07-2010, 11:18 AM
To all that are under snow = take 10 days of vacation and came to the hot brazilian carnaval. :D
http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1206135-7823-H+MULTIDAO+SEGUE+O+SIMPATIA+E+QUASE+AMOR+NA+PRAIA+ DE+IPANEMA,00.html

Bruce Volden
02-07-2010, 5:00 PM
I'd like to say I'm sorry 'bout the snow.......but, we got our 26" before Christmas and maybe another 16-18" since. AND IT'S STILL HERE!!!:mad:

Oh well, come April most of it will be gone and then we'll just have to put up with the soggy countryside roads:D This certainly has been a long winter, kinda like when I was a kid as most were bad then (60s-70s) goes to show how fast time slides by. I live in the country and we have just about run out of room to put the snow, don't see how the average city homeowner can cope with moving such large masses of the white stuff.

Bruce

Jeff Willard
02-07-2010, 6:27 PM
Well, we got about 22" in my part of the Confederacy. And we had snow last Tuesday, and last Saturday, and more is being called for this Tuesday:eek:.

Shoveling the snow isn't too bad. It's the layer of muck that's on the very bottom that roaches my back.

Bruce Page
02-07-2010, 6:38 PM
It's snowing pretty good here right now. I doubt we'll get 22" though. :D

Jim Becker
02-07-2010, 6:47 PM
We didn't get as much snow as folks not much farther south (like in the City of Philadelphia they got 28+"), but it was still a "winter wonderland".

Craig D Peltier
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Weird weather in the country. I guess El Nino changed alot of weather patterns this year?
Its been 41 days above normal here in seattle. Weather mostly all winter has been in the 50s. Only seen 1/2 inch of snow. Havent seen weather below freezing since before holidays.
Last year by January 5th we had 3 feet of snow already.
We have daffodils and tulips blooming!

Matt Meiser
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
On the bright side, today should be a good day--the federal government is shut down. :)

We are on target for 6-10" tomorrow afternoon into Wednesday so our luck might have just run out.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Watch out, next storm is here, on it's way to you!!! :eek:
We've got rain today. Supposed to get rain/snow Wed. evening and all day Thurs. Mid 20s both nights, mid 40s during the day. Jim.

Jeff Willard
02-08-2010, 5:10 PM
As of right now they're calling for another 6-10" in the D.C. area between tomorrow and Wednesday.

I just made the trip home from work down 395/95. It was like a ride in a covered wagon down the Oregon Trail. 15 miles and I saw five single car accidents. None serious, just spun out/parked in a snow bank.

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2010, 5:19 PM
Stay safe! We would gladly take some out here. We are extremely short of snow this year and we will have a terrible forest fire season as a result.

Like you Ken, we've had almost no snow, very unusual, I don't think I've ever seen a winter with this little snow.

In February I can often wear winter motorcycle gear and ride a few days if the salt is gone, it's kind of nice riding along beside snow banks on dry pavement.

This year however there's no snow, a bad sign for water tables.

So, enjoy your snow days in the eastern states.........Regards, Rod.

Cary Falk
02-08-2010, 5:43 PM
WOW! I sure don't miss the snow. It's currently 50 degrees here. Gotta love the PNW.

Butch Edwards
02-08-2010, 7:15 PM
well... we're expecting our THIRD major storm tomorrow... with up to 20" possible here. I do snow removal @ the VA hospital, and I have 40 hrs OT JUST THIS WEEKEND, and we had 30" !!! now, more coming, with yet another snow forecasted for next Monday.... we've had large snows before, but never 3(possibly FOUR) storm in a winter... this is unprecidented. I for one belive that this should permanently dispell ALL talk of global warming, as the temps are forecasted to be below noirmal thru the end of the month... at least 10* below normal, as has been most of the winter. this weather is better related to Canada/Alaska... not WVa. for those in the East, get ready for a blizzard on this one, as VERY strong winds will accompany THIS storm... oh well... can't change it. I'm ready for spring,myself......:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
02-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Yup, another 20 or so inches tomorrow. That'll give us, ooooooh, a good 50+ inches... without a whole lot of melting in sight... I'm a skier, and sick of this right now! Not because of skiing in it, but because of shoveling and general moving of it. We have a horse farm (5 horses)...

AND I was away in NY at a ski competition this weekend. Soooooo, my wife and mom had a GREAT time taking care of the farm this weekend. Boy am I going to hear about this one for a LONG time to come...

Ray Bell
02-09-2010, 12:54 AM
I certainly sympathize with you folks back east. You are getting hammered this winter. Here in eastern Washington we have had very little snow, and unusually warm temperatures. Very little snow in the Cascades also. Going to be some dry reservoirs this year.

Myk Rian
02-09-2010, 9:44 AM
Will it make any of you easterners feel better if I tell you south Michigan is finally getting more than our present max of 4"?

Dan Mages
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
We are going to get 6-12 here in Central CT. But another 20 in DC?? I guess Hell does freeze over!!

Dan

Brian Shepley
02-09-2010, 1:50 PM
Will it make any of you easterners feel better if I tell you south Michigan is finally getting more than our present max of 4"?

We're finally getting a bit here as well.. there's about 3" on the ground already.

Nice tool chest.. think I've seen that somewhere before. :)

Tony De Masi
02-09-2010, 2:16 PM
30"+ last weekend. HOLY CRAP!! I have a 1/4 mile driveway that goes down hill from the house then back up to the main roadway. I have a full size atv with a plow but I was overmatched on this storm. I had no idea how I was going to get out. Not that I really needed to. Sunday morning a gentleman that I had do some excavation work for me last spring just showed up out of nowhere and started plowing me out. I couldn't believe it. Then to top it off he said he wouldn't take any payment either. I couldn't let that one go so I did pay him anyway. He said he knew I would have major problems getting out and he just wanted to help. I knew I moved to the country for a reason, but this just adds to those I already knew.

Tony

p.s. - 16-20 more coming tonight. cant' wait

Jeff Willard
02-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I was at work and first noticed it falling about 6 p.m. Just walked in the door and we have a brand new 2 1/2" on the ground already:eek:. Thissuns gonna be fun. I'm not going back to work until Saturday.

Ray Bell
02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
30"+ last weekend. HOLY CRAP!! I have a 1/4 mile driveway that goes down hill from the house then back up to the main roadway. I have a full size atv with a plow but I was overmatched on this storm. I had no idea how I was going to get out. Not that I really needed to. Sunday morning a gentleman that I had do some excavation work for me last spring just showed up out of nowhere and started plowing me out. I couldn't believe it. Then to top it off he said he wouldn't take any payment either. I couldn't let that one go so I did pay him anyway. He said he knew I would have major problems getting out and he just wanted to help. I knew I moved to the country for a reason, but this just adds to those I already knew.

Tony

p.s. - 16-20 more coming tonight. cant' wait

Nice to know there are still nice people around eh tony. It's the way things should be, but are often not. Helping each other!

Dennis Peacock
02-10-2010, 3:48 PM
Well, here's a good one for ya......Here in the south? I measured almost 9" of snow in my yard. That's more snow than I've ever seen since coming back from overseas duty in the early 80's. We've had sleet, freezing rain, and snow this year with the coldest temps I can remember since moving here in 1999.

Everybody stay safe and warm.....and just think...they are forecasting more snow for us here this week.!!! :eek:

Myk Rian
02-10-2010, 4:26 PM
Nice tool chest.. think I've seen that somewhere before. :)
Thanks. It's an oil paint chest I made for my sister. She loves it.

Curt Harms
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
72" and counting so far this year. That's about 2 normal years worth and the season is not over yet. The only thing worse now would be 50 degrees and rain:eek:. We didn't get much this past weekend--about 10"-12". South of here got it worse, D.C. & South Jersey. This go-round we got about 18"-20" and South Jersey didn't get hammered as bad so I guess it works out.

Mike Cruz
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Yup, Baltimore and DC did too. This is just nuts... N...V...T...S... nuts!