PDA

View Full Version : why I chose Grizzly over PM or FP( jointer )

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Newbie here ,
I found this site while researching on reviews while shopping for a jointer.
1st off I want to thank the people who runs this forum, top notch which while I was a lurker I learned alot....
Ok, I found myself scrolling on Craigs List, which by the way, can be good and bad experience..
I found 2 fella's selling acouple of jointers, one type was the Fox Pro 8 inch, he said he was quiting woodshop work to go spend more time with his family, he was asking $1000 for the jointer, I researched the FP extensively cause I had to be sure I could convince my wife it was a great deal. After dodging afew mouthy words from my wife I called the guy and got him down to $875, he wouldn't budge below that. I was set, and ready to pick up, then I found a fella selling 2 jointers, a Powermatic 54A 6inch and a Grizzly G0490 8inch, he wanted $850 for the PM but I got him down to $650, the Grizzly he wanted $750 and wouldn't budge below..
So I decided what the heck it wouldn't hurt to go look right?
I scheduled a pick up ( after renting a 5x8 enclosed uhaul trailer and not too mention driving 120 miles from my house )from a guy on CL for a 5 year old delta lathe Model # 46-701 he got for fathers day where all he did was turn it on then pushed it back in his shop to never try it out. Let me tell ya, this lathe even had the price tag on it, lathe with floor stand $400, yup, had to get it. So while going to pick it up I decided to plan a trip to see the 2 jointers. Grizzly & PM..
I met the guy and he showed me how the PM worked, I noticed right off the bat the size difference from the PM to the Grizzly, as he was putting some wood thru the PM he had trouble lining it up on the top plate to push the board all the way thru, it kepted catching, also the back plate would not stay tightened enuff, the blades had chips in them and when he finally got the board to push thru it just seemed it had a hard time cutting it.
So I ask him to show me the Grizzly, powered up at 230 amps he pushed a oak board thru it like it was hot butter...
I had $700 cash and was $50 short, he said he didn't care which one he sold that he was going to keep the one that was left. So I wrote him a check for $50 bucks annd loaded up the Grizzly to include an extra set of blades. For me the Grizzly seemed better built and easier to adjust.
Then on my journey back home ( cedartown from cleveland ga ) I stopped off in atlanta to meet a guy for Frued router bits he was selling for $60 bucks, 12 new bits in a wooden box, heck I couldn't resist that, those will go good with the Jet Shaper I got from a fella ( yes off CL )3 weeks ago for $300.
The Jet, Grizzly and Delta tools were so little used I couldn't believe I got them all for $1450 !
I picked up a Steel City 10 inch commercial grade table saw from a fella in warner robbins and traded him for a new m-16 rifle ( I only had $400 in the rifle ) The saw was purchased by the warner Robbins HS for the wood shop class, he was the shop teacher, they put it in storage 2 years ago and never push a piece of wood thru it cause it didn't have a safty stop on it.
Needless to say, I think all the above purchases were great deals.

Now my question to you experts, can I convert the Grizzly G0490 to use the spindle cutters???? Cause the Fox Pro has these and that was one of the key features I liked, I see now that Grizzly's G0490X uses the sprial cutterheads..

Sorry for the lengthy intro, but hey I love this sight and definately will be here to stay.

Garrett

Glen Butler
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a gloat. Glad you got such a great deal. And welcome to the forum. Your terminology is a little confusing. Convert the 0490 to use spindle cutters? Did you in fact mean spiral cutterhead? I appears you answered that question yourself. Again welcome.

glenn bradley
02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Welcome. The G0490 can be changed to a spiral head. I hae the G0490X and a spiral head was one of my 'must haves' on my list. A well tuned knife machine will do a beautiful job and you will probably run that baby for awhile before the spiral head demons start whispering in your ear. The spiral is quieter (I wear phones so don't really care) and deals with irregular grain patters better.

I was buying new and upgrading from the 6" that EVERYONE (except a couple guys) warned me would have a short stay in my shop. They were right so, as long as I was going for it I made a list of 'must haves' to help me decide. My use of figured woods put the spiral on my list. If I had been shopping used and found that G0490, I would have gotten it too.

You'll love the long beds, high fence, power and ease of adjustment on this thing. The mobile base comes in handy too without being in the way . . . like the one on my bandsaw that I bang my foot on (and never move) . . . hmmmmm.

Van Huskey
02-06-2010, 5:18 PM
Wecome. Just FYI on the Creek if there are no pictures it didn't happen.

Have fun takes some pictures of your tresure and post a gloat thread.

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 7:17 PM
Wecome. Just FYI on the Creek if there are no pictures it didn't happen.

Have fun takes some pictures of your tresure and post a gloat thread.

lol well i wasnt gloating, I was just explaining what deals I found and it was thx too this forum..

But you want pictures?
I'll give ya pictures....
BRB !

ever saw a woodshop with #1 red oak tongue and groove??

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 7:41 PM
Welcome. The G0490 can be changed to a spiral head. I hae the G0490X and a spiral head was one of my 'must haves' on my list. A well tuned knife machine will do a beautiful job and you will probably run that baby for awhile before the spiral head demons start whispering in your ear. The spiral is quieter (I wear phones so don't really care) and deals with irregular grain patters better.

I was buying new and upgrading from the 6" that EVERYONE (except a couple guys) warned me would have a short stay in my shop. They were right so, as long as I was going for it I made a list of 'must haves' to help me decide. My use of figured woods put the spiral on my list. If I had been shopping used and found that G0490, I would have gotten it too.

You'll love the long beds, high fence, power and ease of adjustment on this thing. The mobile base comes in handy too without being in the way . . . like the one on my bandsaw that I bang my foot on (and never move) . . . hmmmmm.

changing the blades to a spiral cutter head, is there any adapters I need to buy???

Kevin Womer
02-06-2010, 8:05 PM
How do you like your table saw? I have a SC 3hp-like night and day from the Delta Contractor saw I had.

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 8:15 PM
How do you like your table saw? I have a SC 3hp-like night and day from the Delta Contractor saw I had.

Lets just say the SC 3hp cuts anything so far like hot butter, of course its 230 amp, this saw was an upgrade from my dewalt contractor saw. needless to say I shouldn't ever have to buy another one again...
I made myself a caster foot for it, wasnt any need in spending money on something like that, casters from HD and scrap wood, works perfect for me.
I give it a 10 out of 1-10

mike wacker
02-06-2010, 8:39 PM
OK Garrette,

Its 230 volts, not amps. An M-16 is a FULLY automatic version of the commonly owned by civilians, AR-15. If you sold an M-16 privately you have badly broken the law as well as sold a rifle worth at least 4 to 6 times your total tool investment.

Kevin Womer
02-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Lets just say the SC 3hp cuts anything so far like hot butter, of course its 230 amp, this saw was an upgrade from my dewalt contractor saw. needless to say I shouldn't ever have to buy another one again...
I made myself a caster foot for it, wasnt any need in spending money on something like that, casters from HD and scrap wood, works perfect for me.
I give it a 10 out of 1-10

I concur, I have had it since summer and have ripped quite a lot on it-as you say, "like a hot knife through butter." I do use a Forrest and have been cutting some cherry lately, I am getting used to not having burn marks on it. I think I can learn to live with it. I am even more pleased with table saws in general, I have it tuned well and it stays tuned going from 90 to varying bevels and back again. Good luck with your new toys!

Tony Shea
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Very nice gloat. Congrats.

Its 230 volts, not amps. An M-16 is a FULLY automatic version of the commonly owned by civilians, AR-15. If you sold an M-16 privately you have badly broken the law as well as sold a rifle worth at least 4 to 6 times your total tool investment.

I would have to agree with this guy on both comments. 230Amps would be some serious power consumption, probably more than the service going to the house/shop. At max I bet you only have a 200amp service and if all that was used you would probably get a call from the power company at the least. Anyways... I'm assuming it was actaully an AR15. If so who makes it. Now a days those things are gettin a serious price tag, not sure why though. I'll take an old Winchester model94 anyday over them black plastic things. Or a nice Sako heavy barrel Varmint 75. Going off topic.

All in all though I think you've come out very well. A griz 8" jointer is the next thing on my list and would love to come across one on Craiglist for a good deal. Been checking it for months with no luck.

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
OK Garrette,

ok typo 230 amps
Stand corrected, AR 15

geesh is everyone so touchy on here??:confused:

Garrett Brumit
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Very nice gloat. Congrats.

I would have to agree with this guy on both comments. 230Amps would be some serious power consumption, probably more than the service going to the house/shop. At max I bet you only have a 200amp service and if all that was used you would probably get a call from the power company at the least. Anyways... I'm assuming it was actaully an AR15. If so who makes it. Now a days those things are gettin a serious price tag, not sure why though. I'll take an old Winchester model94 anyday over them black plastic things. Or a nice Sako heavy barrel Varmint 75. Going off topic.

All in all though I think you've come out very well. A griz 8" jointer is the next thing on my list and would love to come across one on Craiglist for a good deal. Been checking it for months with no luck.

It was a DPMS model, I traded a Gheenoe which I bought for $400, so I traded the boat for the AR 15, gun sells for around $600 dollars, seeing how the man wanted the AR 15 ( 223 cal ) more than he wanted the saw for ( cause he didnt have any room for it )
I think I made a pretty good, besides having to strain to load it on my pickup truck was the hardest thing I had to do for it

Tony Shea
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I'd say you did well with the gun to table saw trade then. DPMS supposedly makes a nice AR though. But I would have done the same thing as you and take the TS anyday over the AR. Then again I have zero use for an AR and could rack up some serious hours on a Table Saw. It's amazing what people will do these days to get their hands on an AR15. Well played sir.