PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood Bowl

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2004, 4:11 PM
This spalted dogwood bowl came from a log I found in a trash pile beside the road in my hometown. It had died from disease and old age. The tree was large for a dogwood, this bowl is 12 in. by 5 in. and has a pink color to it which is unusual for dogwood around here. You will see a place where a void was in the bowl, I repaired this with coffee grounds and thin CA glue. I finished it with 3 coats of witches brew (1/3 equal parts of polymerized tung oil, spar varnish, and turpentine). I then buffed it with the Beal Buffing System. It has a rolled lip, and the wood is very dense. Comments are welcomed.

Richard Allen
10-24-2004, 5:38 PM
What a beautiful bowl. I like the rim work.

John Shuk
10-24-2004, 5:43 PM
Very nice bowl. I like the lip as well. I like the finish as well. It looks nice and crisp if that makes sense. I'd love to hear more about the coffee grounds. Are they used? How fine are they grounds? Either way nice bowl.

Michael Stafford
10-24-2004, 5:47 PM
Mighty nice, Glenn. A beautiful piece of wood turned and finished to its best advantage. By the way, JCCFS is one of my favorite places. Last week was my second trip but not my last. Would love to run into you up there some time...

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-24-2004, 7:25 PM
The only comments you should get on this piece are positive ones.

I may steal your "coffe grounds" idea. How did you hold them in place while the CA cured?

Bruce

Steve Clardy
10-24-2004, 7:52 PM
Now that's one fine bowl. I also like the Rim pattern.:D

Steve:)

Ted Okolichany
10-24-2004, 8:17 PM
Glen,

I live in the mountains of westren N.C and was bleesed with a large dogwood that fell from my neighbors horse pasture unto my property. Some of it is splated also. I have turned lots of dogwood, and it makes some very nice bowls, etc.

The redness in the wood might indicate the tree was a red dogwood, we have them up here too.

Nice job on turning the bowl..

Cheers,

Ted

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2004, 8:46 PM
Cheap as I am I prefer used dry coffee grounds, fill the void, saturate the grounds with thin CA glue and let it dry naturally. Using the accelerator will cause the CA to produce the white fuzz, which I do not want. I am trying to make this look like wood or bark inclusion. If the void is all the way through the bowl I use the blue masking tape to keep the grounds and CA glue from comming out the other side. Hope this helps. Thanks for your kind comments.
The spin starts here.

Keith Outten
10-24-2004, 9:10 PM
Glenn,

I'm hooked now and looking for some Dogwood to turn. Dogwood is our state tree and it is illegal to harvest a Dogwood tree in Virginia so it looks like I will have to place an order somewhere to get some to turn.

Thanks for the picture Glenn, very nice work.

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2004, 9:14 PM
This came out of the same tree, and is the same size as the other and I used the same finish. The void on this one is repaired with resin colored with gray acrylic paint.

John Miliunas
10-24-2004, 9:49 PM
Both are simply beautiful, Glenn! :) Don't believe I've ever seen Spalted Dogwood, but it sure is pretty! You've given that tree a second life! :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks Glen, I was thinking Masking tape, but Blue Painters tape makes more sense.

The second one is beautiful, too

Bruce

Jim Becker
10-25-2004, 2:39 AM
Beautiful...very "Creamy" as dogwood often is. Nice job!

Gary Max
10-25-2004, 6:52 AM
The bowls are just GREAT---I like the repair--shows how much the bowl wanted to make it. Keep the Lathe spinning and the pics coming.

Michael Stafford
10-25-2004, 7:34 AM
Glenn, the second bowl is as beautiful as the first! It is hard to believe it came from the same tree. When you cut the blanks did you have any indication that the wood was so different? Very interesting that woods so different could come from the same tree. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Alan Ryalls
10-25-2004, 7:37 AM
Glen I like that bowl,the form and rim is spot on,and the ideas with the coffee grounds is new to me, I have heard of people using brass filings from the local key cutting store, mixed with CA ,but coffee seems more natural.
Keep the ideas and pictures coming,regards Alan.........

Dominic Greco
10-25-2004, 7:53 AM
Very nicely done! I like the flare at the rim as well as the shape you turned.

I have some dogwood sitting in the wood pile and just haven't had a chance to get to it. Now you put a real bug in my ear to get it turned. And fast!

Tyler Howell
10-25-2004, 8:18 AM
I will not be seduced by the dark side, I will not be seduced by the dark side, I will no..............:cool:

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments. Nature made this wood, and I just happened to find it. I saw some figure when I cut the log into, but never dreamed they would turn out like this. I left them pretty thick to dry, coated the blanks with Anchorseal and let them dry for about 6 months. They warped and split pretty bad, that is why I had to do so much repair. One person said he would be afraid to remount the first one because it might fly apart when I stuck a gouge to it, so I stuck CA glue into anything that even looked like a crack. Anyway luck and nature had a lot to what you are seeing here. I have a few more pieces of the tree, but they don't have the character of these pieces that came from the lower part of the tree.
Thanks again.

John Shuk
10-25-2004, 8:13 PM
Glenn both are awesome. That spalted bowl is just out of this world.